By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - TV characters playing videogames never seem to look or sound right.

Anybody else ever notice that when a TV character is playing videogames there are one or more things that just aren't right?  There's frantic/unrealistic finger movements on the controllers.  There's consoles with no wires coming out of the back (example: Everybody Loves Raymond).  There's modern game consoles being played and Atari 2600-ish sound effects.  There was an episode of Scrubs with Turk playing an FPS 2 player with Janitor and then Carla, but there was no split-screen.  There's tons of examples like this from numerous TV shows.  It seems nitpicky to bring up, but anything that ruins the suspension of disbelief that makes the best TV shows so much fun is annoying.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

I agree, its like in Shaun Of The Dead and their playing Time Splitters and 'player 2 has joined, left' is heard

At least, True Blood had Dead Space Extraction.. before it was out.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Also, this might be more Film than TV but.. I'm not a huge fan of Police Academy so please don't shoot me.. I remember one Police Academy film where they were discussing "The Game" and they were playing a Gameboy without a cartidge, I just laughed.

Pixel Art can be fun.

thats not the worst part look at them playing with the controller

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
Also, this might be more Film than TV but.. I'm not a huge fan of Police Academy so please don't shoot me.. I remember one Police Academy film where they were discussing "The Game" and they were playing a Gameboy without a cartidge, I just laughed.

I'm pretty sure I remember Jackie Chan giving the handicapped kid a Game Gear with no cartridge in Rumble In The Bronx.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

I remember the South Park episode with Guitar Hero and I thought I was seeing a White PS2 with a 360 controller. I nearly died.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Yeah, it's a horrible. It really annoys me.

in Charlie's angels the movie, some kids are playing final fantasy 7 as a multi player game

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

in an episode of MONK they had snoop dog holding xbox360 controller and playing a game that was nothing more than 2 badly drawn illustrations switching back and forth, it looked hilariously bad.

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite