By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Im buying a new video card, what do I need to know?

Cougarman said:

350w? that is pushing it, the graphics card alone needs 250w, add CPU, RAM, hard drive and DVD burner and you got yourself a system that will need more than 400w to run smoothly, you could run it with 400w power supply but your system wont last  very long, power supply is probably the only part you should not cheap out on when it comes to PC.

Well, worst case power will be higher than 350W. But typically even a high end PC with dual graphics cards and a >120W CPU will draw maybe 200W at load. Look at some reviews of high-end hardware at techreport.com and elsewhere. So if you're willing to risk it then 350W can do it. Personally I would do >=450W from a quality brand.

Around the Network

my specs for those interested

*** I thought my video card was 6800 : / oh well ***

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

4GB DDR2 RAM

320 GB SATA harddrive

NVidia GeForce 7100 / NVidia NForce 630i

so how much does a 500W PSU usually run at?

O-D-C said:
my specs for those interested

*** I thought my video card was 6800 : / oh well ***

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

4GB DDR2 RAM

320 GB SATA harddrive

NVidia GeForce 7100 / NVidia NForce 630i

Okey. Your CPU or RAM definitely won't be bottlenecks. =) I recommend HD4850 if you want good graphics card for cheap. I bought myself one couple of months ago. Costed 99€ and my sapphire model has special fan so it is quiet and doesn't get hot even though I have overclocked it. HD4850 also runs (with your CPU) those games you listed in OP easily with higest settings.

I'd say Radeon HD 4770. Low power consumption and good performance.

Around the Network

I recommend the Radeon HD 4870 1GB. Best bang for your buck.

looks like everyone is sayign Radeon HD 4870 range... Ill look into it

thanks alot guys

now who makes good PSU's and whast not expensive in the 450W-500W range?

Try GPU-Z. Whatever you're using right now could be picking up the integrated graphics rather than a discrete 6800.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Yeah with those specs going up to the 4870 1GB could be a good idea. But it depends on what games and what resolution; please post them.

Assassin's Creed needs a powrful GPU to look good on PC.

I bet u want Resi 5 too, and maybe S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Oblivion?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Oblivion look incredible with graphics mods, but need lots of hardware power.

Heeyy i just signed up :p.
Anywho to business, since the 5870 has just become available i suggest you wait for the mid range 5 series as they will be here very soon. Apart from the 5 series id say get maybe the hd4670. It is cheap, will run the games you mentioned (being not too far from 8800gs/9600gso performance) and will not require any power from a power supply, runs just off the mobo :). Tho as i say, better to wait for mid 5 series, never know the 5670 may not require any power from power supply either and if thats the case that would be a perfect card for you.