By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy 12

This is my first FF and made me a JRPG and FF fan. Story and character was bad but battle system, graphic, gambit system, Ivalice world, monster, and everything else was great. FFXII was my 2nd most fav FF game after FFVII.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Well, I'll be the contrary voice, because I absolutely loved the history of FFXII and some of it's characters. All of the political puppeteiring, backstabbing, megalomaniac and demagogical intentions of Vayne, while on the contrast you have the honest-to-a-fault, naive queen getting entangled in all this backlash while her country suffers from the massive scale of the ensuing war of the grander nations of Ivalice.
Even the Gabranth/Basch story arc was great, IMO.

Also the battle system was one of the best in all FF, and i didn't use the gambit system once, since I love to think out and execute my own strategies.

i AGREE!.

Khuutra said:
lestatdark said:
@Khuutra

Wait....you actually liked FFXII story too??? I thought i was the only one in here :P

It's the best story in the series, and has three of the best villains in Gabranth, Vayne, and Venat. Gabranth is the best-written character in the history of the franchise. Basch and Ashe are two of the best heroes, and it is onne of the most thematically tight and consistent games in the series since FFIV.

It's not just good, it's legitimately great, a crowning jewel for the franchise, and it always frustrates me to see so many people who miss the point of it.

Wow, that's really, really arrogant. People don't dislike it because they "miss the point", they dislike it because the writing is cringey (same as always for FF), the pacing is miserable and nowhere near enough time is put into developing the characters. The themes of the story are very cool though and it promised a lot at the start, it just didn't bother delivering.

It must be very difficult for you having to constantly enlighten morons.

good story

FF12 was one of my favorite FFs. The story was crap, but it was obvious that they didn't want the story to be the strongest point of the game. Most people that hate the game are the hardcore FF fans that don't like change in the series they play. FF12 was more about a huge immersive world and fun gameplay. I didn't even care about the story. I spent around 170 hours just doing random side stuff and leveling my characters.

I'm guessing they were aiming for more of a WRPG story. Look at Oblivion. It's characters and story are 10 times more boring than the story of FF12. But no, you don't see people hate on Oblivion because the story was crap. It's only FF12 just because it's an FF.

Around the Network
zone16 said:

FF12 was one of my favorite FFs. The story was crap, but it was obvious that they didn't want the story to be the strongest point of the game. Most people that hate the game are the hardcore FF fans that don't like change in the series they play. FF12 was more about a huge immersive world and fun gameplay. I didn't even care about the story. I spent around 170 hours just doing random side stuff and leveling my characters.

I'm guessing they were aiming for more of a WRPG story. Look at Oblivion. It's characters and story are 10 times more boring than the story of FF12. But no, you don't see people hate on Oblivion because the story was crap. It's only FF12 just because it's an FF.

Have to agree. FFXII strongest selling point is the huge immersive world, gameplay, music and exploration. Story wasn't bad but neither engaging. Character wasn't as memorable as the other games, but they work. And anyone claiming that the battle system is playing the game for you is simply lying. The player still does the thinking, game just executes what you want to do. And you can simply make the command manually if you don't have the gambit yet. You're the brain and the gambits are your muscles.

Mojo said:

So I just finished FF12 for the second time. It has been about 2 years since I played it through the first time. My first time through I remember thinking the story was kind of confusing and never really drew me in, but I thought this second time more of it would sink in. To be honest I don't think much of it has. At the end of the game I realised that I never really felt that connected with the characters. Also, there were moments where I went from one area to the next and never totally understodd why except for the game said "go here".

Don't get me wrong, I thought the game was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the enemies on  the overworld and the whole gambit system. Once I realised that it removed the need to constantly hit the X button every turn, so much of the annoying older system was removed, even if I did feel a little less involved during the battles.

So I'm just curious, did anyone else feel the same?

I've been a huge final fantasy fan since the mid 90's when FF4 was my poison. And I have to say I absolutely loved FF12. I don't get why people hate on it. I also don't understand the arrogance with some fans "Well , I don't like it, so obviously nobody likes it! RAA FF6 is GOD. The game was a masterpiece. IMO All Final Fantasy's are...even.......8....

The thing is, that the fans who cling onto their 8 bit gods like those were the only true Final Fantasy games, are never going to be happy with what comes out from now on. If you remake FF4 and 6, then its a sin against those original games. If you make something new, then you are breaking from the mold of that which they love.

It's a no win situation for Square.

dorbin2009 sums up the entire sentiment going on with FF fans nowadays. I've been a fan of the series since the Nes days, I even got to play Jap imports because of how much I loved the series. Even since then, i've found that every FF is a masterpiece unto itself, while some can be better than the others, they each are unique and superb.
The problem is, as he said, that there is a vocal group of people who think that they, and they alone, have the right to decide what makes a FF and what doesn't, who is a FF fan and who isn't, just because they put on a pedestal the SNES games, mainly.
Hopefully Square continues to push the innovations and try for higher reaches with each new FF release, because that's what FF should always strive for, to be the best in the best in the RPG genre.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I liked it. The story, Ashe, Balthier

kennyrester said:
Khuutra said:
lestatdark said:
@Khuutra

Wait....you actually liked FFXII story too??? I thought i was the only one in here :P

It's the best story in the series, and has three of the best villains in Gabranth, Vayne, and Venat. Gabranth is the best-written character in the history of the franchise. Basch and Ashe are two of the best heroes, and it is onne of the most thematically tight and consistent games in the series since FFIV.

It's not just good, it's legitimately great, a crowning jewel for the franchise, and it always frustrates me to see so many people who miss the point of it.

Wow, that's really, really arrogant. People don't dislike it because they "miss the point", they dislike it because the writing is cringey (same as always for FF), the pacing is miserable and nowhere near enough time is put into developing the characters. The themes of the story are very cool though and it promised a lot at the start, it just didn't bother delivering.

It must be very difficult for you having to constantly enlighten morons.

In the first place, "missing the point" is not a comment on the intelligence of the person participating, it has more to do with the expectations that a person has and whether or not those expectations affect one's ability to enjoy the game. I would argue that a person who goes into FFXII expecting storytelling tropes like those in FFVIII or FFX are missing the point, but it is not a failure of their intelligence, it's just a consequence of expectations not meeting the product they were given or vice versa. Sometimes people can't adjust their expectations to fit the product, and that isn't their fault, but it's very much missing the point.

You can rattle off a laundry list of thigns that you see as being wrong with the game, but that won't change the way the script is viewed by many, and I would go so far as to say that even a body of the game's detractors , such as Jerry Holkins, acknowledge the script as masterful and the localization effort the best that's ever gone into the franchise.

The pacing is something that will come out according to how you play the game, but that thing about developing the characters does in fact suggest that your expectations for the game were not in keeping with the kind of storytelling that you were given: that's not your fault, but yes, it's missing the point. The characters were all developed, but it was through a method in keeping with theater rather than movies, and there were almost no flashbacks like those used in the entire rest of the series. I found the storytelling much stronger for it, and the characterizations both richer and more genuine, but I do not begrudge the point.

I would never go so far as t o call a person a moron, neither because of their tastes in video games nor because of the arguments they use to put forth those tastes. I will, however, argue that they imss the point of the game, which many do.