By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

Hephaestos said:

well yeah PC is better, but the gap is definitely getting thinner...

soon PCs will get life like graphics (almost is on the forest pictures) and consoles will folow... all that will be left will be :
_ the ability to zoom and not loose quality
_ density of the area (more ennemies, trees)
_ animation of more objects
_ perfecting light effects

that's about it.... in 20 years your only difference will be running 120 fps or 150 fps....

that is why consoles need motion control and other inovations... otherwise they can't have a next gen!

exactly, consoles must differentiate themselves from PC, or else they'll be crushed, as there will be no need for consoles when a PC can play anything that consoles do, and do even more.

Around the Network

Either that, or they'll just have to turn the console into a PC as they seem to be doing.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
Domicinator said:
KillerMan said:
Slimebeast said:
leo-j said:
Im not even going to post an argument since the internet is consisting of PC fans everywhere, so let me not even say a thing. Ive had several crysis arguments before

Too bad. We need your support leo. To break the myth of PC superiority.

It is a fact that PC is superior when it comes to graphics. It's not myth.

Agreed--it's definitely not a myth.  The PC is capable of much better graphics than the consoles.  The question is if the juice is worth the squeeze.  In most cases, it's really not. 

100% agreement, the cost of getting a PC to get to the spec's that people as gamer's want is too rich for my blood, I look at it as if you want to game on the PC that's fine but with more and more gamer's In MY OPINION loot to game on the console over the PC due to the cost mainly. 

YES the PC will alway's have the SPEC's to overshadow the game Console. but unlike before the developer's for platforms are going to determine the system requirement's of game's, and for all of the Spec's that the PC is able to get there is still the min. requirement's to run any game and that is what the developer mainly target's to gather the most gamer's. the very high end spec's is all very good and nice but very few have those high spec's without spending more money.

that's One reason why looking at this generation , the console game machines are getting more high quality PC game's more than they ever did before. so some gamer's view updating their PC is pretty much a waste of money, since most of the big game's are across both the console's and PC's. 

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Here's the problem.

Very few graphically intensive games are built with the PC in mind. If you take Crysis out, (and even then , I believe I read somewhere that the company is going to be putting the Console as its priority in the future), then what you have left is a plethora of strategy, RTS, and ports coming to the PC.

So while you can "make" a PC that would crush any console on the market, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it nearly as much as you used to be able to.

dorbin2009 said:
Here's the problem.

Very few graphically intensive games are built with the PC in mind. If you take Crysis out, (and even then , I believe I read somewhere that the company is going to be putting the Console as its priority in the future), then what you have left is a plethora of strategy, RTS, and ports coming to the PC.

So while you can "make" a PC that would crush any console on the market, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it nearly as much as you used to be able to.

because the number of PC gamer's vs' game console's is pretty much a moot point anyway now, because most if not all the main game's that are being released will also be for game console's also.

that's one of the big points about both Microsoft and to a lesser extent Sony.

the more software game's that are being made today are not just hitting the PC are also going to the game console's, because this time the game console's have high enough spec's to be about even with the min. system requirement's of PC's to run the same game. the same will be with the next generation also. the High end PC gamer spec's is nice and all , but the developer's would need far more sale's to that high level of spec's in the market to make that the priority of development, which is most likely never going to happen.

Due to the cost involved for the consumer.

the big point is :

yes you can have the PC to outstrip any game console, but not enough to matter where it matter's most for the developer

high end  PC spec's = small market

vs'

low end PC specs+game console's= large market

it's a matter of number's which the high end PC gamer rig's will most likely never attain due to cost.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
Peterisyum said:
see I dont agree there, while yes crysis does look better than any game this gen, it doesnt look like it is a gen better, thats why i think crysis 2 will be a much better comparison as thats on consoles as well as pc

Now, I'm curious as to what a "gen better" looks like. Is that better than betterer is it it betterest?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

The majority of ppl in this thread need to GTFO, or STFU.

Stay on topic geez, this is not a Pc/Console war thread, he asked a simple question, just give a simple fucking answer.

MMROPGS and Awesome Blizzard titles are the only thing left from the PC universe that I desire on my console.

But again, Crysis 2 PC versus Crysis 2 on the 360/PS3 is gonna be laughable.

It's just that simple.

blunty51 said:
The majority of ppl in this thread need to GTFO, or STFU.

Stay on topic geez, this is not a Pc/Console war thread, he asked a simple question, just give a simple fucking answer.

that's the problem, PC's have and alway's will out pace the game console's in graphics, because you can update the graphic's cards in the PC.

which you cannot do in the game consoles, this generation both the xbox360 and the PS3 are able to upgrade their harddrives. but that is far and away just a minor upgrade vs' the cost for new GPU's, in some cases the GPU's for PC's price wise are worth more than the PS3 or the xbox360 together that's the GPU by itself.

what the OP stated is not anything that should not even be in doubt. PC's have the capability to outstrip the game console in graphic's. now that does depend on the PC.

but it's a matter of does it matter?

when the Majority of all 3rd party publisher's of new software being released by developer's  are also going to the Game consoles and PC also it is pretty much a moot point. For those that like the highest quality in Graphic's for their game's, I think that's great.

to the developer's that want to take advantage of that high end hardware , that's great also.

what matter's is that today game's you would have only seen hit the PC are now hitting the Game console's and vice versa, now is a time to be a gamer.

I AM BOLO

ps:

They already have, and have for a quite some time.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,