By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

I can remember that, for me last gen, it was the difference in quality between the xbox and pc versions of half life 2, that game looked like a watercoloured painting done by a 3rd grader on xbox, on pc it looked phenominal, so when do you guys think we will see this difference so obviously, and what game might show it? Im starting to think that crysis 2 will be the first to show that the console technology is starting to age. so about 2011 is my guess for when a pc game will look a gen better than the consoles

Around the Network

It has already happened. Crysis looks with highest settings far better than any console game released.

2007? when crysis was released.

see I dont agree there, while yes crysis does look better than any game this gen, it doesnt look like it is a gen better, thats why i think crysis 2 will be a much better comparison as thats on consoles as well as pc

There will always be a few computer games that look like they are a generation ahead of the rest but overall it's best to keep the specs low enough to atleast have a couple of million people who could potentially play the game. I also think it's better to have a nice looking game that runs smooth then a very demanding game especially when it comes to PC. Maybe it's because I have nothing buy bad experiences with PC gaming (always something that made it crash, run slow or make it look ugly). If PC gaming wouldn't force consoles and game makers to push it to the limit then graphics wouldn't improve so fast and PC gaming would be more succesful aswell. I know I switched to consoles because I got tired of technical problems with the good looking games. So here is to hoping that PC gaming leads the pack but not with too much of an advantage.

Around the Network
Peterisyum said:
see I dont agree there, while yes crysis does look better than any game this gen, it doesnt look like it is a gen better, thats why i think crysis 2 will be a much better comparison as thats on consoles as well as pc

HUH?! Consoles have already been surpassed ages ago. Right now you build a $400 PC that will CRUSH any console in terms of graphics!

Come on, tell me one game does has graphics that are anywhere near these pics of Crysis:

Grey21 said:
There will always be a few computer games that look like they are a generation ahead of the rest but overall it's best to keep the specs low enough to atleast have a couple of million people who could potentially play the game. I also think it's better to have a nice looking game that runs smooth then a very demanding game especially when it comes to PC. Maybe it's because I have nothing buy bad experiences with PC gaming (always something that made it crash, run slow or make it look ugly). If PC gaming wouldn't force consoles and game makers to push it to the limit then graphics wouldn't improve so fast and PC gaming would be more succesful aswell. I know I switched to consoles because I got tired of technical problems with the good looking games. So here is to hoping that PC gaming leads the pack but not with too much of an advantage.

Then it must suck for you to know that consoles are starting to inherit several problems that PC yet, and PC is becoming more-user friendly than ever. There are some people that already argue that PC is more accessible than Xbox 360.

Like everyone here says: It already did.

Any console when realeased is outdated. Always has been.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

The PC has always been able to outpace the consoles. The screenshots of Crysis that shio posted don't even do it justice. It's an amazing looking game. That being said---

The days of PC exclusive games like Crysis are over, and that very game is a good example of why. At the time of its release, I was still a PC-only gamer. Crysis was being hyped up as the next greatest thing in PC gaming. It was a shining gem among a whole bunch of other PC games that were just ports from the Xbox 360. It was something that only PC gamers could have.

But then the game came out and nobody bought it. Not only that, but it wasn't very good. The graphics were amazing. They ran like a slideshow even on the latest and greatest video cards, but they still looked good. But even Crytek admitted the game was only about 3/4 polished when they released it due to pressure to release. That was about the time when I started looking around me and noticing that every game I could play on the PC was available on the consoles. And before you say, "Yeah, but PCs get better graphics than the consoles, even though it's all the same games." Yeah----not so much these days.

Developers don't really bother to do anything special for the PC anymore. The first thing that started to bother me about PC gaming was that there were very few exclusives anymore. The second thing was that a lot of the multiplat stuff (especially if was made with Unreal Engine 3) looked like it was just an afterthought for the PC. No anti-aliasing on Rainbow Six Vegas? Puh-lease. Don't tell me my $2,000 gaming rig couldn't have handled removing the jaggies from that game. Ridiculous.

Anyway, I started to realize that if I'm going to play all the same games, and they're not going to look any better on the PC, why not just get a console and play stuff on my couch? I already had an HDTV, so I didn't even need to consider that as an extra expense. I have paid less for my PS3 and 360 combined than I did for my last graphics card!!! (Yep, that was the price of the 8800GTS on launch day.) The only thing I felt was lacking on the consoles was playing shooters with a controller..........until I played Killzone 2, that is. The controls on that game felt like it belonged on consoles, and I finally realized that I can get pretty much whatever I need on consoles. I will never buy a gaming card for a PC again.

shio said:
Peterisyum said:

HUH?! Consoles have already been surpassed ages ago. Right now you build a $400 PC that will CRUSH any console in terms of graphics!

Come on, tell me one game does has graphics that are anywhere near these pics of Crysis:

Bloody hell Crysis is so good looking that it looks better then Crysis. Oh wait

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st