By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN editor: No worthwhile Wii games have released since 2007.

This guy is a tool and has no buisness writing anything other people can read.

Around the Network

Playstation and Playstation 2 aren't as great as most people make them out to be, I vastly preferred the N64 and the Gamecube, and the Xbox is a joke compared to the Gamecube.

My issues with the Playstation derive from the lack of analog control and horrible camera controls. Tomb Raider, for being lauded so much at the time, controls like utter crap now; Spyro and Crash are a joke compared to the tight, acrobatic controls of Super Mario 64; Star Fox 64 perfected the on-rail shooter genre (and is still the best as far as I'm concerned); Wave Race 64 made Jet Moto look hilariously bad in terms of control; Ocarina of Time had brilliant camera controls as well as fluid controls; yada yada yada. The Playstation was a novelty that finally opened games up to cinematic cutscenes, but IMO that's just about all it did. I refuse to replay the majority of Playstation games today, unless they fall under the category of JRPG or 2-d sidescroller. The N64 may have had fewer games, but it has far more timeless classics.

With the PS2, I felt that the majority of games were merely good, not great, much like how I feel about the Wii. More importantly, however, I felt that the best of the Gamecube was on an entirely different level compared to the best of the PS2 and Xbox. F-Zero GX and Mario Kart: Double Dash are phenomenal arcade racers with insane amounts of depth, Sunshine an excellent (albeit short) platformer, Melee the only fighting game I've ever become obsessed with, and Metroid Prime an unbelievably new experience. While there are PS2 games that are among my favorite games of all time (MGS2, ICO, SOCOM 2), there just aren't enough for it to be my favorite console of the generation. It doesn't help that I like Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario 2 far more than all of the RPG's I played on the PS2.

It's all my opinion of course, I'm sure my tastes are far different than others.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Sorcery said:

Playstation and Playstation 2 aren't as great as most people make them out to be, I vastly preferred the N64 and the Gamecube, and the Xbox is a joke compared to the Gamecube.

My issues with the Playstation derive from the lack of analog control and horrible camera controls. Tomb Raider, for being lauded so much at the time, controls like utter crap now; Spyro and Crash are a joke compared to the tight, acrobatic controls of Super Mario 64; Star Fox 64 perfected the on-rail shooter genre (and is still the best as far as I'm concerned); Wave Race 64 made Jet Moto look hilariously bad in terms of control; Ocarina of Time had brilliant camera controls as well as fluid controls; yada yada yada. The Playstation was a novelty that finally opened games up to cinematic cutscenes, but IMO that's just about all it did. I refuse to replay the majority of Playstation games today, unless they fall under the category of JRPG or 2-d sidescroller. The N64 may have had fewer games, but it has far more timeless classics.

With the PS2, I felt that the majority of games were merely good, not great, much like how I feel about the Wii. More importantly, however, I felt that the best of the Gamecube was on an entirely different level compared to the best of the PS2 and Xbox. F-Zero GX and Mario Kart: Double Dash are phenomenal arcade racers with insane amounts of depth, Sunshine an excellent (albeit short) platformer, Melee the only fighting game I've ever become obsessed with, and Metroid Prime an unbelievably new experience. While there are PS2 games that are among my favorite games of all time (MGS2, ICO, SOCOM 2), there just aren't enough for it to be my favorite console of the generation. It doesn't help that I like Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario 2 far more than all of the RPG's I played on the PS2.

It's all my opinion of course, I'm sure my tastes are far different than others.

Let's see if your opinion will be respected...

Sorcery said:

While many PSX and PS2 games will have a hard time playing as well as you remember them or whatnot, the sheer amount of games on the Sony systems made some definite games appear on the systems.  The N64 and GC had some amazing titles, but suffered from the majority coming from Nintendo themselves.  As you already pointed out in your post.  WHereas I can point out the same amount of good games on the PSX or PS2 from third parties.  Not saying any 'X' games on the PS2 is better than any 'X' game on the GC, just the facts that the PSX and PS2 saw 10x the amount of games and as such, still got plenty of good games (and bad ones).

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
BladeOfGod said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
BladeOfGod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"NO, that cant be it. what the hell does people hating on the wii on internet has to do with 3rd party developers not making decent games on wii? You think developers are reading what some forum and blog posters are posting about the wii? Please explain that. Also, PS3 got THE BIGGEST hate any console has ever recived in 2007 and it still got tons of good 3rd party games."

It's more because a lot of developers are from the same pool that these online haters came from, and also because the heads of publishers are thinking that making games for the HD systems is safer than developing for the Wii, because they think the higher costs are less important than the familiarity to the last generation.

well, i still think that developers are not that stupid to be fooled by haters and fanboys

There's more good games on each console than just the 'big budget' games with the most marketing and budget behind them.  Heck, look at my sig for a list of some of the good games coming out on the Wii, most before or after the holiday season.  While I'd say its opinion that 360 or PS3 gets one good game a month, that's also because those systems have gotten much better third party support.  But third parties have begun to gain good third party support as well (finally).

BladeOfGod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"NO, that cant be it. what the hell does people hating on the wii on internet has to do with 3rd party developers not making decent games on wii? You think developers are reading what some forum and blog posters are posting about the wii? Please explain that. Also, PS3 got THE BIGGEST hate any console has ever recived in 2007 and it still got tons of good 3rd party games."

It's more because a lot of developers are from the same pool that these online haters came from, and also because the heads of publishers are thinking that making games for the HD systems is safer than developing for the Wii, because they think the higher costs are less important than the familiarity to the last generation.

well, i still think that developers are not that stupid to be fooled by haters and fanboys

Uh....Reviewers and game developers, last time I checked, are making games to sell.  And unless they're simply making games blindly or for their own personal tastes, they're going to make them appeal to the trends of the market.  If people are consistently using popular terms and seeking certain trends in the market, game developers are going to try to create games to sell to those markets.

And relating the bashing of consoles, its not just limited to the 'internet' bashing.  While 'console wars' and catch phrases like the Wii being a 'casual' system started on the internet, it has spread to the normal vernacular of people who don't use forums or browse review sites.  And its pretty telling when even 'accredited' reviewers, both online and Magazine based, start using the terms in their reviews and articles as if its acceptable to call the Wii 'casual' and 'inferior'.

So what you are saying there in 2nd paragraph is that if internet decides that this game or console is good or bad, the entire world is gonna think so too?

And i am sorry but lots of customers are not interested in rewievs and fourms, they just buy games or consoles THEY think its the best.

No I am not.  I am saying that reviewers and game developers have been using the negative, 'Nintendo is casual crap' mentality that the internet has been pushing since the middle of the GameCubes life cycle.  And it just gets more intense (and more obvious) every year as Nintendo continues to grow more and more dominant in sales.

In other words, outbursts like this are just going to become more prominant as Reviewers have no more material to use against the Wii except 'lol no games' and 'dur Gamecube 2.0'.  Reviewers are finding they have less and less impact this generation, except on people who want to fight over which is better, Halo 3 or Killzone 2

what are you talking about??? Reviewers are not biased agianst the wii. 2nd best ranked game this generation is Super Mario Galaxy. Those people you are refering to are not rewievrs and developers, they are typical fanboys and haters.

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Sorcery said:

While many PSX and PS2 games will have a hard time playing as well as you remember them or whatnot, the sheer amount of games on the Sony systems made some definite games appear on the systems. The N64 and GC had some amazing titles, but suffered from the majority coming from Nintendo themselves. As you already pointed out in your post. WHereas I can point out the same amount of good games on the PSX or PS2 from third parties. Not saying any 'X' games on the PS2 is better than any 'X' game on the GC, just the facts that the PSX and PS2 saw 10x the amount of games and as such, still got plenty of good games (and bad ones).

I won't deny that the PSX and PS2 have far more games that are/were good, but for whatever reason I prefer those games that I'll love to play 5, 10, 20 years in the future. I still play Mario 64, Star Fox 64, and Zelda 64, and I can see myself playing those games once in a while 10 years from now; meanwhile, I've dumped Metal Gear Solid for the Twin Snakes iteration, Tomb Raider for Tomb Raider: Anniversary (which isn't even that good, and says a lot about the old controls), and Resident Evil for Resident Evil 4 (two totally different genres, I know).

With the PS2, do you think you'll ever play GTA3 again? The game looks like ass. Gran Turismo 3? Well, if GT4 didn't make you dump that one, GT5 will. Ratchet and Clank? If you've been following that one since the beginning, it's starting to get old. They're all great games at the moment of release, but they lose their luster eventually... or at least they lose it for me.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

BladeOfGod said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

No I am not.  I am saying that reviewers and game developers have been using the negative, 'Nintendo is casual crap' mentality that the internet has been pushing since the middle of the GameCubes life cycle.  And it just gets more intense (and more obvious) every year as Nintendo continues to grow more and more dominant in sales.

In other words, outbursts like this are just going to become more prominant as Reviewers have no more material to use against the Wii except 'lol no games' and 'dur Gamecube 2.0'.  Reviewers are finding they have less and less impact this generation, except on people who want to fight over which is better, Halo 3 or Killzone 2

what are you talking about??? Reviewers are not biased agianst the wii. 2nd best ranked game this generation is Super Mario Galaxy. Those people you are refering to are not rewievrs and developers, they are typical fanboys and haters.

And after that one game.....?

Yeah.  Aside from Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy, reviewers across the board are panning the Wii as an 'inferior and obsolete toy'.  One game getting a high score doesn't make all their critisisms and jabs at the Wii go away.  Just like last gen with the GameCube.  Just because Resident Evil 4 got high scores, it doesn't mean they thought highly of the GameCube itself.

Sorcery said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

While many PSX and PS2 games will have a hard time playing as well as you remember them or whatnot, the sheer amount of games on the Sony systems made some definite games appear on the systems. The N64 and GC had some amazing titles, but suffered from the majority coming from Nintendo themselves. As you already pointed out in your post. WHereas I can point out the same amount of good games on the PSX or PS2 from third parties. Not saying any 'X' games on the PS2 is better than any 'X' game on the GC, just the facts that the PSX and PS2 saw 10x the amount of games and as such, still got plenty of good games (and bad ones).

I won't deny that the PSX and PS2 have far more games that are/were good, but for whatever reason I prefer those games that I'll love to play 5, 10, 20 years in the future. I still play Mario 64, Star Fox 64, and Zelda 64, and I can see myself playing those games once in a while 10 years from now; meanwhile, I've dumped Metal Gear Solid for the Twin Snakes iteration, Tomb Raider for Tomb Raider: Anniversary (which isn't even that good, and says a lot about the old controls), and Resident Evil for Resident Evil 4 (two totally different genres, I know).

With the PS2, do you think you'll ever play GTA3 again? The game looks like ass. Gran Turismo 3? Well, if GT4 didn't make you dump that one, GT5 will. Ratchet and Clank? If you've been following that one since the beginning, it's starting to get old. They're all great games at the moment of release, but they lose their luster eventually... or at least they lose it for me.

Again, you're only looking at 'major' releases.  There's much more to the PSX and PS2 besides multi-million dollar titles which saw 50-100 million dollars in marketing.

I mean, I'm still going to be pulling out my PSX for Castlevania: SotN, Strider 2, FFVIII and Suikoden II.  And my PS2 for Dragon Quest VIII, Suikoden III, Zone of Enders 2 and Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkachi 3 for years to come.  I understand where you are coming from, there's an appeal to some past games like Kirby's Adventure or Super Metroid or even Zelda: Ocarina of Time that makes you want to play them over and over.  But there's definitely some of those types of titles on the PSX and PS2 as well.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I'm late, but I'll say this: I disagree. I'm pretty satisified with my Wii, and I have 15 games, all of which I enjoy. So oh well.

That's interesting. I find the Wii's library to be much better than the Gamecubes already, and IMHO on the same level as the PS3. The 360 still has the best lineup overall of current gen systems, but not by as much as it used to.

Some people (AKA the blog writer) either just want a bunch of hits, or are just afraid of change. In this gentlemans case, I would say the latter.

Just kiss the tip.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Sorcery said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Again, you're only looking at 'major' releases. There's much more to the PSX and PS2 besides multi-million dollar titles which saw 50-100 million dollars in marketing.

I mean, I'm still going to be pulling out my PSX for Castlevania: SotN, Strider 2, FFVIII and Suikoden II. And my PS2 for Dragon Quest VIII, Suikoden III, Zone of Enders 2 and Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkachi 3 for years to come. I understand where you are coming from, there's an appeal to some past games like Kirby's Adventure or Super Metroid or even Zelda: Ocarina of Time that makes you want to play them over and over. But there's definitely some of those types of titles on the PSX and PS2 as well.

When I said I look at the PS2 the same as the Wii, I was more or less referring to the non-major releases. Excite Truck, Zack and Wiki, etc. They're good fun, just forgettable.

I agree about some of those PSX games though. I play Symphony of the Night and Suikoden on my PSP, but... those fall under the JRPG/sidescroller umbrella. It's weird though, I really enjoyed my PS2, yet I can't really think of any games that I want to replay, except for Shinobi... which I regretably sold.