By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii 10 mln. or PS3 5 mln. in Japan. Who first?

ZorroX said:

Some VERY rough projections:

Wii PS3
27-Sep-09       18,000          42,000  
04-Oct-09       45,000          47,000  
11-Oct-09       41,500          40,000  
18-Oct-09       38,500          45,000  
25-Oct-09       36,000          40,000  
01-Nov-09       55,000          65,000  
08-Nov-09       42,500          55,500  
15-Nov-09       55,000          52,000  
22-Nov-09     115,000          51,000  
29-Nov-09     75,000          55,500  
06-Dec-09       85,000          60,500  
13-Dec-09     100,000          95,000  
20-Dec-09     125,000        245,000  
27-Dec-09     145,000        195,000  
03-Jan-10     115,000        180,000  
10-Jan-10       75,000          97,500  
17-Jan-10       50,000          70,000  
24-Jan-10       40,000         56,500  
31-Jan-10       35,000  9,848,362       53,250  5,040,616

PS3 won't stay over 40K, even this week it may fall below, so your numbers are way too optimistic for PS3.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

@Avinash_Tyagy

I think that noone can predict the future its just impossible and what we see are more or less guesses which are based on more or less exact information. I have just a feeling that Wii wont do as good as previous years in Japan the year showed us that Wii can be in the 10k Range which noone could imagine before.

ioi made a good prediction but he is not god and he can be wrong. The truth is guessing numbers is especially in Japan gambling. If someone is right than its just because if all give their guesses and its between the range of 1000 and 1 Million someone has to be right. If you read the old threads 1-2 years old than you see that almost everyone is false. Predicting the future is hard even if its a near future. And why I believe that he will be wrong he said first its a rough estimate and it was a good one but even he is not able to look inside the heads of the Japanese people so all he can do is a guess so do I and I believe that the Wii will be weaker.

The Wii Numbers will be lower than last year especially in Japan the Hype is not as huge anymore. And Final Fantasy is really the game all have waited for in Japan.

Netyaroze said:
@Avinash_Tyagy

I think that noone can predict the future its just impossible and what we see are more or less guesses which are based on more or less exact information. I have just a feeling that Wii wont do as good as previous years in Japan the year showed us that Wii can be in the 10k Range which noone could imagine before.

ioi made a good prediction but he is not god and he can be wrong. The truth is guessing numbers is especially in Japan gambling. If someone is right than its just because if all give their guesses and its between the range of 1000 and 1 Million someone has to be right. If you read the old threads 1-2 years old than you see that almost everyone is false. Predicting the future is hard even if its a near future. And why I believe that he will be wrong he said first its a rough estimate and it was a good one but even he is not able to look inside the heads of the Japanese people so all he can do is a guess so do I and I believe that the Wii will be weaker.

The Wii Numbers will be lower than last year especially in Japan the Hype is not as huge anymore. And Final Fantasy is really the game all have waited for in Japan.

Your predictions are even more unlikely, you can argue that ioi may be wrong, but his are backed up by reasoned points and good data, yours are just pulled out of nowhere.

First off FF13 isn't going to be all that huge in japan, Famitsu is predicting 1.5 million Lifetime, so lets say they lowball it, a little, and it sells 1.7 million lifetime, that still means less than 1.5 million in 2009, now as we know with these types of games, they are heavily frontloaded, so you get maybe one week of boost, then back down, so it won't give the PS3 a sustained boost, and PS3's other games lineup is pretty medicore, so no big software boost, in addition PS3 has only passed 100K once in Japan, so the idea that FF13 will boost PS3 past 200K is wishful thinking.

On the other hand, we know NSMB is a huge seller, the DS version has sold around 5 million in Japan, and is still selling, its huge, and we know that unlike JRPGs on the PS3, there aren't many platformers on the Wii and no 2D platformers, and no 2D mario Platformers, so its going to be able to bring in a huge number of gamers who don't own a Wii.

Wii wasn't selling on hype, it was selling on games, and for the first half ot the year it didn't have games, now the games are coming, and you'll see a big boost to Wii sales with NSMB and the other Wii titles.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

The best thing is we can see the results in a few months. How should I back it up when there is no data which shows a similar situation that happened in the past. I think the Wii wont be so strong this year unlike last year. I can`t back it up with data because there is no data and I have some reasoned points. I mentioned them in my first post. We saw a decrease of sales over the whole year for Wii just look at the curve. Wii is significantly down. Before 2009 most people even could imagine that WII will be so weak.( And before 2006 most people couldn?t even imagine that WII would be successful). We saw that the Slim PS3 was a huge hit in Japan. And I think the market saturation for Wii is way higher than for HD Consoles. I think that FF will make a bigger impact than you think, thats nothing we can argue about because nobody knows it. Even Famitsu dont knows it.

I didnt make this conclusion without a reason. You see it otherwise because you think in a different way about it but in fact nothing is more wrong or more right. Because its a total new situation right know there are way to many factors which counts and you cant say oh the WII will sell more in the holiday season because last year he sold more. Thats no reason. If there wouldnt be a significant change in the market you could see a trend but now its not that easy. He backed his claim with numbers from last year but the factors which counts changed.

And my prediction is not unlikely. Because if it was that unlikely why should someone make a thread about it and why would the thread be 17 Sites Big if everyone thinks its not going to happen. Even if you think its unlikely some people dont and this fact makes it likely All I said was that Wii wont be as strong as he stated. And it wont maybe and thats not unlikely why do you think you can judgde this.

Another thing is that nobody on this planet can say whether the PS3 Software which comes will sell more consoles or the Wii Software. I think it wont help to sell more Wiis than the PS3 Software helps to sell PS3s thats my Opinion. Its an Illusion to think you can exactly predict the Holiday Season in Japan. Especially now with so many new factors. How could you even back up a prediction like that. Thats just impossible. How could you back up a financial crash how could you back up something which not happened in the past.

Ok to make a concrete prediction, so we can see who was right : My prediction is that the Wii is not going to sell more Consoles than the PS3 in the holiday season (in Japan). PS3 will reach 5 Mln before Wii reaches 10 Mln.

We will see what happens. If the Market was so precictable why was noone on this planet able to predict this situation right here 3 years ago. Why are there so many suprised people all the time ? The Japanese market is not that easy to predict as the FF Bundle with movie came out the WII was down somewhere 17K and the PS3 sold 57k and everyone was surprised. The Slim PS3 came out and everyone except a small minority of people were surprised. I was surprised and i made wild guessings.

If someone for example said 1 week before it happened. Its going to be just a 200% increase I backed it up with data from the PS2 Slim launch and I would say thats not going to happen it will sell a lot more. His claim is better because he backed it up with data ?. The Analyst were all wrong with the prediction of the markets before. This situation is new and maybe I am wrong and the Wii will be a huge success FF wont be as strong as I thought and the Wii Pricecut had a huge long term impact and the PS3 will fall down to pre Slim Levels. Or maybe the PS3 will be from now on the leader or maybe they will sell on par. All this statements cant be backed up with data except the first one because thats what happened in the past. The same thing with GT Noone can predict if its going to sell 4 Mln or maybe 8 or 12. And except the 12 Mln nothing could be backed up with data because it has not happened before. If we say ok the Numbers were for example 9 Mln 13 Mln 10 Mln 18 Mln . And I would say this time it will sell just 5 Mln another one would say no it will sell atleast 11.5 Mln I have the data from all GTs and in Human history its never happened before that GT sold less than 9 Mln. He backed his statement up with data I didn`t but that makes his statement not more probable. (Infact i think it will sell 8-10 Mln)

We never had a situation like this before this Holiday season might be different in Japan. And a statement backed up with data is not more likely or unlikely. And the rest of the Facts are just allegations and they are a matter of perspective. My prediction is as unlikely or likely as his. You could say that his claim is a little more probable then mine because the Wii sold more in the Past but thats no reason why my claim should be unlikely. But even that is no real argument.

The PS3 sold almost as good as the Wii in 2009...... and now we could start from the beginning. I believe the Wii will sell more because.... and I believe PS3 will sell more b/c...

Its just believes and not knowing so its impossible to Judge which scenario is more probable. Its impossible and arguing about it is stupid. It would always turn in a circle. And thats the reason why there is so much arguing its the same like arguing about taste or Religion there is no difference. But argiung is fun so we all wont quit, if the people arguing a lot that means that the result cant be predictet. Of course there are things which can clearly be seen like FF will sell more than 1 MLN LTD WW. But a lot of things are just beliefs. Of course you can say the Wii will sell next month on the same level as the month before if nothing dramatically changed or a game came out. Or the market is saturated (see even if you know a lot of factors there is always a big chance to be wrong) The market is unpredictable you can predict a scenario well if you know a lot of factors. Data can help. But if there are many new factors and a lot of factors which are unknown you can just guess. And this situation is such a Situation we all gamble and putting our money on a horse.

I think Nintendo (or maybe more likely Nintendo and their third party partners) have killed a lot of the enthusiasm for the Wii by letting it go through all these droughts and not having a big guaranteed seller last Christmas.

When you've lost that enthusiasm among consumers for your platform, I think it can be very difficult to get it back. That Wii Sports Resort could not create a sustained boost in hardware probably means Wii Fit Plus is in the same boat.

Which basically leaves it all on NSMB Wii to do all the lifting this holiday season.

Nintendo really has to get over this idea that they can go on vacation (basically) for long stretches of time and then just show up with one or two big releases and think everything just goes back to normal. Doesn't work that way.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
I think Nintendo (or maybe more likely Nintendo and their third party partners) have killed a lot of the enthusiasm for the Wii by letting it go through all these droughts and not having a big guaranteed seller last Christmas.

When you've lost that enthusiasm among consumers for your platform, I think it can be very difficult to get it back. That Wii Sports Resort could not create a sustained boost in hardware probably means Wii Fit Plus is in the same boat.

Which basically leaves it all on NSMB Wii to do all the lifting this holiday season.

Nintendo really has to get over this idea that they can go on vacation (basically) for long stretches of time and then just show up with one or two big releases and think everything just goes back to normal. Doesn't work that way.

Didn't Sony just kinda do that?  I think I recall hearing for the first 2 years of the PS3 that people complained it had no games and the appeal of a Playstation console was lost.  Now it's popular again.  Same thing with the PSP.

So why is it only OK for Sony to make a market resurgence in the same generation but not Nintendo?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

ps3 sales will drop but come back above 100k probably in dedember with the FF13 release. My money would be on ps3

Viper1 said:
Soundwave said:

Didn't Sony just kinda do that?  I think I recall hearing for the first 2 years of the PS3 that people complained it had no games and the appeal of a Playstation console was lost.  Now it's popular again.  Same thing with the PSP.

So why is it only OK for Sony to make a market resurgence in the same generation but not Nintendo?

Because for people like soundwave, those who are detached from reality, Sony can be losing tons of money and in third place, but its still doing awesome, and Nintendo can be making money hand over foot and be the market leader and they are still doomed.

it'll b pretty close, but i think the ff13 release will give the ps3 just enough kick to get there 1st. dunno about how much impact nsmbwii will have, but i dont think it'll be enough to counter mw2, which will also give the ps3 a boost if not

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

This thread is gonna be bumped multiple times during the next few months. I already know it.