By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii 10 mln. or PS3 5 mln. in Japan. Who first?

kopstudent89 said:
first half 2008 Wii > first half 2007 Wii, however that trend didnt continue towards the holidays why?

First six months of 2007 = 1,811,892

First six months of 2008 = 1,531,764  <-- This is a 15.5% yoy decline, not an increase.

Furthermore...

First six months of 2009 = 526,686  <-- This is a 65.6% yoy decline

Around the Network

I still remember people saying here that Wii would outsell the PS3 the week after RE5 was released, when in reality the PS3 would outsell the Wii for about 2 months (till may if remember correctly). Hell, even the Japan preview was the whole time wrong during those months. It was pure wishfull thinking from the staff.

VGChartz does a great job giving us numbers, but it's pretty obvious which colours they support.

In the end Japan is pretty much unpredictable and people just hope that game 'x' gives console 'a' the necessary boost too outsell console 'b'.

ZorroX said:

kopstudent89 - on "first half 2008 Wii > first half 2007 Wii,"
That is not true. Not to mention, that Wii had shortages in first half of 2007.

Okey, most time till the end of year PS3 will be 40k+.
It`s not like those several thousands will change anything, if it sells 38k or 42k.

But now, on Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sport Resort:
http://www.vgchartz.com/jweekly.php?date=39992 - 350k +21,5k Wii
http://www.vgchartz.com/jweekly.php?date=39999 - 500k +24,5k Wii
http://www.vgchartz.com/jweekly.php?date=40006 - 600k +21,5k Wii

Wow, it`s a million seller in Japan already, just like Wi Fit Plus probably will be, but HW sales?
Before i made my expectation for other Wii games, what so special about Wii lineup except NSMB? And how you explain no boost from BIG game release, because i have my explanation, but want to hear yours people.

If Nintendo can sell WSR as greatly as Wii Fit or Mario Kart Wii, there's a huge opportunity for it to become a system seller. Now it's selling a lot to Wii owners, but as time goes on there will be less Wii owners and more non-owners which will buy it, just because the Wii owners usually buy games near their release date...if WSR keeps selling over 20-30k also in 2010 you'll see Wii selling better than what it did in the last months, and it's not just because of the price cut!

On the other hand, i'm ones that think that Wii Fit Plus will give HW a very little boost...but there's NSMBW! In japan there's a lot more than this 3 games, which will sell millions...so i can't see a single reason to think that the Wii will perform worse than the last year...

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

I think the Wii will win thanks to consistently placing above PS3, week in week out.

However, I don't think the PS3 will be left far behind. It'll be a respectable 2nd place in this race.

Hero_time88 said:

I still remember people saying here that Wii would outsell the PS3 the week after RE5 was released, when in reality the PS3 would outsell the Wii for about 2 months (till may if remember correctly). Hell, even the Japan preview was the whole time wrong during those months. It was pure wishfull thinking from the staff.

VGChartz does a great job giving us numbers, but it's pretty obvious which colours they support.

In the end Japan is pretty much unpredictable and people just hope that game 'x' gives console 'a' the necessary boost too outsell console 'b'.

You never met Gilgamesh, right?

Also, are you implying PS3 would reach 5 million before Wii reaches 10 million?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
Hero_time88 said:

ioi is just giving us a prediction (Which can be wrong, he's not saying that he hopes Wii beats PS3) and the other admins have their own preferences...it's well known that Sony Fans > Nintendo Fans > MS Fans...don't throw in the console war, we are making an interesting discussion about Japan's sales in the next months...these are the better discussions of all the forum (also beacuse of the admin's opinion)!

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

@ZorroX and Netyaroze:

Since when have you been running your own VG sales site, what makes you think that you know more about the Wii and PS3 trends and sales than ioi?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

ZorroX said:

ClaudeLv250 - PS3 had BIG games, but not HUGE. FFXIII will be First 2 mln. seller on PS3 in Japan. This game is HUGE.
Big games like MGS4 and RE5 sold 77k and 40k PS3 on launch weeks, but FFXIII demo alone sold 60k, same as PS3 was selling maximum during Christmas 2008.

FFXIII alone will sell 150k PS3 + regular Christmas sales bost with new price, which means around 220-250k that week.
If some MH3 sold something like 90K Wii, during regular time. You expect FFXIII to do only twice more and during Christmas with new PS3 price?
You people seriously underestimating FFXIII selling power.
1st bundle shipment already sold out.

Uncharted? Assassin's Creed II? Ratchet & Clank? Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - yeah, these are games, to sell 100-150k LTD in Japan. However, they will hold PS3 at 40k+ till the end of year.
The other games are like 150-250k, of`course not very big, but comapred to Wii this will be enough.
Well, Wii has several games which will sell 250-500k but that`s not such big difference.
Tales of Graces to be 500k+ you must be dreaming?
And Wii fit, just like Wii sport resort won`t give visible hardware boost.

ioi - those numbers look nice, and somehow even legit), but i expect PS3 to stay above 40-50k for the rest of year. And FFXIII boost to be much bigger, than what you expect.
While Wii numbers, well, there must be some drop in sales, since there is a trend for that. And, those numbers could be right, if PS3 wouldn`t be a serious competitor this year, if there wouldn`t be Slim model and FFXIII release.
I see Wii doing 100-150k during Christmas boost in best case.

ROFFLE

And what are you using to support these claims? Where are the facts, trends and historical data? FF13 is supposed to push a ridiculous level of PS3s just because you want it to? Every time you get an opposing answer you just go "NUH UH!" and then raise your prediction.

And ore ROFFLES. Why the HELL would something like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted sell 150k? Are you smoking? The original Uncharted didn't even crack 100k in Japan, you haven't given any reason why the sequel is going to flatten Japan and blow PS3s off the shelf when the first game didn't.

Are you sure you're not someone's alt here to give everyone a good laugh? The only other explanation is that you're delusional. You have no grasp of reality or sales trends, past present or future and yet you insist on fighting people who actually know what they're talking about. 

Really, is this what it's come to? ioi isn't rooting for your side so he obviously must be biased even if he supports his stance with facts and logic!!!!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

People should think twice before they call ioi biased...

Sry i was checkin some numbers up, and i think i mixed up somethin, probably the dates