By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if Halo ODST doesnt shift hardware?

ioi said:
ODST won't particularly shift hardware. At this point in the lifecycle of a console, there aren't many games that do shift hardware on their own - it is more the collective effect of all games. Both PS3 and 360 will have strong holidays (compared to the rest of 2009). This has been a strange year - Jacob pointed out to me that we've only had 34 million-sellers so far in 2009 vs 100 by September last year. Tough financial times combined with a lack of really huge releases means that 2009 has been a fairly poor year to date, but September - December is definitely stronger than last year, so should see some ground made up.

I can't even begin to imagine how much stronger it would have been if all these big titles hadn't been delayed to avoid MW2 lol.

Around the Network

I think forza 3 has some potential luring in new buyers who are interested in racing. Although most racing fans probably already made the jump and i think gt5 has more potential in shifting HW. ODST will sell some extra consoles, but not more then 200k total.

Further down the line I think the only thing thats really going to move HW is natal if it works (and even if its not working it will shift HW). Games like Mass Effect 2, Fable 3 and Alan Wake might give the system some small pushes.

I also think there are a good number of people replacing old systems for silent and cool new ones. And at last, there is the demographic of young teens growing up and finally having enough money to buy an xbox360 (in america they probably will buy that). In europe they might go for the xbox360, especcially in the uk, but there's a good chance that they'll go for the ps3 instead.