By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The next Nintendo..is it destined to fail?

Dgc1808 said:
Ask me thiis after we actually no what their next console is...

Even then I don't think that would help, judging by how the majority of people were incorrect about the Wii.

Around the Network

Disruption

Nuff said

I think it will all come down to third party support and online gaming. If Nintendo can launch a powerful Wii2 with everything that made the Wii great AND get contemporaneous release dates for games like GTA 5 and Modern Warfare 3 on their console, then I think the Wii 2 will have a good shot at matching the Wii's success.

Wii code: 1534 8127 5081 0969

Brawl code: 1762-4131-9390

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

^^ Hmmm GTA on a Ninty console. I think they'll win for sure.

Dr.Grass said:

If they have mended relations enough.

One thing about Rockstar North that a lot of people don't know is that they used to be a second party of Nintendo. They had done a very good job with Uniracers on the SNES, and were officially part of Nintento's Dream Team going into the N64 era. They developed a concept of a character who would run between different vehicles in a sandbox like environment. There were three games in the works, Space Station Silicon Valley, Body Harvest, and Grand Theft Auto. The company ended up taking longer than anticipated, and had their product harshly criticized by Nintendo; Nintendo wanted them to develop games with a stronger story to them, something more linear as well. Eventually Nintendo dropped the company, Body Harvest and Space Station SV came out late on the N64 and failed to come close to their sales potential. Grand Theft Auto went to PSX.

Of course, it wasn't until Grand Theft Auto III DMA Design rebranded themselves to Rockstar North. There may still be bad blood.

Nintendo, a few years later lost Rare as well (they weren't dropped as somee people have said) rather Microsoft made a huge offer of hundreds of millions of dollars that Nintendo couldn't match. Rare quickly fell to ruin after that though, many people joined Zoonami and Free Radical. Free Radical got screwed over by Lucas Arts, and the company fell to pieces and is now scattered.

Anyway, I would rather wish that Square would return to its Nintendo exclusive policy. Then I would only ever have to buy one system and one handheld per generation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Dr.Grass said:

If they have mended relations enough.

One thing about Rockstar North that a lot of people don't know is that they used to be a second party of Nintendo. They had done a very good job with Uniracers on the SNES, and were officially part of Nintento's Dream Team going into the N64 era. They developed a concept of a character who would run between different vehicles in a sandbox like environment. There were three games in the works, Space Station Silicon Valley, Body Harvest, and Grand Theft Auto. The company ended up taking longer than anticipated, and had their product harshly criticized by Nintendo; Nintendo wanted them to develop games with a stronger story to them, something more linear as well. Eventually Nintendo dropped the company, Body Harvest and Space Station SV came out late on the N64 and failed to come close to their sales potential. Grand Theft Auto went to PSX.

Of course, it wasn't until Grand Theft Auto III DMA Design rebranded themselves to Rockstar North. There may still be bad blood.

Nintendo, a few years later lost Rare as well (they weren't dropped as somee people have said) rather Microsoft made a huge offer of hundreds of millions of dollars that Nintendo couldn't match. Rare quickly fell to ruin after that though, many people joined Zoonami and Free Radical. Free Radical got screwed over by Lucas Arts, and the company fell to pieces and is now scattered.

Anyway, I would rather wish that Square would return to its Nintendo exclusive policy. Then I would only ever have to buy one system and one handheld per generation.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. I knew Sony and Square Enix used to be BFF's with Nintendo, but Rockstar North too, really?

Seems like every third or second party they piss off goes onto make gazillions of dollars without them. Judging by the lackluster sales of Chinatown wars, I don't think GTA5 is likely to show up on Wii 2.

JUG said:
I think it will all come down to third party support and online gaming. If Nintendo can launch a powerful Wii2 with everything that made the Wii great AND get contemporaneous release dates for games like GTA 5 and Modern Warfare 3 on their console, then I think the Wii 2 will have a good shot at matching the Wii's success.

This is my point exactly. Nintendo managed to win this generation by expanding the market and appealing to a much wider demographic with simple motion controls and several casual titles. (I still don't understand whats so unattractive and intimidating about a sitting down on a nice comfy couch and using a traditional controller to play story centered games) Next gen, its going to take support from third parties and an adequate online gaming network. Next gen, Sony and Microsoft will have proven motion controls, competitively priced consoles and will be fiercely trying to appeal to that large and fickle casual crowd. They'll have sturdy third party support and robust online gaming from day one. In order for the Wii2 to even compete with them they'll need support for online in most of their games, graphics that are on par with their competitors and a heap of avid gamers who regularly show up in droves to buy milions of third party titles ( besides Rockband and Guitar Hero) like the 360 fanboys did (and still do) when it was the only thing on the market.

@Jumpin

Not often that I learn something new that's that profound. SUPER KUDOS DUDE.

99 percent of the replies in this thread didn't answer the op's question.

he's not asking whether the wii's successor will sell more or less than the wii, but rather if it doesn't sell as much as the wii, will people say it's a failure.

i think there will be plenty of people that will be lining up waiting to call it a failure. they'll be the same crybabies we've been hearing from for the past three years. the ones saying wii is a fad/ it's doomed, ect.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

I am nervous. The DS basically saved Nintendo, and the Wii saved videogaming, but where will it go from here? Is Nintendo stromg enough to keep the two monster companies Sony and Microsoft at bay. Nintendo is working to perserve the essence of videogaming, while SOny and Microsoft is trying to destroy it, unfortunatly Sony and Microsoft are so huge they might just succeed.

I am hoping that Nintendo will be able to stick to their philosophy, but there's already signs that they are starting to follow the trend set by the Xbox in particular. I don't like it, but what can you do? One thing is for sure, it will be very very interesting to see what Nintendo has up their sleve.