By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sell over 2 Million in 1 week?

Kantor said:
No. The price cut might bring it to previous year level sales, but not much higher.

If the price cut brings it to previous November sales, 2 million is guaranteed.

But I doubt that happens.

Around the Network
nordlead said:
some people need to go look at this.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39705&end=39845

08 holiday sales world wide. The Wii managed 5 weeks over 1m units. This year it will probably be another 5 weeks of over 1m units sold. The DS also had 5 weeks over 1m units, and 1 week was extremely close to 2m units sold.

Hmm, DS adjusted down then.. because it used to be about 2.1 million for it's best week.

aragod said:
No. I think that pretty much everyone who wanted Wii already bought one.

Then why the hell did Nintendo bother to cut the price?

I think between the price cut, increased shipments (remember Wii was still sold out in the US last Christmas I think), Wii Fit +, NSMB Wii (trust me you do NOT want to doubt the power of a new 2-D Mario platformer), and the prolonged effect of WSR, I think Nintendo has a chance to pull it off. It's going to be tough though. I personally think it might be close and either match the 1.7 million mark of last year, or at best pull off 1.8 million. That is probably a more realistic assumption. Regardless, I'm sure nintendo won't be complaining about selling another 1.7-1.8 million in one week :)

This.

ph4nt said:
My answer? Possible.

Last December Wii was supply constrained and had a flat December, when typically December sales are double November, December sales were the same since there were no Wii's.

Even if Wii is down 50% for November (which I doubt with the price cut). December sales could be identical to last year's December, indicating it can come close to 2 million again.

If Wii wasn't supply constrained last year, I would not be surprised if it could have done 2.5-3 million 1 week worldwide.

exactly, it's not that demand is higher than last year, it's that demand wasn't met last year and that's why it's possible.  Who knows how much it could have sold last year, I'm sure 3 million NPD december was possible.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
ph4nt said:
My answer? Possible.

Last December Wii was supply constrained and had a flat December, when typically December sales are double November, December sales were the same since there were no Wii's.

Even if Wii is down 50% for November (which I doubt with the price cut). December sales could be identical to last year's December, indicating it can come close to 2 million again.

If Wii wasn't supply constrained last year, I would not be surprised if it could have done 2.5-3 million 1 week worldwide.

exactly, it's not that demand is higher than last year, it's that demand wasn't met last year and that's why it's possible.  Who knows how much it could have sold last year, I'm sure 3 million NPD december was possible.

3 million December NPD would have been easy had the supply been good.... I mean the Wii sold more per week on average in November than December for NPD 2008.

I'm gonna say yes. The supply is there and i feel it is going to be a record-breaking holiday for the Wii this year. Last year Nov was> Dec so that should tell you something. This year supply is there so expect records to tumble! Plus, don't forget Nintendo has fiscal targets to meet so they will be doing all they can to reach them.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

It bloody well better.

Wii Fit Plus, NSMB:Wii, the legs of WSR, (some relevant games in Japan), supply>demand and a price cut? If it doesn't, then that's it. The fad is over.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

So if thats the case is, do you think that its possible for NINTENDO to cut down the price of Wii for this coming holidays?

Demotruk said:
It bloody well better.

Wii Fit Plus, NSMB:Wii, the legs of WSR, (some relevant games in Japan), supply>demand and a price cut? If it doesn't, then that's it. The fad is over.

too extreme to call the fad over if it doesn't break 2 million.

PS2's best holiday week was about the same as Wii's last year.