By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Even Modern Elites RROD

My cousin plays his like 4 hours a day, and whenever he isn't playing it, he has it set to run Folding@home. For reference, one workload can take you up to like 20 hours, and he's completed about 120 work units by now. He literally never turns it off and he's had it since about May or June, and since folding@home came out before that, he's been running it on his PS3 nonstop since he hooked it up. On the other hand, the only person I know with a 360, my gamer freak best friend (i say gamer freak because he is obsessed with obtaining every single gaming console, accessory, and actual game ever made), who bought like 3 360 games before he even bought a system, he finally buys a 360 and it RRODs on him within 4 months.

@Munkeh

Yeah, seriously, after I finally replaced my original boxy PS2 with that slim version I never had a disc read error again, except when the disk itself was really dirty. It still works perfectly, 3 years of constant play later, and the only problem with my gamecube is that a bunch of dust got jammed in the disc tray open button, so it's kinda jammed, but other than that it works perfectly too.

Around the Network
Apostrovich said:

My cousin plays his like 4 hours a day, and whenever he isn't playing it, he has it set to run Folding@home. For reference, one workload can take you up to like 20 hours, and he's completed about 120 work units by now. He literally never turns it off and he's had it since about May or June, and since folding@home came out before that, he's been running it on his PS3 nonstop since he hooked it up. On the other hand, the only person I know with a 360, my gamer freak best friend (i say gamer freak because he is obsessed with obtaining every single gaming console, accessory, and actual game ever made), who bought like 3 360 games before he even bought a system, he finally buys a 360 and it RRODs on him within 4 months.

@Munkeh

Yeah, seriously, after I finally replaced my original boxy PS2 with that slim version I never had a disc read error again, except when the disk itself was really dirty. It still works perfectly, 3 years of constant play later, and the only problem with my gamecube is that a bunch of dust got jammed in the disc tray open button, so it's kinda jammed, but other than that it works perfectly too.

I got a PS2 at launch, which could not properly read the discs with the purple/blue bottoms. So I swapped it with a"refurbished" one directly with sony for £60, this survived another 2 years of heavy use, before this hardly worked, so I had to buy the slimsline which has worked perfectly for the last two years

add me

Yeah, my PS2 didn't even screw up for like 2-3 years. Not until right about the time Dark Cloud 2 came out. -_- Rented it, tried to play it, and there we go, got my first disc read error. From there it gradually stopped playing all my other games. The last one it would play was Shinobi, and even then, only when propped up at like a 35 degree angle. Then that finally stopped working and I had my boss fix it, but instead I just gave him the repair fee and he exchanged me for a slim PS2.

Just another Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) post...

Even with a 6 inch hole at the top of the display does not mean there is good air flow getting into the display case itself. Air flow is about having dispersement and intake. There should be a 6 inch hole on the side where the unit is drawing air in as well.

RRoD can still happen and as this picture proves, it does. But, this is certainly not evidence of an epidemic. I have 4 x 360's at home. One is on about 5-12 / day playing music, videos, and gaming... I have yet to have a single problem with any of them.

This is like 360 people saying that 3rd party developers don't support PS3. It is simply untrue because PS3 is and will get more 3rd party titles. Or like saying Wii is a fad... The fad is still selling over 200,000 consoles a week WW after almost a year on the market.

In the somethingawful forums, which has a lot of 360 fans, people are reporting failures from brand new (newly bundled machines) as well as Elites. Elites are no different than normal premiums right now, except that they're painted black and cost $100 more.

People are getting failures out of the box, failures within a month of purchase, and failures from units sent to them from Microsoft during the repair process. Nothing has been fixed yet, as far as I can tell, and I'm eagerly anticipating the 360's fix.

I can't wait for Microsoft to fix this damn thing, but they haven't yet.  New units, freshly manufactured units, are failing just like the old ones did.  And we only see the short-term failures -- 12 months from now we'll probably have the same huge failure rate for the units manufactured last month.