By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBOX Sales weakening, microsoft still losing money on each console sold.

Citan said:
Oh I`m loving it. Oh yes. Me loves it. Oh oh oh yes.

What are you loving? That the great american company is beating your favourite japanese company in sales and profit this gen?

Around the Network
De85 said:
Mr_Power said:
kowenicki said:
Thats a great headline, except for the fact it is wrong on both counts.

How is it wrong? elaborate. It's correct until proven otherwise. Microsoft said they were losing month on each console sold, and weakening sales is the statement of the article, didn't make it up, unlike your post.

No, the burden of proof is on whoever makes the assertion that they are losing money.   Multiple reports in the past have stated that MS makes a profit on each box, this blog seems to be the only one who believes differently.

Reports where about the whole XBox brand, and most probably Elites were already profiting in the past at $399 and are now too, even at $299, but nobody ever proved Arcades are profiting.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

a 4 yrs old console.. selling at a loss.. doesnt seem likely, especially since the reduction in chip size(s) etc. Id say MS is losing ore money on grabbing titles, and ads..They have enough plans in place to suck the consumers off money, LIVE, HDD, wifi etc..

Losing money? after 4 yrs? It would seem a lil, well.. disturbing..

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

arsenicazure said:

a 4 yrs old console.. selling at a loss.. doesnt seem likely, especially since the reduction in chip size(s) etc. Id say MS is losing ore money on grabbing titles, and ads..They have enough plans in place to suck the consumers off money, LIVE, HDD, wifi etc..

Losing money? after 4 yrs? It would seem a lil, well.. disturbing..

If they are losing money, it may be on the arcade, combined with the amount of repairs made on 360's. Other than that, IMO the Elite is profitable.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
De85 said:
Mr_Power said:
kowenicki said:
Thats a great headline, except for the fact it is wrong on both counts.

How is it wrong? elaborate. It's correct until proven otherwise. Microsoft said they were losing month on each console sold, and weakening sales is the statement of the article, didn't make it up, unlike your post.

No, the burden of proof is on whoever makes the assertion that they are losing money.   Multiple reports in the past have stated that MS makes a profit on each box, this blog seems to be the only one who believes differently.

Reports where about the whole XBox brand, and most probably Elites were already profiting in the past at $399 and are now too, even at $299, but nobody ever proved Arcades are profiting.

Problem is that the report claims Xbox sales are weaking this qtr (end September 30th).  360 sales this quarter are very near what they were last year.  Then add the fact that the SKU that had a price reduction was the SKU that is clearly profitable.  So the ratio of Arcade to Pro/Elite would be leaning more towards the clearly profitable SKU.  Then you add in a game in September that is 1st party and may hit 3 million before end of the month.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

I would love to see this Anaylist Curtis Shauger's source on the 360 consoles losing money per console sold. In fact he doesn't include any sources what so-ever. Hmmm... Hey guys I just analyzed Sony and found out they are actually bankrupt and in debt by $300B yen and lose $2,450 per PS3 sold...

Source, you say? I don't need one, I'm an analyst

@arsenicazure:
PS3 Slim is ALMOST breaking even at $299, so, as Xenon costs a little less than Cell and DVD a little less (production cost, I mean, what MS and Sony pay) than BD, I'm pretty sure XB360 Elite is doing a little profit at $299 (and at $399 it was huge), but HDD and little else have an industrial price smaller than $100. It's not a proof, I know, but people believing Arcade is profiting never proved it too, and the analogy I just wrote is more in favour of my belief than theirs.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

thx1139 said:

[...]
Problem is that the report claims Xbox sales are weaking this qtr (end September 30th).  360 sales this quarter are very near what they were last year.  Then add the fact that the SKU that had a price reduction was the SKU that is clearly profitable.  So the ratio of Arcade to Pro/Elite would be leaning more towards the clearly profitable SKU.  Then you add in a game in September that is 1st party and may hit 3 million before end of the month.

But in fact, I don't agree with that analyst, I don't question overall profitability of the brand, I just think it's LIKELY that if there are still losses on HW, they are only on Arcades.

Certainly the Arcade component costs have dropped over the past year plus. Remember the first Arcades at $199.99 were falcons. Jaspers cost less to produce. BR drives cost ~$50 more than DVD drives. Arcade has no HDD so that drops about $50 per unit. 360 also doesnt have a couple of components (like WiFi) built in that adds to PS3 cost (slightly). If PS3 just about breaking even than a HDD drive equipped 360 has to be making at least $50 per unit.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

^^
You are overestimating cost difference and HDD wholesale price, those you report were more likely at the time of the last iSuppli estimate we too were able to read on this site, published on December 2008 and based on data of October 2008.