By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony tackles BBC over 'PS3 failure' report

I think the BBC came off reasonable well. Yes this was a bit sensationalist but I think those who saw the programme will come away believing Sony have a inherent fault which I think they do and it simply gets worse over time.

Is this issue of the magnitude of the Microsoft inherent fault? No, for a start it appears to occur later in the life of the product.

Who won this round? Well those that think Sony won are slightly misguided. Anyone expecting Sony to pursue the BBC through the courts again misguided. So this round goes to the BBC. Sony can win this back but only by taking this on the chin and offering this specific fault for free.

If they do this they could take a leaf out of Microsoft’s book and offer this retrospectively to the 12,500 customer who have gone through the Sony repair centres. As this occurred later in the life of the console a lot of the repairs will of been carried out by third parties which means I think they will miss out.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

Yeah getting a news service the size of the BBC in your bad books is really not the way for sony to deal with this, sorry for anyone expecting a lawsuit to fix things.

^

Yes and No, I had not realised this was something of a campaign by Watchdog and will be revisited over this series.

The 6 page response though was not the correct route. They would of been much better sending somebody up against Anne Robinson for her to be rude and sick to the Sony point. They did not choose this option always a bad signal.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

If you missed the show, this sums it up pretty well.

http://www.destructoid.com/watchdog-attempts-to-humilitate-sony-fails-hard-149013.phtml

Do you want japanese voices in FF13 and Versus 13? Write to these guys and tell them: support@square-enix-usa.com

Sony will not take the BBC to court.

Reasons

1. The BBC lawyers are very very good. Everything they transmitted will have been OK legally under UK law.

2. The BBC are hugely influential worldwide. Taking them to court would produce a bad press headache that would be comparable to LBP having a level where Sackboy urinates on the Koran.

The show is sensationalist but it seems to work and often forces companies hands.

They also always follow up stories. This will not be the end of the matter.
Expect a lab test on YLOD PS3's in a week or two attempting to prove an inherent fault.

Scoff all you want but these shows carry weight.

Anyway. If they prove a design fault and force SONY to repair all YLODS free of charge thats a good thing....RIGHT ?

Around the Network

I totally agree with the BBC, Sony do have a problem with the PS3 and the sooner it is covered with a extended warrany the better... I say that if it is less then 1% it will not cost them very much. Also I wrote to watchdog about 2 weeks ago to explain what happened to my PS3.. I hope this is because of me and my PS3... because when I was on my second reapir I called Sony and said I would write to them and make as much noise as I could.. Lets hope the little man has been heard

Christhegamer said:
I totally agree with the BBC, Sony do have a problem with the PS3 and the sooner it is covered with a extended warrany the better... I say that if it is less then 1% it will not cost them very much. Also I wrote to watchdog about 2 weeks ago to explain what happened to my PS3.. I hope this is because of me and my PS3... because when I was on my second reapir I called Sony and said I would write to them and make as much noise as I could.. Lets hope the little man has been heard

Good for you Chris

So many people on these forums seem to think that a console breaking after 24 months is par for the course.

Its just this type of drop trousers and touch toes attitude that lets big companies get away with poor QA.

I honestly cannot understand the attitude of some people on these forums.

For the record and I appreciate its a difficult concept for fanboys everywhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You own a video console. You paid good money for it.

You didnt invent the sodding thing and the companies dont deserve your mis placed loyalty.

Ignorance is bliss for some of you crying. Here is something I learned in one of my engineering classes. The reason things have a 1 year warranty (which is more than enough) is pretty simple. If a piece of electronics like a PS3 works flawlessly for a year, it is going to work flawlessly for a LONG LONG time. MOST of the PS3 problems as somebody else stated are USER ERROR. Keeping your PS3 in a dust cabinet and not cleaning it isn't going to do you any good. Just like anything with a fan, it needs cleaned on occasion, just like your PC. I'm pulling this from no where, but I honestly think 99% of failed PS3s are USER ERROR that occur outside the 1 year warranty.

The Halo francise is the most overrated bland game to ever hit the console market. It provides a bad name to all FPS that even showed effort at creating an original entertaining plot.

I probably have more ps3 games than you :/ 

This is Biased reporting at its best. not to mention the statistics are as inaccurate as the game informer is with RRoD.