By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GH3 vs Rock Band

I am really looking forward to GH3, especially since I am getting tired of the current songs. Sadly I am not hardcore enough yet, I have not yet beaten expert for GH2. I am stuck on the last set, can't complete any of the damn songs, Misirlou is sonofabitch btw!

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

EA doesn't care about sales - EA cares about revenue. Plus they will continuously release updated song lists, new content, etc.

This game isn't just a single product - its the start of an entire product line from EA.

They could end up supporting this indefinitely - with no reason for a sequel to ever be released.

EA will do just fine out of this, make no mistake.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

GooseGaws said:
@Entroper:

Was it really their choice to leave? They were purchased by MTV games; they had no contractual attachment to either Activision or Red Octane, did they?

Wouldn't it have been their choice to sell out to MTV or not?  To be honest, I'm kind of surprised they didn't have a no-compete with Activision.

Rock Band is only on 360 and PS3, right? That's another big factor of course. Guitar Hero III has been whored out to pretty much every console and handheld that's selling decently.

I'm seriously considering buying GH3...Rock Band isn't an option for me anyway. It's still quite a bit to pay for GH3 and an extra guitar, though, too.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I always believed that, even with a non-bundle option, GH3 would outsell Rock Band by a large margin, especially since GH3 is on more platforms.

Now, I doubt Rock Band will be able to establish itself early on at all, and GH3 will continue to reign supresem

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Rock Band is only on 360 and PS3, right? That's another big factor of course. Guitar Hero III has been whored out to pretty much every console and handheld that's selling decently.

I'm seriously considering buying GH3...Rock Band isn't an option for me anyway. It's still quite a bit to pay for GH3 and an extra guitar, though, too.

Also on PS2 (but no Wii version?) W/E

DonWii said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Also on PS2 (but no Wii version?) W/E

I think it's because of what Shams said, about getting money from DLC track lists and etc. Even if they don't sell a lot, some of the people will probably provide a steady revenue stream. They probably just (later) announced a PS2 version as quick cash grab since the PS2 does have a massive install base.

The Wii's base is still a fraction of the PS2 and doesn't have a harddrive, which would really limit what they
could do with DLC, so that's probably why they're passing on it at the moment. Depending on thier returns
for Rockband and how well GHIII sells on the Wii I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a Wii version. Since 
they could potentially offset some of the cost by using the remote as the Wi-Fi Dongle (Like GHIII is) and this
is the kind of game that seems to fit the Wii's mantra of getting everyone to play. 

sadly the rock band bundle only comes with one guitar, and since it is in bundle form only til feburary, if you want the second guitar you need to buy either gh3 or a craptastic 3rd party guitar.

Punch Rockgroin said:
makingmusic476 said:
I was a big supporter of Rock Band when it was first announced, since Harmonix were the developers, and when Neversoft was given GH3, I was really disappointed. However, all that changed when they started announcing the songs for each game. GH3 has a lot more metal tracks than RB, which was expected since it caters towards the guitar rather than the band as a whole.

For example, RB has Metallica's Enter Sandman, whereas GH3 has Metallica's One. One is from 'Tallica's thrash days, and from their most technical album, ...And Justice for All. That is just one example of the clear difference between the two lists, so I ultimately decided I will get GH3 over RB when they come out.

Or course, classic rock played a small role as well. On the whole, both games could use a hell of a lot more metal.

Songs I want to play from GH3:

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Metallica - One
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames
Take This Life - In Flames (though there were much better songs they could've chosen)
Rock You Like A Hurricane - Scorpions
Raining Blood - Slayer
Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses
And a few more

Songs I want from Rock Band:

Metallica - Enter Sandman
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
(Don't Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive (that's like my theme song, lol. With a six-string by my side...)
...and that's about it.

See the difference?

I'm the opposite of this. I'd prefer more classic rock than metal. Or a more varied song list in general since I like a ton of stuff. Also I'm a drummer so obviously Rock Band is going to appeal more. But I found myself when playing guitar hero 2 and Rocks the 80s not actually liking the songs. The difficulty was pumped up a notch which was great, but I just don't care for some of the tracks. Especially the harder ones. I find myself playing the first game a lot more these days. The soundtrack and quality of the covers were nearly flawless.

When I said that "Classic Rock played a small part as well" I meant that I preferred a higher number of classic rock songs, as I showed with my lists from both games.  I'll take metal and classic rock over modern rock any day of the week. 

Although, sadly, RB does seem a tad bit heavier on the CR front.  I want my Bon Jovi! /cry

Sqrl said:
I am really looking forward to GH3, especially since I am getting tired of the current songs. Sadly I am not hardcore enough yet, I have not yet beaten expert for GH2. I am stuck on the last set, can't complete any of the damn songs, Misirlou is sonofabitch btw!

Thunderhorse on expert with hyper mode on is so fun. :D