By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii $50 price cut will give Wii sales huge boost. $200 Wii for Xmas 2009

Wii sales could be around 70 million sales by 31 December 2009 with Wii $50 price cut.

Wii without a price cut and the Wii would be around 65 million sales by 31 December 2009.

A difference of 5 million systems in 2 months. (Assuming the  $50 Wii price cut is implemented at the start of November 2009 - the start of the Xmas sales period).

By the end of 2010 with Wii being at $200 for around 14 months  it could reach 90 million console sales by the end of 2010. 20 million sales in 2010.

However if the Wii was unchanged in price the Wii could be around the 80 million sales mark. 15 million in 2010.

The increase hardware sales would result in increased sales of both Wii hardware and Wii software sales  due to the impact of the $50 (20%) price cut.

Extra Wii sales due to price cut would eat away at both the XBox 360 and PS3 sales. Consumers would buy the cheapest console and the Wii being a more family friendly console system than the two HD twins.

Discuss Wii sales and the impact of the potential $50 price cut.

Around the Network

70 million by the end of 2009 wouldn't happen even with a pricecut. They would need to sell 16 million in 3 months from October to December (If we expect 1 million in September which is a lot). 65 million with a price cut seems more reasonable.

Without a price cut they could end in the 60-62 mill range for the end of 2009.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

$50 only?

In my opinion its still not worth it, and the overall impact won't be of a grand scale.

I think a 199 Wii would better in terms of the psychological aspect of marketing . A $250-$199 price drop almost looks like the Wii has had a $100 reduction in RRP.

I do have some doubts about whether or not the person who could afford a $199 Wii wouldn't be able to buy a $250 if they wanted to. Yes it cause a noticable boost in sales for the Wii but I don't think it'll be very signifcant nor will it do anything meaningful in the long term.

Nintendo is better off holding on to the profit for now , they'll use it to extend the life of the Wii rather than using it to attack their competitions market share.