By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
mrstickball said:
For MVP, I'd choose a very off-the-wall choice:

Brett Farve.

He has the best passer rating, and took a mediocre team and turned them into a 1-loss team. Did I mention that this is his 19th year?

That's not off the wall at all. He's near the top of most voters' lists right now. The only thing I don't get is how Brees is still so high up. Personally, I don't want Peyton Manning to get it. He's so good he should probably get it almost every year, but I think there comes a time the amount of times he's earned it should work against him just so someone else that hasn't won so many times can get their chance to shine also.

I'm also tired in general of the honor typically going to a QB, and if not a QB, someone on the offense. It's like they can't quantify the worth of a defensive player. Jared Allen is as important to Minnesota's ability to win as Brett Favre is. Darren Sharper has pulled New Orleans out of many sticky situations, and Jairus Byrd is the only player on the Bills that still gives a shit.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

rivers, romo, schuab, are my top qb mvps. but only if they can take their respective teams into the playoffs.

charles woodson has been on top of it for green bay this year, will smith in new orleans, what about keith brookings in dallas!

a lot of talent out their they just need to stay focused and consistent.

oh totally forgot to mention palmer and benson!

Onyxmeth said:
mrstickball said:

Brett Farve.

He has the best passer rating, and took a mediocre team and turned them into a 1-loss team. Did I mention that this is his 19th year?

That's not off the wall at all. He's near the top of most voters' lists right now. The only thing I don't get is how Brees is still so high up. Personally, I don't want Peyton Manning to get it. He's so good he should probably get it almost every year, but I think there comes a time the amount of times he's earned it should work against him just so someone else that hasn't won so many times can get their chance to shine also.

I'm also tired in general of the honor typically going to a QB, and if not a QB, someone on the offense. It's like they can't quantify the worth of a defensive player. Jared Allen is as important to Minnesota's ability to win as Brett Favre is. Darren Sharper has pulled New Orleans out of many sticky situations, and Jairus Byrd is the only player on the Bills that still gives a shit.

I really agree about defensive players...and honestly I think the only real solution is to do what they have done with Rookie of the Year and split it into offensive and defensive categories. 

For this year though, I really do not think many people understand how big Jared Allens contribution to MIN 8-1 record is.  If the season ended today he would easily deserve to be on the short list of guys for MVP imo, but he probably would not even make top 5 for most folks.

With that said I think in all probability Favre or Manning will win the honor..and of the two Manning deserves it more. 

PS - While we are on the topic of league awards, I now call Percy Harvin by the name of "Roy".  Needless to say I will be pretty surprised if he does not win the offensive half of the award. Obviously we have a little less than half a season to go, but he has been consistently excellent and I think he will keep it up if he can stay healthy.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:

I really agree about defensive players...and honestly I think the only real solution is to do what they have done with Rookie of the Year and split it into offensive and defensive categories. 

For this year though, I really do not think many people understand how big Jared Allens contribution to MIN 8-1 record is.  If the season ended today he would easily deserve to be on the short list of guys for MVP imo, but he probably would not even make top 5 for most folks.

With that said I think in all probability Favre or Manning will win the honor..and of the two Manning deserves it more. 

PS - While we are on the topic of league awards, I now call Percy Harvin by the name of "Roy".  Needless to say I will be pretty surprised if he does not win the offensive half of the award. Obviously we have a little less than half a season to go, but he has been consistently excellent and I think he will keep it up if he can stay healthy.

They do have a Defensive Player of the Year Award already, but it's considered to be of less importance, and there's still a singular MVP award that almost always goes to the Offensive Player of the Year. They should just strike the MVP award and have two, like you said.

I definitely agree about Jared Allen. That guy is a beast. I'm more impressed with Jairus Byrd this year and what's he's managing to do in Buffalo simply because he's a damn rookie and seems to be the defensive back equivalent to Patrick Willis' early dominance at linebacker. If he's not Defensive Rookie of the Year then something is wrong there. He's had at least one interception in the last 5 straight games, totaling 8 for the season. That's the most out of any player, even Darren Sharper.

Regarding Percy Harvin, I don't think anyone is really all that close to him. Most offensive rookies have been pretty mediocre this year. My Giants' Hakeem Nicks had a nice little run with four straight weeks recording TDs, but Harvin's return skills are unbelievable. It's really all a WR battle this year anyways with Harvin, Maclin, Nicks and Collie all doing some pretty good work on their teams. No tight ends have emerged as worthwhile. No RBs are having a great year, not even Moreno, Wells or Brown. The QBs are either too shaky(Sanchez), are on too bad a team (Stafford) to get anything done, or are playing impressive but didn't play enough of the season(Freeman) to get mentioned. An O-line player is a tough enough sell when there's a damn good player sticking out, let alone a year when there isn't. I say if Harvin falls a bit and Freeman picks up the Bucs' year, he may have a chance, otherwise it's Harvin all the way.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

week 9 didn't get tallied right. It says I have 11 wins, but I really only had 8. Everyone got 3 extra wins for the games that didn't get played.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Sqrl said:
Onyxmeth said:
mrstickball said:

Brett Farve.

Favre 17 tds 3 int (wow lowest int never thought i see that) highest QB rating . Manning 20 td 7 in most passing yards too. Chris Johnson 1,091yrds rushing already 6.4 avg. Jared Allen 10.5 sacks and a TD. But MVP would have to go to Troy Polamalu dude is every where on the field. Haven't seen one player effect a teams defense soo much . He out Steelers like a whole diff team.

Hmm. Why were my picks not added to the list? Did I screw up and not PM my week 10 picks, and instead post 'em in the thread?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

brawl4life said:
Sqrl said:

Favre 17 tds 3 int (wow lowest int never thought i see that) highest QB rating . Manning 20 td 7 in most passing yards too. Chris Johnson 1,091yrds rushing already 6.4 avg. Jared Allen 10.5 sacks and a TD. But MVP would have to go to Troy Polamalu dude is every where on the field. Haven't seen one player effect a teams defense soo much . He out Steelers like a whole diff team.

I agree that Polamalu is the best defensive player in the NFL, but he's just spent too much time injured this year, and he's going to be sitting out again after re-injuring his knee in the Bengals game. You can't give the MVP award to a player sitting out as much as Polamalu is this year.

mrstickball said:
Hmm. Why were my picks not added to the list? Did I screw up and not PM my week 10 picks, and instead post 'em in the thread?

Just double checked, I don't have a PM from you for week 10 =/

Speaking of which, I am doing the week 10 final update now...

To Each Man, Responsibility