By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Toshiba decides to toally ditch the 360 HD-DVD and puts out Blu ray player

Toshiba America Consumer Products announced today its first Blu-ray player, model BDX2000. It supports BD-Live (Profile 2.0), 1080p video and DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. It also features Regza-Link function, an SD card slot, and AVCHD playback (but no streaming video of any kind is mentioned). It will be available in November, with an MSRP of $249.99.

"Toshiba is a technology leader in high definition products," said Jodi Sally, Vice President of Marketing, Digital A/V Group. "From listening to our consumers we know they demand access to full high definition content. With the introduction of our BDX2000 we are offering consumers what they want with a breath-taking HD viewing experience to meet the needs of today's home theater."

The European version will have the model number BDX2000KE will have a list price of €269. Availability will be in December 2009 or January 2010, because the first production run will go to North America to cover the holidays shopping season.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3365

Around the Network

if you can't beat em.......

Not content with putting out a set-top BD player, Toshiba announced today its first laptop with an integrated Blu-ray Disc drive: the Satellite P500. It will support BD-ROM, BD-R and BD-RE and DVD SuperMulti DL +/RW. It will come with a TrueBrite 18.4" display (with a resolution of either 1,680x950 or full 1920x1080), and integrated Resolution+ upscaling technology.

It will be powered by an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Nvidia graphics (Geforce GT510M or GT530M), and will have 4GB of DDR memory and up to 500GB of storage, and high-end Harman Kardon speakers.

The Satellite P500 will be available from October, at a price still to be determined

well its about time HD-DVD died 18 months ago

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

well they have to sit around and then finally come ot the conclusion that it was all a big waste......then design.....then make.....and package players. It takes time.

Around the Network

I just can't wait until MS puts out the 720.....that will push Blu-ray a lot more b/c the current thinking is that it will include a blu drive.

99% of people aren't fanboys and this set just wont care if they are buying something that sends royalties to sony....

After the 720 comes out we could easily be looking at blu-ray getting 20% of the market share in america.

250 is a bit steep. For that price people can go buy a ps3

True but this is their first attempt at a bd player....they will probably get cheaper over time as well i mean tosh does some stuff that's almost budget level so I don't see why this will be any different

What does this have to do with the 360?

JaggedSac said:
What does this have to do with the 360?

Agreed...neither the 360 nor Microsoft was noted in the op or linked article...funny that it would show up here.  Or maybe not so funny really.