By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BC or ps2, what's the difference?

1. If your new to Sony then you don't have PS2 games to play anyway

2. If your a lifelong sony fan then you have a PS2 anyway to play your games on

3. If your a real PS3 fan you bought the 60 or 20 gig with BC so this isn't a problem.

Around the Network

Upscaling is unnoticeable for me, unless you want the sides of the screen cut off for a marginal improvement. It's nice to have, but I wish I kept my PS2 and just put it in my room.

theprof00 said:
those are all good features, but is it really a reason not to buy something?
When i got dvd, i didn't care about getting a dvd/vcr. I just used both... but maybe it's not the a good comparison.

It's not that it's a reason not to buy it, it's one less reason to buy it.

Though that said, I really like my PS2 library and I wouldn't like losing it since I'm just not putting a PS2 and PS3 in my entertainment center.

leo-j said:
One is upscaled to HD resolution, and darn im going ot have to get a PS2 now..

just use component cables with the PS2, it boosts the colors and graphics a touch.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

comon, a slim ps2 is so small you can put it on top of the ps3, and since they use different cables you can just connect both of them to the tv at once and switch both on, just change between av and hdmi channels use the remote. The only thing that can be a little messy is the ps2 controller, but unless you like playing games while lying on the bed like me i didnt see the big problem with it neither.

Around the Network
iBlah said:

comon, a slim ps2 is so small you can put it on top of the ps3, and since they use different cables you can just connect both of them to the tv at once and switch both on, just change between av and hdmi channels use the remote. The only thing that can be a little messy is the ps2 controller, but unless you like playing games while lying on the bed like me i didnt see the big problem with it neither.

It's hard to stack things on top of my PS3 since, you know, it has the curved top.  And yes actually, like I said, my entertainment center has about as many things as I can put in it. 

Also, I do not stack my consoles because I actually like to take care of my electronics that is why I've never had one of my consoles break on me (except a 360 that was dead out of the box).

As for cords, there's a reason people love wireless.  Even if I wasn't sitting 8 feet away from my console like I am, I would still much rather not dealing with a cord, especially when the wife hates seeing controllers strewn across the living room.

@twesterm
have you ever been really excited about something and then realized that nobody cares? That's what happened to Sony when they realized that 80-90% of their potential audience didn't care about BC, as shown in their recent address.

I am kinda addicted to wireless now though, but it's not make or break. The real deal is the games. And if you're buying a ps3 to play ps2 games, you're making a big mistake IMO.

theprof00 said:
@twesterm
have you ever been really excited about something and then realized that nobody cares? That's what happened to Sony when they realized that 80-90% of their potential audience didn't care about BC, as shown in their recent address.

I am kinda addicted to wireless now though, but it's not make or break. The real deal is the games. And if you're buying a ps3 to play ps2 games, you're making a big mistake IMO.

I have trouble believing that 80-90% number without knowing where it came from.  I wouldn't be surprised if that number came from one of two sources:

1. It was one of those surveys where they ask do you like this shiny Subway sandwhich with a $5 attached or this fatty Jr. hamburger?
  2. They ask people that they're already 80-90% sure the answer they're going to give.

I just have trouble believing that if you ask random people if they would rather have BC or not, 80-90% would say no.

that's the problem with polls. Most of it is how the question is phrased. It was probably more of an open ended rather than a closed ended question. Something like, "How important is BC to you?"

Regardless, Sony said that not enough people really cared about it. Which would explain why they flip-flopped on their attitude like that. Of course they could be covering it up, but they could also truly believe that people don't care enough.

Your analogy of the sub with a 5$ bill attached was perfect, seeing as how ps3 without bc was cheaper.

The survey was something like "which of these features is most important to you from 1-5?" "B/C etc etc" I think it had maybe a little to do with the survey but also to cut prices and at the time Ps3 was selling horribly and Ps2 was still doing good and Ps3 SW was horrible which affected their decision.