By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics Whore Showdown Round 4: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune vs Gears of War

Asmo said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:

Now multiply those polygons by the number of model on screen..and tell me which is pushing more....

For that there is a very nice technique that devs use that is called LOD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

Even with that Factored in...Gears still pushes more...

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
tedsteriscool said:
nightsurge said:
The only way one looks better than the other is if you are a fanboy or if you prefer a different art style over the other. Gears goes for more realistic models and definitely has better textures. Uncharted has more color and better animations, and uses the best Cell Shading I've ever seen.

I'd say Gears wins because I prefer the art style and the higher level of realism it gives over the slightly cartoonish/plastic look of Uncharted.

Because supersoldiers with biceps bigger than their heads is realistic?

Realistic in their appearance in relation to a real life human.  They look more like real life people than the barbie/plastic look of uncharted is what I'm saying.

I love gears of wat but it is in no way an even closely accurate representation of real life people, certainly not more than uncharted.  the character models in uncharted actually look like everday people, the people in gears look like they have invaded Alex Rodriguez locker at yankee stadium and stole all his steroids.  their arms are waaaay out of whack as is their necks and head size

Vetteman94 said:
Uncharted

But stop comparing it to Gears 2, that a battle it cannot win.

@nightsurge

So Marcus, Dom and Cole all look closer to real human beings than Nathan, Elena and Sully?

Yes, if I saw their exact extrapolation walking around in real life I'd think it looked like a real COG.  If I saw Nathan, Elena, and Sully walking around I would wonder why three people have such matte and perfect skin with an almost unrealistic amount of color to them.

Disregard your comments about size of a real normal human, that's not what I am saying.  I'm saying the actual appearance in relation to a real life object.  One looks like it could be a person in a big suit, the other just looks like plastic people or barbies.  Uncharted 2 improved a lot on that, thankfully.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/840/840692/uncharted-drakes-fortune-interview-20071210072850327.jpg

I'm not saying that Uncharted has crappy detail, the clothes and items look great, I'm just saying that the art style they chose was not meant to model real life skin, nor is their environments meant to mimic a real life photograph of nature.  It's all in the art style.

nightsurge said:
Vetteman94 said:
Uncharted

But stop comparing it to Gears 2, that a battle it cannot win.

@nightsurge

So Marcus, Dom and Cole all look closer to real human beings than Nathan, Elena and Sully?

Yes, if I saw their exact extrapolation walking around in real life I'd think it looked like a real COG.  If I saw Nathan, Elena, and Sully walking around I would wonder why three people have such matte and perfect skin with an almost unrealistic amount of color to them.

Disregard your comments about size of a real normal human, that's not what I am saying.  I'm saying the actual appearance in relation to a real life object.  One looks like it could be a person in a big suit, the other just looks like plastic people or barbies.  Uncharted 2 improved a lot on that, thankfully.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/840/840692/uncharted-drakes-fortune-interview-20071210072850327.jpg

I'm not saying that Uncharted has crappy detail, the clothes and items look great, I'm just saying that the art style they chose was not meant to model real life skin, nor is their environments meant to mimic a real life photograph of nature.  It's all in the art style.

How can you tell me to disregard size but then say that "if I saw there exact extrapolation walking around in real life"?  Cause If I saw the exact extrapolation of Elena, who actually looks alot like her voice actress, I would think that is a cute chick.  But If i saw an exact extrapolation of Cole walking around, I would shit myself from fear.  Cause no man has the right to be that big.

^You'd hit on a walking adult sized Barbie doll? That's... odd

And some men are that large:
http://hellomotor.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/kimbo_slice_02_2.jpg

Around the Network

uncharted

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Kimbo Slice is no where near the same size as Cole from Gears,  and yes i would hit on an adult sized barbie doll

uncharted

nightsurge said:
^You'd hit on a walking adult sized Barbie doll? That's... odd

And some men are that large:
http://hellomotor.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/kimbo_slice_02_2.jpg

Realistic does not mean that 1 person on the face of the earth might be the same size or appearance....i know of at least 30 women who have a resemblence to Elena.  I know several guys who resemble nathan drake.  and know many many old men who resemble sully.  I know of NO ONE who even comes close to the charecters in gears.  your "barbie doll" argument is pure nonsense.  sure they are attractive charecters, does that make them unrealistic?  does gears unattractive charecters make them more realistic? 

Ugh, you people are completely misinterpreting what I am saying. You compare a guy in a suit in real life to a guy in Gears and they look very similar because goes for photo realism. Uncharted has a totally different art style. It has some realism in environments and clothing, but the skin, and facial features, as well as the overall color/design is just a tad cartoonish, plastic, or fake looking.

They are different art styles. I prefer the ones that try for photo realism.