By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft struggles with 360's DVD, and PS3's lack of sufficient memory.

ubisoft could use Xvid for compressing the videos and mp3 to compress the sound. with blue ray they have the freedom to include uncompressed sound and video.
As for memory problems, well its a case of MS using its first mover advantage. Most dev's have worked on the 360 for over 2-3 years now.
PS3 h/w took a long time to get fixed and sdk's were very late.
Xbox 360 & PS3 Architecture are as different as chalk and cheese.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Around the Network
smallflyingtaco said:
starcraft said:

Looks like neither of our powerhouse consoles have everything they need.

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=9134&sid=0ab0774ca332443b92664fc479613d98&title=Assassin%27s+Creed+having+development+issues

"Both have their own challenges. Right now we have a big challenge on the 360 to make it fit on a DVD, to put five languages, to put all the data on eight gigs. On the Blu-ray side we're really good, but then the memory is quite different. How we handle memory is really different between the two machines and we're struggling right now on the PS3." says Desilets.

Why are they putting five languages on one disc?

Are they trying to save some money??? (I miss the JPN,USA,EU versions)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
SteveKishi said:
I think were in that technological state where multiple discs are not longer needed. They are more so viewed as a hassel than anything else. When you have a medium option out there that can hold a lot of space and make everything fit on one disc it makes everything easier. If microsoft would allow developers to make use of their HD-DVD drive that some have. Then space would not be as much of an issue.

Said game would also have a consumer base as large as the N-Gage ;).

I don't know why people think games on the HD DVD player would fix anything, because it wouldn't. There aren't nearly enough HD DVD players to allow any big budget next gen game to even break even, let alone make a profit. 

FJ-Warez said:
smallflyingtaco said:
starcraft said:

Looks like neither of our powerhouse consoles have everything they need.

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=9134&sid=0ab0774ca332443b92664fc479613d98&title=Assassin%27s+Creed+having+development+issues

"Both have their own challenges. Right now we have a big challenge on the 360 to make it fit on a DVD, to put five languages, to put all the data on eight gigs. On the Blu-ray side we're really good, but then the memory is quite different. How we handle memory is really different between the two machines and we're struggling right now on the PS3." says Desilets.

Im guessing that based on where the game takes place, you may have characters speaking different languages.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
FJ-Warez said:
smallflyingtaco said:

Im guessing that based on where the game takes place, you may have characters speaking different languages.

I don't think so, probably is just the EU version... (Spanish, English, German, etc)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

DVD9 is a problem but easily fixed with multiple discs. ( Blue Dragon ). However Memory is more worrying.