By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Browser hijacking ad found on the site

On the main page, a popup telling me that my computer may be infected popped up. I force quite my firefox, because I know this is a malware scam. Restarted, and it brought up their "antivirus" page on bootup.

Might want to check your advertiser sources.

Around the Network

e-mail ioi with as much info as possible. Posting in the forums may get lucky, but an e-mail is guaranteed he'll see it. Just make sure you have a good subject line.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I read Bowser, and was totally expecting something  else.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

bardicverse said:

On the main page, a popup telling me that my computer may be infected popped up. I force quite my firefox, because I know this is a malware scam. Restarted, and it brought up their "antivirus" page on bootup.

Might want to check your advertiser sources.

had the same thing happen to me.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yep had this too. Only happened twice though. Usually I'm tolerant of ads, but when things start to redirect my web page, or take me to a hijacking site I drop using the site. This is probably my favorite site though, so of course I wouldn't do that.

Around the Network

Let us all blame DGC again xD

I knew that Hello Kitty ad was up to no good.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Soriku said:

You could try adblocking it. If it's gonna mess up your computer I don't see any reason why you don't have a right to do that. But emailing ioi helps too.

Adblocking doesn't work for this ad. Also isn't it against the rules to mention it?

runnin firefox no ads show ever for me really

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Soriku said:

Are you sure? Don't see why it wouldn't work...

Also, adblocking is against the rules but if it's gonna mess up your PC I don't see what's the harm in adblocking one ad. What's better, screwing up your computer and not having you on VGC for a while and wasting your time and losing the site some revenue if you were going to go on VGC initially, or not losing much revenue on a single stupid ad temporarily until ioi is notified while having everything else unblocked?

But if ioi is notified it'll be taken care of.

It isn't too much of an ad, more than it redirects your browser to a different URL. I've seen this on many sites before. It is a page that is suppose to look like the "My Computer" directory, and then it tells you that you have "x" number of viruses... Download our program to clean them. It probably doesn't screw up your computer either. It is most likely a fake anti virus software where they try to get you to buy it, and therefore scam you.