By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BluRay Players Now $98

tedsteriscool said:
nordlead said:

I'm sure you are refering to the PS3, but for those that want a real remote and no fan noise in a simple package that uses little power they should get the Sony BDP-s560 which retails for $350, but can be found cheaper. It is essentially the equivilent of the PS3 in terms of quality (a little slower on the load times) and it has Wifi so you can use BDLive easily.

Well, since it's equivalent in terms of BD playback I can see why you'd recommend it. But why not pay $50 less and get a multimedia device that's capable of much more (eg. Gaming, web browsing)? Noise can be a problem, but most home theatres are never quiet enough to even hear PS3s over their surround systems.

Edit: @ ssj12: That site you linked to says $500, or am I looking at the wrong player?

because not everyone wants a multimedia device. Honestly, my parents would never want to use the PS3 as a player. It chews up >100W, has fan noise, have to spend more for a controller or be stuck with the DS3, along with being more complicated to run due to more options. Sometimes devices that do everything just do to much and the simpler solution is better.

Besides, I said you could get the BDP-s560 cheaper, and you can easily pick it up for $30 less than the PS3 without having to jump through any hoops unlike trying to get a PS3 for less than $300.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

^Well the new PS3 slim has no fan noise.
And I looked up the player mentioned and it has the exact same XMB menu as the PS3.
On the player all you do is stick the movie in and go over to "VIDEO" and the disc shows up right there.
VERY SIMPLE, my family uses it all the time and not all of them are tech savvy.

tedsteriscool said:
nordlead said:
tedsteriscool said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Cheaper BR players often have compatibility problems with newer BR movies(some don't even have firmware updates, or the ability to go online), and almost always "freeze" as in, stop motion for upwards of 6 seconds as often as ever 30 minutes. Again, the upscaling features of each BR player differ vastly in quality as well as available outputs.

A BR player isn't like an HDMI cord. The ones that cost 500 dollars, cost 500 dollars for a reason, and the ones that cost 100 dollars, cost 100 dollars because they suck.

I'm not embellishing this. Don't waste your money.

And the ones that cost $300 are still the best on the market

I'm sure you are refering to the PS3, but for those that want a real remote and no fan noise in a simple package that uses little power they should get the Sony BDP-s560 which retails for $350, but can be found cheaper. It is essentially the equivilent of the PS3 in terms of quality (a little slower on the load times) and it has Wifi so you can use BDLive easily.

Well, since it's equivalent in terms of BD playback I can see why you'd recommend it. But why not pay $50 less and get a multimedia device that's capable of much more (eg. Gaming, web browsing)? Noise can be a problem, but most home theatres are never quiet enough to even hear PS3s over their surround systems.

Edit: @ ssj12: That site you linked to says $500, or am I looking at the wrong player?

Nope, remembered wrong price. Its the correct player. Still, the feature set is AMAZING for a $500 player. It easily destroys everything in its price range and below.

here is a hardware review: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/Hardware_Review:_OPPO_BDP-83_Blu-ray_Player/3186

Eventually, I will buy this player, and probably never have another reason to use my PS3 as a Blu-ray player every again unless I get a second big screen TV.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
nordlead said:
tedsteriscool said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Cheaper BR players often have compatibility problems with newer BR movies(some don't even have firmware updates, or the ability to go online), and almost always "freeze" as in, stop motion for upwards of 6 seconds as often as ever 30 minutes. Again, the upscaling features of each BR player differ vastly in quality as well as available outputs.

A BR player isn't like an HDMI cord. The ones that cost 500 dollars, cost 500 dollars for a reason, and the ones that cost 100 dollars, cost 100 dollars because they suck.

Actually, if someone wants one of the best Blu-ray palyers on the market, they just have to spend $400. The PS3 is complete and utter trash compared to Oppo Digital's player. Its feature set is equivilent to the $4000 Blu-ray players for a tenth of the price.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

Yeah, I've heard the tagline, and oppo at one time did make the best upscaling DVD player, which is no longer in production.

As for top end BR players, they're about 2000 bucks now, and those players don't offer much improvement over the PS3, and the "feature set" includes the kind of useless stuff that only a...not so frugle person...pays 2000 dollars for. BR players like the Marantz 8002 are made of hand picked components that are dependable for a lifetime. It doesn't cost 2000 dollars because it's also a 1000w amplifier, and the software is tweakable via cool looking manual buttons, it's costs 2000 dollars because it's 100 percent handmade, and because you're paying for the brand.

For picture quality, and important features, the PS3 is still by far the best BR player, and I've always found the phrase "for the money" to be redundant. Money is and should always be a factor in decision making. For nuts, fiddles, and whistles, and if I'm stealing it, I'd still pick the PS3 because that 2000 dollar BR player doesn't look any better, and doesn't play Uncharted, so wtf.

That said, Oppo is a respectable brand, and I actually do own that DVD upscaler I mentioned.

Also, the PS3 BR remote, last I checked is 20 bucks on amazon, and if you're prime, it's free 2 day shipping.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
ssj12 said:
nordlead said:
tedsteriscool said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Actually, if someone wants one of the best Blu-ray palyers on the market, they just have to spend $400. The PS3 is complete and utter trash compared to Oppo Digital's player. Its feature set is equivilent to the $4000 Blu-ray players for a tenth of the price.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

Yeah, I've heard the tagline, and oppo at one time did make the best upscaling DVD player, which is no longer in production.

As for top end BR players, they're about 2000 bucks now, and those players don't offer much improvement over the PS3, and the "feature set" includes the kind of useless stuff that only a...not so frugle person...pays 2000 dollars for. BR players like the Marantz 8002 are made of hand picked components that are dependable for a lifetime. It doesn't cost 2000 dollars because it's also a 1000w amplifier, and the software is tweakable via cool looking manual buttons, it's costs 2000 dollars because it's 100 percent handmade, and because you're paying for the brand.

For picture quality, and important features, the PS3 is still by far the best BR player, and I've always found the phrase "for the money" to be redundant. Money is and should always be a factor in decision making. For nuts, fiddles, and whistles, and if I'm stealing it, I'd still pick the PS3 because that 2000 dollar BR player doesn't look any better, and doesn't play Uncharted, so wtf.

That said, Oppo is a respectable brand, and I actually do own that DVD upscaler I mentioned.

Also, the PS3 BR remote, last I checked is 20 bucks on amazon, and if you're prime, it's free 2 day shipping.

Why would you spend $2000 when you can buy the Oppo player for $500 and have the best player on the market? Its not that bad of a price considering. Read the hardware review I posted a link to. You have to realize that the PS3 has features a lot of people dont care about, like the ability to play video games and browse the internet.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network

Dear Sony,

Do a PS3 plus remote bundle for the Holidays,

thanks,

Mr. 5000 post.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Dear Sony,

Do a PS3 plus remote bundle for the Holidays,

thanks,

Mr. 5000 post.

I see what you did there... clever...

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Load times on cheap players is horrible. PS3 is still one of the fastest at loading BD discs. Most cheap players don't support full HD audio out and the picture quality is not as good either. Picture quality will still be good, but will not be the same as PS3 or a $500 player. Most will not have the ability to do BD-LIVE or upgrade firmware via Internet....if at all.

As for the HDMI cable thing. It does actually matter when talking cable quality. Timing is an issue with HDMI, as is internal cable interference. A poorly made cable will show degraded image quality and audio as well.

darendt said:
Load times on cheap players is horrible. PS3 is still one of the fastest at loading BD discs. Most cheap players don't support full HD audio out and the picture quality is not as good either. Picture quality will still be good, but will not be the same as PS3 or the Oppo Digital player. Most will not have the ability to do BD-LIVE or upgrade firmware via Internet....if at all.

As for the HDMI cable thing. It does actually matter when talking cable quality. Timing is an issue with HDMI, as is internal cable interference. A poorly made cable will show degraded image quality and audio as well.

fixed for you, normal $500 players are horrid when compared to the PS3. Its only the Oppo Digital player that is a few levels beyond the PS3 at that price.

darendt said:
Load times on cheap players is horrible. PS3 is still one of the fastest at loading BD discs. Most cheap players don't support full HD audio out and the picture quality is not as good either. Picture quality will still be good, but will not be the same as PS3 or a $500 player. Most will not have the ability to do BD-LIVE or upgrade firmware via Internet....if at all.

Tell that to my 60gig...

I think majority of the consumers are going to see $98 and not think twice.

and many more are going to read the box.

Upclose pic of box, has Dolby, Full 1080p support

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o