By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninokuni DS (Level 5 x Ghibli) Info - 4GB ROM, DQ-esque battles!!!

Soriku said:

Level 5 made Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy for PS2, Jeane D'Arc for PSP, White Knight Chronicles for PS3, and Ushiro and Cardboard Senki for PSP are coming. And they made DQ VIII for PS2 as well.

They seem to spread their love with both Nintendo and Sony recently though.

thats right level 5 has been making ht DQ games latley.

i cant believe i forgot about the dark cloud games!!!

eeek

hello how are you.

Around the Network

does anyone really think DS will get more FF remakes

think FF5 & FF6 will be remade on wii

so PSP got 2 (FF1 & FF2)

DS got 2

Wii will get 2

>>Battles seem to look very very similar to Dragon Quest turn based battles.
Didn't like that line, I was expecting more of action-adventure with Ghibli-like art-style, rather than yet another DQ-like grinding. But still, looks very promising.

The good thing about Nintendo's cartage is that, they can increase the limit over time. I think this is due to manufacturing cost.

Memory so cheap now they probably can lift the limit and raise it to 2GB.

outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:

Final Fantasy VII was 1.2 GB compressed into a digital download. That means there is no reused data and there certainly isn't 256 MB that the developer can actually use. (much like 360 games can only use a max of 6.8GB of the disc due to Nintendo software/anti-piracy software)(1)

@ Soriku

4 Gigabits is 512 MB. He's right.(2)

1. Unless the FMVs were recoded, it's still compressed MPEG-1, which can't really be compressed a lot without loads of artifacts.

2. Yeah, I don't think he understood what I wrote.

Even if they're able to cut down to half the size, it's still not small enough. I don't think the DS makes a smart choice for "remakes" of games that would be worse than their former versions. I think that the DS should get the 2D remakes and 3D remakes should be made with the PSP using the Crisis Core engine. It's purty.

EDIT: This is, of course, assuming that the FF remakes will continue to ignore the touchscreen of the DS and not hardly use it. FFIV did use the touchpad, but only for those pointless mini games.

Again, that depends on how much smaller the actimagine codec is. MPEG-1 is a monster compared to modern formats.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:

Final Fantasy VII was 1.2 GB compressed into a digital download. That means there is no reused data and there certainly isn't 256 MB that the developer can actually use. (much like 360 games can only use a max of 6.8GB of the disc due to Nintendo software/anti-piracy software)(1)

@ Soriku

4 Gigabits is 512 MB. He's right.(2)

1. Unless the FMVs were recoded, it's still compressed MPEG-1, which can't really be compressed a lot without loads of artifacts.

2. Yeah, I don't think he understood what I wrote.

Even if they're able to cut down to half the size, it's still not small enough. I don't think the DS makes a smart choice for "remakes" of games that would be worse than their former versions. I think that the DS should get the 2D remakes and 3D remakes should be made with the PSP using the Crisis Core engine. It's purty.

EDIT: This is, of course, assuming that the FF remakes will continue to ignore the touchscreen of the DS and not hardly use it. FFIV did use the touchpad, but only for those pointless mini games.

FMV's during release of FF VII had terrible compression algorithms. You can get the same quality FMV's (perhaps even better) at around 20% of the original size by just using better algorithms. Not sure though if DS can use the best algorithms because those require a lot from hardware.

@axumblade

no FF7 remake will be at PS4 launch & it'll get FF8

ten PSP 2 will get FF9 & FF10 remake

Galaki said:
The good thing about Nintendo's cartage is that, they can increase the limit over time. I think this is due to manufacturing cost.

nope flash memory at DS card size isnt cheap enough just yet for a 2GB cart.

Just did a quick seach on ebay the 2GB Micro SD cards are about $10AU, about $5-$6US, and it could be even cheaper for Ninendo, I'm guessing something like 2-3 bucks...but the problem is that if you times that by a couple of thousand cartridges, then your looking at a very expensive cost, and this just equals lost profit per game sold, I assuming that Nintendo wants it's carts to cost under $1 per art, some thing on the lines of DVD's, which is why there keeping there cart capacity low.

Also, DS games in general aren't memory hungry, 3D games have extremely low textures, and textures are what consume memory so it's a none issue on the DS, as for 2D games, again it's not to much of an issue, perhaps the Audio may be an issue assuming they want to go for MP3 instead of midi, as well as if they have FMV through out the game.

In any case, very few games actually use the 256MB carts, the majority use 64MB, which is then followed by the 128MB carts, this 512MB cart will be good for those rare games that actually require that much, but I don't see tem all of a sudden becoming common....well not just yet, unless Nintendo decide to start cranking out DSi only games.

Destroyer_of_knights said:
Galaki said:

nope flash memory at DS card size isnt cheap enough just yet for a 2GB cart.

Just did a quick seach on ebay the 2GB Micro SD cards are about $10AU, about $5-$6US, and it could be even cheaper for Ninendo, I'm guessing something like 2-3 bucks...but the problem is that if you times that by a couple of thousand cartridges, then your looking at a very expensive cost, and this just equals lost profit per game sold, I assuming that Nintendo wants it's carts to cost under $1 per art, some thing on the lines of DVD's, which is why there keeping there cart capacity low.

Also, DS games in general aren't memory hungry, 3D games have extremely low textures, and textures are what consume memory so it's a none issue on the DS, as for 2D games, again it's not to much of an issue, perhaps the Audio may be an issue assuming they want to go for MP3 instead of midi, as well as if they have FMV through out the game.

In any case, very few games actually use the 256MB carts, the majority use 64MB, which is then followed by the 128MB carts, this 512MB cart will be good for those rare games that actually require that much, but I don't see tem all of a sudden becoming common....well not just yet, unless Nintendo decide to start cranking out DSi only games.

It's mostly FMV heavy games that use more than 128MB, which the larger carts are definitely useful for.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Hmm, pictures aren't showing up for me.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.