By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

The Invasion story line was a mess but it was fun at times. The main things I didn't like was ECW wasn't treated as an equal. We didn't have the WCW stars we wanted to see and it lasted to long without any clear goals. I never understood WWE people having WCW belts. But we did learn that a "Hug used to be something special between Steve Austin and Mr. Mcmahon." or did that come soon after?
On to recent times it looks like Bret Hart wiil be part of the WWE soon. He'll probaly guest host and be one a ppv. Jeff Jarrett is back on TNA. Impact today was very good and Monday's Raw sucked. The Daniels vs. Wolfe match on Impact will probably be the best match of the week.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Around the Network

The invasion storyline stunk. Anyone from WCW and ECW became jobbers that were pummeled to death by the "superior" WWF wrestlers.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

The InVasion storyline was probably the single biggest fuckup the WWE has ever done, and that's saying something.

Instead of presenting WCW and ECW as separate entities and credible threats on their own - you know, like a proper invasion angle should do - they opened up with such terrifying acts like Lance Storm beating up Perry Saturns mop. Yeah. And not only did they manage to nullify their individuality by mashing both into a bland faction like "The Alliance", they put them straight under the McMahon siblings, turning the event wrestling fans had been waiting for years into nothing more than a pointless extension of the McMahon family feud.

Oh yeah, and no outsider wrestler was ever booked to stand up to any WWE wrestler in a straight-up match, so they had the "Alliance" taken over by Austin, turning the entire shitfest into an extension of the Rock/Austin feud on top of the McMahon one. Because hey, WWE didn't want to bring guys like Flair, Sting and Goldberg - you know, the biggest names the WCW ever had - so WCW:s aces ended up being Kidman, Stalker Ichikawa - er, DDP, and Booker T. Yay.

What should've been the biggest feud ever in terms of matches, feuds and profits ended up being arguably the biggest disappointment in wrestling.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

amp316 said:
The invasion storyline stunk. Anyone from WCW and ECW became jobbers that were pummeled to death by the "superior" WWF wrestlers.

Yeah, it was just mishandled... I mean at first they "invaded" but they only had matches vs themselves... It was more a Vince ego move then anything...

and the worst part was that all the BIG wrestlers had signed a contract with Turner Broadcasting and not WCW.  So they didn't have to come over...

or actually do anything but collect paychecks, so it went years without any of them showing up again.

The Little People Court segment on Raw was a huge WTF? So Hunter and HBK went under the ring, and it transported them into a world of little people. What?

I got the British Invasion shirt for Xmas. Its pretty cool.

Around the Network

People who hated on the "Alliance" storyline, go back and do some research. Some of WCW's big names were unwilling to work for WWE, had contractual obligations elsewhere, or were on bad terms with Vince. The WWE actually intended to give WCW its own identity and network, but nobody would touch that brand because it was a known money loser. They had to give WCW the last few minutes of Raw, instead. That meant bumping guys who (while not as big as WCW stars) were longtime WWE loyal employees from TV. It was a no win situation.

No NWO, no making WCW guys go over on WWE guys (WWE wouldn't push the newcomers) no Goldberg, no WCW TV deal. WAAAAAAY too many main eventers (RVD, Dudley Boys, Booker T, on top of WWE's established guys). I enjoyed it for what it was. A mis-handled dream come true.

d21lewis said:
People who hated on the "Alliance" storyline, go back and do some research. Some of WCW's big names were unwilling to work for WWE, had contractual obligations elsewhere, or were on bad terms with Vince. The WWE actually intended to give WCW its own identity and network, but nobody would touch that brand because it was a known money loser. They had to give WCW the last few minutes of Raw, instead. That meant bumping guys who (while not as big as WCW stars) were longtime WWE loyal employees from TV. It was a no win situation.

No NWO, no making WCW guys go over on WWE guys (WWE wouldn't push the newcomers) no Goldberg, no WCW TV deal. WAAAAAAY too many main eventers (RVD, Dudley Boys, Booker T, on top of WWE's established guys). I enjoyed it for what it was. A mis-handled dream come true.

Well yeah, why would you work for Vince when all the big WCW stars had contracts with turner and could make a bunch of money NOT beating the shit out of themselves.  Had they worked for Vince they would of lost their contracts.

It was a no win, but it was mishandled from the start by giving them raw time.  I mean... why have them wrestle each other when they could of started the "real invasion" right away.

Mirson said:
The Little People Court segment on Raw was a huge WTF? So Hunter and HBK went under the ring, and it transported them into a world of little people. What?

I got the British Invasion shirt for Xmas. Its pretty cool.

are you serious!!

dear god almighty, thats horrible

The segments these past couple of months have been horrible. Lets hope The Rock and Bret Hart's return to WWE in 2010 will shake things up.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Things won't get better until the guest hosts leave. It's very hard for them to build any continuty like this. Everything has to be explained every week even more than usual. We have people in charge we don't know, who suck and just slow down the show.
By the way the match of the week DX versus the Hart Dynasty. Not much competition since we only had WWE programing this week but still a good match.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.