By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS2 Back Compatability never Coming Back Ever

If you've been furiously mashing the refresh key on your Joystiq machine (also known as a computer), waiting for Sony to finally announce that the PS3 Slim will reintroduce PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility, we've got some sad news for you. Forget that silly patent that filled you with base, vile hope. The dream is dead.

Speaking to Ars Technica, Sony's John Koller has made it quite clear that backwards compatibility will never, ever, ever be coming back to the PS3. "It's not coming back, so let me put that on the table," said Koller, quite simply. He added that, "It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing," saying that most consumers are purchasing the console for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies.

So, to reiterate, no more backwards compatibility from now until the world moves on. And probably not after that, either.

source

man they really dont want any1 to have any doubts on weather to wait to buy a ps3

i quess that they want to make $ selling ps2 games on psn instead

hope the ps4 has ps1-ps3 B/C or ill have 2 keep my current ps3 wen it comes out

Play Me

Around the Network

I'm quite honestly surprised at Sony. I would imagine simply having all your software playable from more consoles means more software sales. Why not milk them to death? VC was quite successful you know. Otaku and geeks will eat it up with their large HDDs. Ask Nintendo.

We don't like you *mad face*, that's why we posted in the OTHER thread before it got locked

humph

Hm, I think we get it now.

Akvod said:
We don't like you *mad face*, that's why we posted in the OTHER thread before it got locked

humph

Some site had proof of a sony patent in the works for a PS2 program to play games on the PS3

what happened?

People say "Thats why I have a slim" but how many people really want more and more consoles stacking up? taking up plugs?

I have a PS3 that plays All 3 playstation systems, thats the future.. lol

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Oh this was exspected.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

That sucks. I would rather they had sacced PS1 BC for PS2 BC. Maybe then we wouldn't be where we are now. Far as im concerned we should always have at least prev gen BC. We aren't ready for PS2 games on PSN.

Looks like I wont be trading in my PS3 Phat for the PS3 Slim.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Wish more people would see this.

4 ≈ One

or Maybe when the PS2 get canceled, they'll make B/C

well guess I'm keeping my 60 GB system....