By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS3 TV ad for Europe

http://gameplanets.blogspot.com/2007/10/ps3-new-tv-ad.html

It's big, so it will probably be split up in parts for broadcasting I guess.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Nice commercial(s). It will definitely be broken up into a series of commercials. But, it is pretty good at illustrating PS3 qualities.

I want to compliment Sony on something. Nothing can be worse then the disturbing baby, or the naked chick taking a dump, or the guy bathing with a pistol. That said this add wasn't all that good, and any compliment would be a forced one. The style of the add is not all that original even. A guy bringing sketches to life has been done to death.

Further more the focus seems to be off. Too much focus on multimedia rather then the game player aspect which is what concerns this community. The music was decent for a minute until you realize it gets annoying really fast. The tempo was far too slow paced, and it only detracted from what the system is offering. Half an add in sketch is time that could have been devoted to a video montage with three or four games, movies, or someone actually using the interface.

Sony did not do as bad, but they have a long way to go to make a truly compelling pitch for the PS3. That was not about motivation it was about understanding. Which is not necessarily what Sony needs right now. People are not going to buy the product for features. They are going to buy it, because they are stoked about the games.

Much better than the Sony ads of old (by Sony i mean playstation, because the Bravia TV ads are great.)
Nice tune, some good ideas, not amazing, but considering the standard of an average TV ad i'd say it's good. (better than the Heavenly Sword ad, which i would rate average...seems they are getting better)

Better advertising is good for Sony.  But is it too little too late?

Around the Network

I dont think it can ever be too late in a consoles first year. Good ad. I think if Sony does push this thing as a magical do it all machine, it will sell more than the 360 this winter.

While gamers will whine and complain, I think sony should just block them out. Gamers are nerds, and in the end really dont matter. All sony needs is install base to get games, and the nerds will come afterwards.

They will get bashed online, sure, but as more people buy HDTV's this winter, and realize that the PS3 is the all-in-one HD media device for $400. Just a receiver costs $400 and up. A good HDTV costs $1600 and up.

If Sony goes all out with this, I think they can easily double the install base by the end of January. Gamers will be pissed, but Sony wins them back as soon as MGS4 and Killzone drops (if it lives up to the hype.)

It's better than what they used to have, but it still wasn't very explanatory. Everything made sense to us, but it would still be very cryptic to the average person. Most people don't know what a Blu-Ray disc is, and wouldn't recognize the XMB in the commercial, nor the fact that they were accessing videos, etc. from it.

The average person is going to look at this ad an be like "WTF?"

Dodece said:
I want to compliment Sony on something. Nothing can be worse then the disturbing baby, or the naked chick taking a dump, or the guy bathing with a pistol. That said this add wasn't all that good, and any compliment would be a forced one. The style of the add is not all that original even. A guy bringing sketches to life has been done to death.

Further more the focus seems to be off. Too much focus on multimedia rather then the game player aspect which is what concerns this community. The music was decent for a minute until you realize it gets annoying really fast. The tempo was far too slow paced, and it only detracted from what the system is offering. Half an add in sketch is time that could have been devoted to a video montage with three or four games, movies, or someone actually using the interface.

Sony did not do as bad, but they have a long way to go to make a truly compelling pitch for the PS3. That was not about motivation it was about understanding. Which is not necessarily what Sony needs right now. People are not going to buy the product for features. They are going to buy it, because they are stoked about the games.

I liked the woman on the toilent... and the guy in the bath-tub, and the grenade... even though I dont know why... and it sure as hell didnt make me want a PS3...  I just liked the comercials.

(the one with the girl with the cups, was F*erin, amazing) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

makingmusic476 said:
It's better than what they used to have, but it still wasn't very explanatory. Everything made sense to us, but it would still be very cryptic to the average person. Most people don't know what a Blu-Ray disc is, and wouldn't recognize the XMB in the commercial, nor the fact that they were accessing videos, etc. from it.

The average person is going to look at this ad an be like "WTF?"

That's what I felt when watching the video... Part of me was thinking "oh, I know what this is", and another part was thinking "most people wouldn't know what this is".

For example, I'm not sure that most people understand the Sixaxis is motion sensitive in the part with Warhawk...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

A better ad, not amazing. But still very good.

btw, Kwaad how was that trucking job or whatever took you away from the forums for so long?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.