By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii HAD to take the bullet, for all our sakes.

Ever since the Wii launched, gamers and journalists have been scratching their heads and shaking their fists because of the direction Nintendo took graphically with the Wii.

However, what the company in Kyoto did, had to be done for our sake. Making games is an expensive endeavor, and the recent closure of Grin Software exhibits that truth to a severe degree. Wii games still cost millions to make, but not on the scale of how much it would cost if the Wii competed on par with its 'HD' counterparts. Nintendo only had one direction to this generation, and that was up, but not into the 'HD' atmosphere.

I hope people realize that developers and publishers alike needed some type of 'haven' of sorts where game development wouldn't be so taxing financially. It wasn't like to differentiate itself, Nintendo could go above the PS3 graphically. Despite what people may think, the gaming industry was shrinking, and Nintendo’s current form of expansion was what it needed to flourish. Hate ‘casual’ gamers all you want, but we all were rookies one time (except for me, I was playing Super Contra at 2 years old).

Supposedly, the Wii’s hardware doesn’t allow creativity to flourish. On the contrary, developers can try more risks on the Wii than on any other home console. Limitation makes no sense when people can make handheld games, and with newfound DLC and SD Card support, more can be done on the Wii than ever before.

……………I had a lot more in my head, but I unfortunately lost my expensive and well-educated Train of Thought. So now I’ll just respond to what you guys post lol.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

So the Wii had to be underpowered and have the waggle gimmick? Fuck that shit, i want an HD Zelda now.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

I'm just glad to see Nintendo back where they should be.

I agree that an alternative 'playground' for developing games is good. But unfortunately, sales for 3rd party developers on the Wii aren't all that peachy.

BTW, thanks for cutting the legs out from under me in your double post of this thread :P

For those above who may have missed the point, the point is that the Wii has a lower barrier to entry and (relatively) lower costs.

That makes it easier for smaller players/developers -- especially when compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I see the point your trying to make here... and i agree somewhat...

But if Wii was HD, i along with its free online and wifi... guess what? i would like the Wii more then the 360.

I mean... HD kirby? come on...

At anyrate they choose there path, and they are getting the spoils of it for sure, but there also getting the negative side-effects as well.

Yeah, but it keeps gaming tethered to old technology. TV and all other electronic media is heading into the land of better and more complex pictures what happens when the gulf between where other electronic media that is hd like films, tv programming, etc. grows even more beyond what is capable with gaming machines like Wii. Sompe people say Wii doesn't work that well with the hd tvs they already have.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
I see the point your trying to make here... and i agree somewhat...

But if Wii was HD, i along with its free online and wifi... guess what? i would like the Wii more then the 360.

I mean... HD kirby? come on...

At anyrate they choose there path, and they are getting the spoils of it for sure, but there also getting the negative side-effects as well.

I would gladly take 480p Kirby...

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

I prefer a console that uses more creativity than high end graphics. Before the Wii was released manufactures were only focused on making the next generation of consoles more powerful. Now Microsoft and Sony are following in Nintendo's footsteps to make more creative systems by copying Nintendo. (A little ironic, but it will lead to a great 8th generation of consoles.) The Wii shows gamers are more interested in new gaming technology and not just better graphics. I think the Wii will have a positive influence on future consoles. By taking a graphical hit, Nintendo proved graphics are not everything in gaming.

MidnightRider85 said:
Yeah, but it keeps gaming tethered to old technology. TV and all other electronic media is heading into the land of better and more complex pictures what happens when the gulf between where other electronic media that is hd like films, tv programming, etc. grows even more beyond what is capable with gaming machines like Wii. Sompe people say Wii doesn't work that well with the hd tvs they already have.

First of all, for it's time the wii was pretty advanced when it first came out. It's not exactly "old technology," just not the technology that you're considering.

Secondly, gaming isn't a technology business, it's an entertainment business and the Wii is certainly doing a good job of entertaining people.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."