By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - HD dvd claims lead in player sales

Borkachev said:
No surprises here. What fool would buy a standalone BluRay player when the PS3 costs the same amount or less?

so when did the ps3 get a pricdrp down to 250? hhmm it didnt i saw several BR players in sears for 250-300 respectivly but still wasnt selling. its cause people are still changing over their vhs tapes to dvd's and will not be bothered by starting all over again to do the same with hi def dvd movies no matter if its hd dvd or BR.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
It is as NIntendo fans say, whatever moves the most software wins.

BluRay movie sales are bounds above HD-DVD. Standalone HD-DVD is the dead horse that Toshiba been beating for months. They don't count PS3s.

actualy toshiba also makes a BR player and is selling it for 300 i do believe at sears.

i think normal dvd's will win the war. besides guys and gals here buying them no one i know of or even heard of is buying them cause they are still like i said in my first post on here is still cjanging over from vhs to dvd and doesnt want to start over by going to a high def format. these hi def formats remind me of ye old laserdiscs. expensive players and movies killed that fformat and this is already showing signs of the same thing. and let me remind u laser discs were released about 5 -10 years after vhs came out. anyone see what im getting at? 

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Well Blu-ray didn't avoid using VC-1 because of MS, in fact many of Bluray's early releases used that same codec, its a good codec for getting most with the least ammount of space, its great for compression, but it is in FACT a worse transfer then BOTH MPEG 2 and 4, I believe the early release of 5th element was encoded via VC-1 then later encoded MPEG-4 at to a much better extent. Sometimes VC-1 is Great, sometimes... not so much.

Hot fuzz was a badass movie :D and definately a good realease on HD-DVD, but the review that I've read stated that the city scape in london appeared washed out, yet the outsides where described as "vibrant" and nowhere in the movie did it reach a higher bitrate than anything put out on Blu-ray, ALSO the track released was 5.1 onry, so the features and film were nice, but the disk still doesnt utilize 7.1 NOT to say the disk is bad by any means, in fact it's been hailed as one of the best high def disks available, its just that the consistancy in movies on HD-DVD isnt always as good, in fact there's been numerous times where a movie released on both formats gets better ratings for sound alone on Bluray.

Oh and as for Kingdom of heaven, the supposed total disk space used was 42gigabytes! Not only is that a bunch for a movie with NO EXTRAS (wtf) but it wasn't the disk capacity, and it COULDENT be transfered to HD-DVD at that size.

Now as far as the arguement with hardware reading BD-J, from what I understand theres ONE player that couldent update that via firmware, the original Samsung, which is funny because samsung isn't even affiliated with Bluray as far as I know and if ANY of TOSHIBA'S players wouldent be compatible with TOSHIBA'S format, well I dunno >_> I think it would make me giggle... That and if you've heard about them producing the tripple layer? Hell none of theyre current players will read the darn things :D Firmware can't fix what your hardware lacks.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Actually, every single one of the first batch of Blu-ray releases used MPEG2 encoding, which is inferior to both VC-1 and AVC/MPEG4. Additionally, VC-1 is widely regarded as superior for high bitrate encoding, which is exactly what is involved with high-definition movies. Regardless, with such movies as the extended LotR films and so on, neither format would be able to properly fit them on a single disc with the current layer count. That could of course improve for both types of disc, so all this debate may end up being moot anyway...

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Also, the Fifth Element was never encoded with VC-1. MPEG2, as stated above.

Hates Nomura.

Around the Network

o.O as far as I know almost all the releases back when Bluray was only single layer vere VC-1, I'll go look back through some of my stuff but I could have sworn ^^ at least the company's that released on both. But yeah I agree the points will be beaten to death o.O

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with you arguing in favor of Blu-ray, if that is your preference. I have players for both formats myself (through consoles, of course). I would just prefer it if you got your facts straight before posting so that others who have yet to decide on a format and are looking for information may be properly informed.

Very few Blu-ray releases have utilized the VC-1 codec. Virtually all of the early releases were MPEG2, and virtually all of the current releases are AVC/MPEG4. Usually the only time you'll find VC-1 encodes is when a company is releasing onto Blu-ray a movie they had previously released on HD-DVD.

Hates Nomura.

steverhcp02 said:
Yeap http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6488493.html?industryid=47213

53:44:3 Now

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6488493.html?industryid=47213

55:42:3 a month ago

HD DVD SAL's have ALWAYS outsold BD SAL's, just look at the price for goodness sakes.....so what does that say for software when the SAL's (stand alone players) are outselling BD's yet software is in heavy favor of BD?

It means that the influx of more PS3's due to the 40gb and xmas will effect this war more than Toshiba wants to admit. And it also means that the HD DVD pricepoint of more than $200 cheaper will soon evaporate, so if they cant gain more than a 53:44:3 ratio, what will happen when the BD SAL's naturally come down in price and all of those 4th quarter blockbusters hit....tranfsormers, shrek and bourne vs simpsons, spiderman, die hard, pirates, superbad, rush hour combined with the ps3? Please.

And now from April HD DVD claimed a 4:1 advantage in SAL's. which would be 80:20 ratio for those who want to compare to current ratios's. http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_DVD_Still_Very_Much_in_the_Game/1177544785

So now Toshiba likes to say they are "still dominating" in this most recent press release? Okay if going from 80:20 down to 53:44:3 is considered dominating then yes, Toshiba, keep up the good work.

And by the same token, is it a disaster for Blu Ray that they are leading in software sales by LESS now than several months ago?

In other words, Blu Ray software is selling WORSE related to HDDVD than six months ago? Yet we keep hearing how Blu Ray is dominating?

This war is far from over, and neither side is going away despite what Blu Ray supporters would wish. I think HDDVD has one more storm to weather, the 399 PS3 sales surge. After that, it should be pretty much smooth sailing for HDDVD, and they should steadily gain from then on.

If it wasn't for PS3..blu ray would never have a chance..look at it that way. The consumers have spoken.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3457/marketsharenielsen09300tv1.jpg

Hmm..do you notice last week was much higher for HDDVD than year to date or life to date? HDDVD is gaining.

sharky said:
steverhcp02 said:
Yeap http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6488493.html?industryid=47213

53:44:3 Now

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6488493.html?industryid=47213

55:42:3 a month ago

HD DVD SAL's have ALWAYS outsold BD SAL's, just look at the price for goodness sakes.....so what does that say for software when the SAL's (stand alone players) are outselling BD's yet software is in heavy favor of BD?

It means that the influx of more PS3's due to the 40gb and xmas will effect this war more than Toshiba wants to admit. And it also means that the HD DVD pricepoint of more than $200 cheaper will soon evaporate, so if they cant gain more than a 53:44:3 ratio, what will happen when the BD SAL's naturally come down in price and all of those 4th quarter blockbusters hit....tranfsormers, shrek and bourne vs simpsons, spiderman, die hard, pirates, superbad, rush hour combined with the ps3? Please.

And now from April HD DVD claimed a 4:1 advantage in SAL's. which would be 80:20 ratio for those who want to compare to current ratios's. http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_DVD_Still_Very_Much_in_the_Game/1177544785

So now Toshiba likes to say they are "still dominating" in this most recent press release? Okay if going from 80:20 down to 53:44:3 is considered dominating then yes, Toshiba, keep up the good work.

And by the same token, is it a disaster for Blu Ray that they are leading in software sales by LESS now than several months ago?

In other words, Blu Ray software is selling WORSE related to HDDVD than six months ago? Yet we keep hearing how Blu Ray is dominating?

This war is far from over, and neither side is going away despite what Blu Ray supporters would wish. I think HDDVD has one more storm to weather, the 399 PS3 sales surge. After that, it should be pretty much smooth sailing for HDDVD, and they should steadily gain from then on.

If it wasn't for PS3..blu ray would never have a chance..look at it that way. The consumers have spoken.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3457/marketsharenielsen09300tv1.jpg

Hmm..do you notice last week was much higher for HDDVD than year to date or life to date? HDDVD is gaining.

The Week ending 9/30 was just a fluke. Look at the week ending 10/07/07:

That throws your entire argument out the window. HD DVD is stuck in a sales slump, and they're standalone sales are dwindling compared to Blu-Ray's, as shown in the OP. Transformers should give them a good spike in software sales, but after that, the 40gb ps3, as well as the Blu-Ray marketing blitz this holiday should finish HD DVD off.

So BR has 68% of North America market ,81% in Europe and 91% in Japan .Toshiba can spend all the millions it want to get some temporal exclusives as Transformers ,but they nearly have a corpse in the hands right now ....