By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why does USA have "In god we trust" on it's money?

Square07 said:

"in god we trust" is also the national motto along with "e pluribus unum" also on our currency.

As stated before, In God We Trust originated in the 1860's and didnt become a national motto until the 1950's.  E PLURIBUS UNUM is America's original national motto, and in my opinion should be our only motto.

Around the Network

The answer is in Angels and Demons and it does have something to do with the masons I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

@Montana. Jesus is considered part of the holy trinity, one of the three forms of the single God. The father the son and the holy spirit are all considered to be 'God' in mainstream Christianity. The belief that Jesus is the son of God is the only major part of the Christian religion that Muslims aren't willing to accept, they actually believe that he is a major prophet.

Also the money isn't the real worry, its the pledge of allegiance. As an atheist I would be thoroughly annoyed at being told that I have to pledge allegiance to a God I don't believe in when some daft bugger added it in a mere 70 odd years ago by mis-representing a political speech.

@ManusJustus
There is a fundamental mistake on your view of Christianity. God is not restrained by human breeding rules.
That's Greek mythology where the son of 2 gods make a god and a son of a God and a human is a half god, it does not apply in Christianity.

Think about it for a second, the Christian God is just one God you can't expect him to have kids through that method.
Understand that just because he is the "Son of god" doesn't necessarily mean that he is a God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Idk it seems we don't really know the truth for sure, words have been changed and interpretations have been
interpreted so we can't be for sure. I guess it also depends on what your definition of "God" is. The teachings of
Christianity is basically that there is only one God, "The God". And depending on your views on the Trinity and
all that you can make your own opinion about Jesus/God and the deity and all that..

Elaborating:

You can take Jesus' words at his crucifixion "Why have you forsaken me Father" and believe that there is only one God,

so therefore Jesus is not a God, just a spiritual Messiah and Savior sent by God.

Around the Network

@Montana:

Uh

In the belief in the Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are all aspects of God. Jesus is God Incarnate, which makes him God by definition. That's what "incarnate" means. You can't say that being "God Incarnate" doesn't make him God, because... it does.

The idea is that the Trinity are all aspects of God.

AdventWolf said:

Idk it seems we don't really know the truth for sure, words have been changed and interpretations have been
interpreted so we can't be for sure. I guess it also depends on what your definition of "God" is. The teachings of
Christianity is basically that there is only one God, "The God". And depending on your views on the Trinity and
all that you can make your own opinion about Jesus/God and the deity and all that..

Elaborating:

You can take Jesus' words at his crucifixion "Why have you forsaken me Father" and believe that there is only one God,

so therefore Jesus is not a God, just a spiritual Messiah and Savior sent by God.

Wrong.

You must read the rest of the gospels to get a good picture of Jesus, and his relationship to God.

John 10:30 'I and my father are one' is kind of a strong statement at the oneness of God.

As for Matthew 27:46, concerning God forsaking Jesus - there's a very common theology represented in the statement. Essentually, God forsook the natural body and person of Jesus Christ, so that he could, as a perfect person, redeem the world of it's sins. In doing such, he provided redemption for mankind. It's called propitiation - turning away wrath via sacrifice.

If your really wanting the true words, you could always study greek or hebrew. Or visit a museum that has original texts from when they were written. The Bible is based off of handwritten accounts that have been dated back to their time of supposed origin. If you want to argue they've been twisted, then you must argue that there's absolutely no validity in the Bible whatsoever, because we do have the actual writings.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

^Don't take it seriously, I was just giving an example of what one of the many interpretations there are.
Also I know the original Hebrew text is the most accurate because of all the translations and all that. I
was just speaking hypothetically.
And yeah words have been skewed and I said it's possible that we may not even know the truth.

Simple: because certain people were of a certain mind at a certain time and decided it made sense based on their own, and other, opinions and they were in a position to execute their decision.

Personally I prefer the original motto for the US, at least if it's what I think it was - Out of many, one.

But then I'm not religious so I would do, wouldn't I?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

MontanaHatchet said:
Because there's no good reason to change it (besides a couple of Atheists being offended), and there are hundreds of millions of Christians in the U.S. who would be opposed to it. Plus, all of our presidents have been some denomination of Christian.

Separation of church and state has to do with religious values not affecting government decisions. This was how the value was originally meant to be. It didn't mean that government should be devoid of all religion. And again, why change it? The U.S. also believes strongly in democracy, and the majority wouldn't want it.

he isn't saying to change it he is saying why it said that