By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why does USA have "In god we trust" on it's money?

MontanaHatchet said:
ManusJustus said:
im_sneaky said:
Because most ppl are christian in the united states, and the presidents have been christian, and so the presidents have taken very christian actions to put god on your money.

Not all the presidents have been Christian.  The last non-Christian I can think of was McKinley, a Unitarian, and before that most were Naturalists and critical of Christianity, Lincoln and Jefferson, for example.

In God We Trust is on money because religion is a very easy way to get support from people.  Offering something to people after you die is a lot cheaper than offering them something while they are still alive.  As long as people are guliable enough to believe these people, it will be very easy for people seeking power to use religion.

Lol wut?

The presidents have all been members of religions incredibly similar to Christianity (Unitarianism holds many Christian values). Plus, the one I find strangest is Eisenhower being between 3 different religions.

And the last part is some propaganda bullshit that I won't even bother with.

My bad, Howard Taft.  To be honest, I get many of the unimportant presidents confused.

As I said, many of the early American leaders were very critical of Christiniaty.  Benjamim Franklin said, "Lighthouses are more useful than churches."  And other famous names were just as critical.

The last part is true, and you are unable to argue against it.  For people seeking power, it is a lot easier to tell someone that they will be rewarded when they die than it is to reward them while they are alive.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
MontanaHatchet said:
ManusJustus said:
im_sneaky said:
Because most ppl are christian in the united states, and the presidents have been christian, and so the presidents have taken very christian actions to put god on your money.

Not all the presidents have been Christian.  The last non-Christian I can think of was McKinley, a Unitarian, and before that most were Naturalists and critical of Christianity, Lincoln and Jefferson, for example.

In God We Trust is on money because religion is a very easy way to get support from people.  Offering something to people after you die is a lot cheaper than offering them something while they are still alive.  As long as people are guliable enough to believe these people, it will be very easy for people seeking power to use religion.

Lol wut?

The presidents have all been members of religions incredibly similar to Christianity (Unitarianism holds many Christian values). Plus, the one I find strangest is Eisenhower being between 3 different religions.

And the last part is some propaganda bullshit that I won't even bother with.

My bad, Howard Taft.  To be honest, I get many of the unimportant presidents confused.

As I said, many of the early American leaders were very critical of Christiniaty.  Benjamim Franklin said, "Lighthouses are more useful than churches."  And other famous names were just as critical.

The last part is true, and you are unable to argue against it.  For people seeking power, it is a lot easier to tell someone that they will be rewarded when they die than it is to reward them while they are alive.

Taft was a Christian Unitarian.

It's different then what a Unitarian is now.

Becouse it was put there before everything was turned upside down by idiotic politicall correctness and wrongly understood tolerance.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Kasz216 said:

Still, if someone today said they were Unitarian Christian (or admitted to having those views), it would be political suicide in a presidential election.

I like to think that America use to be more tolerant and rational in the past, but I could be wrong and its just that things that past president's believed or said about Christianity wasn't as easily accesiable to the general population as they are today with television, radio, and the internet.

ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:

Still, if someone today said they were Unitarian Christian (or admitted to having those views), it would be political suicide in a presidential election.

I like to think that America use to be more tolerant and rational in the past, but I could be wrong and its just that things that past president's believed or said about Christianity wasn't as easily accesiable to the general population as they are today with television, radio, and the internet.

Unitarian christian has like nothing to do with unitarians though.

Unitarian christian is basically protesetant.  It's "I'm a christian but i believe that God suprasses the son and holy ghost in importance."

Which is... probably what most christians believe now despite all the trinity stuff.

A few presidents were Unitarian Christian i believe.

Additionally everyone tried to "rationalize" presidents christainity.  George Washington was seen as a christian because his wife was, even though he VERY rarely went to church and was known as a diest etc.

This was the same for most Deist presidents.

Also there was a big rise in christianity after the Civil War... and also after the Anti-mason movement. 

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Unitarian christian is basically protesetant.  It's "I'm a christian but i believe that God suprasses the son and holy ghost in importance."

Which is... probably what most christians believe now despite all the trinity stuff.

Unitarian Christians believe in strict monotheism, where God as the only diety and Jesus is a prophet or great person but not a god.  Most Christians would disagree with Jesus not being a god.

dsister44 said:
Don't worry. it will be off before Obama is out of office.

You made me laugh!

ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:

Unitarian Christians believe in strict monotheism, where God as the only diety and Jesus is a prophet or great person but not a god.  Most Christians would disagree with Jesus not being a god.

I actually disagree.

I think most people despite what their religion says believes jesus is subordanite to god.

Erm, what? ManusJustus, do you understand what Monotheism means? One god. No, not two. One. No Christian thinks Jesus is a god.

MontanaHatchet said:
Erm, what? ManusJustus, do you understand what Monotheism means? One god. No, not two. One. No Christian thinks Jesus is a god.

Erm, What?