By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Slim will be out on 09/01 in Europe

I can't wait for the official announcement. If we don't get it 'soon' vgchartz might explode! No website can sustain this amount of hype.

Around the Network
welshbloke said:
9th of January or the 1st of September you gotta love those quaint dating systems.

OK so the 1st of September and a quick conversion to Pounds Sterling puts that at £257 ish which compares against current cost of £299. So a saving, now we need to know if anything is missing.

Oh and of course we need to wait for some stock not just a line entry on a screen.

I really hope the UK price is a bit cheaper than that, if in fact the new PS3 Slim is coming in at a cheaper price to the phat model.

Currently I can buy a 80Gb model with Terminator Salvation, Infamous & Terminator: Rise of the Machines on BR for £279.99, so I would expect any pricecut to reduce this package significantly, not just by £20.

I reckon either the PS3 Slim or PS3 Phat needs to be reduced from the £299.99 RRP (even though most retailers have been knocking £20+ off the price and selling it with free BRs and games) to £239.99 RRP approx (with retailers reducing it further to nearly £199.99)

If it's done right, we should see retailers selling the PS3 for £199.99 and maybe adding a deal that allows people to buy 2 games from a selection for £20 or even any chart game on top of buying the PS3 for £10.

They need to make it worthwhile and the only way to do it right in the UK is to get it as close to £199.99 for retailers so they can sell it for £199.99 in time for Xmas...then you will see sales.

On top of this, they should introduce a deal for platinum games as well with a 3 for £20 to get people buying games again.

One thing that I have noticed is that games are retaining their value months after release when last year from October through to December, most of the new games from September onwards were reduced at some stage from £44.99/£49.99 RRP to £17.99 with Play, thats how I managed to pick up The Force Unleashed, Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia among others.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Squall_Leonhart said:
Cypher1980 said:
Does anyone know why America has a reversed date system.

I did a check and welshbloke appears to be right. Nearly every other country uses chronology to place the date fields in order. Short to Long DD-MM-YYYY

The states appear to have reversed the Days and Months.

Is there a reason or is it just an historical anomaly.

I think it is because they like to be special and think that they did something themselves... even though MM-DD-YYYY makes no sense whatsoever! Surely smallest to largest makes sense...

lol my thoughts exactly.

No explanation on Wikipedia but the States at least have Belize and the islands of Micronesia using the crazy date format with them.

It's a Tuesday

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:

I did a check and welshbloke appears to be right. Nearly every other country uses chronology to place the date fields in order. Short to Long DD-MM-YYYY

I think it because when they say a date it's like "March 17" when others would say "the 17th of March". For them, the month is first.

Squall_Leonhart said:
Cypher1980 said:

I think it is because they like to be special and think that they did something themselves... even though MM-DD-YYYY makes no sense whatsoever! Surely smallest to largest makes sense...

Just like Fahrenheit which is also pretty confusing, 1/180 of the interval between the freezing and boiling point of water. lol

Only 3 weeks away

The question is, is that RRP or their buy price?
Also is it the street release date, or when they can place their orders?

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Cypher1980 said:

I think you answered your own question it is obvious Americans like everything to be big so they started with the biggest number first. Of course unless your paying for something then you like the numbers to be small.

Of course you broke the other rule we adopted back in 1751 and drove on the wrong side of the road as well, you crazy Yanks. What is ironic is you bought the bridge that the rule was invented for.

Back on topic.

I did another scoot round when somebody posted the PS3 was available for £279 in the form of the terminator bundle and he was right. I foolishly looked at the standard PS3 which still costs £299. It will be interesting though what they do with regards to sterling because we are already effectively cheaper when compared to Europe.

Crazy world.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
welshbloke said:

I did another scoot round when somebody posted the PS3 was available for £279 in the form of the terminator bundle and he was right. I foolishly looked at the standard PS3 which still costs £299. It will be interesting though what they do with regards to sterling because we are already effectively cheaper when compared to Europe.

Crazy world.

Also last week, you could pick up the 40Gb PS3 for £199 in various shops and Play had the 60Gb BC model for £215...but they are now both gone, must have sold out....but it just seemed as if retailers have been told that something is coming and they are clearing the ranks.

But I will stick with my feelings that in the UK at least, we need to see as near to a £199.99 PS3 this year, even if it's got no games or BR with it.  This is the pricepoint that WILL make a difference especially at Xmas.

And I will stick with my original thoughts that the Slim will be introduced at a higher pricepoint than the 80Gb model at the moment.  The sensible thing to do is to significantly reduce the current model to get rid of stock and bring in a cheaper Slim model.

So in the UK, I think we will see something like this:

• New 120Gb/160Gb PS3 Slim released on 1st September (or thereabouts) with a RRP of £279.99 packaged with game(s) and BR(s), although retailers selling it for £249.99
  • Old 80Gb PS3 Phat reduced to £229.99 (or thereabouts) with nothing free, although retailers selling it for anything down to £199.99

By doing this, Sony will get rid of the current models which are losing money and will be able to sell the new cheaper Slim models for a healthy profit and once the 80Gb's are out of stock, which could take a good 6 months anyway, then we will see the PS3 Slim being reduced to £229.99 (or thereabouts).

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)