By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why can't the media call it like they see it?

HappySqurriel said:

The value of the stock market is not representitive of the state of the economy good or bad, and movement within the markets in the short to medium term are much more related to emotional speculation than the fundimentals of the economy.

The spin that "Unemployment is the last thing to improve" so any signs of stabilization of unemployment are automatically a sign that things are getting better is 100% bullshit. When you're facing a longer term and deeper economic slowdown there are always plateaus and local mamimums in most economic indicators before something changes (for the worse) and then the indicators all become negative for awhile again. The reason for this is simple, and is (basically) the same reason why people claim unemployment is the last thing to improve ... no one knows what the economy will look like a year from now, and most companies and individuals are likely going to maintain their spending level at their new adjusted level until they see a sign that the recession is truely behind them unless they need to change it. Companies tend to only increase their workforce after they have seen dramatic improvement in their bottom line.

Generally speaking, the massive consumer orgy that drive the American economy is not going to recover until people have access to the extremely moronic levels of credit that were available prior to the beginning of the recession and consumer confidence returns. Right now consumer confidence does not show signs of returning to its previous high levels, and as long as more and more mortgages are underwater it is unlikely that consumers will have access to the credit levels they used to.

In other words ...

The recession is not over, we could easily be in the eye of the storm and after people evaluate the back-to-school shopping season and adjust expectations for the holiday shopping season we could see reduced orders from companies, higher unemployment, and lower profits for companies.

That's all well and good, but everything you are saying is way too speculative.  Lets make some predictions.  You tell me where you think GDP growth will be in Q3 and Q4 and where unemployment will be at the end Q3 and Q4.  You act like you know a lot about this stuff, so I am going to put you to some hard numbers that you can't wiggle your way out of to test how valid your predictions and methodology really are.  I'm more than willing to make predictions that you can hold me to.

My predictions:

Q3:

GDP Growth: 3%

Unemployment: Will not go above 10%, will settle around 9-9.2%, maybe lower.

Q4:

GDP Growth: 5%

Unemployment: Will drop down to around 8.5%.  I would be surprised if it went below 8%.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
CrazyHorse said:

Really? I don't claim to be an economics expert but I would argue that governemnt hasn't been involved enough over the last few decades. Unregulated banks have been able to gamble with our money in the pursuit of continued high profits resulting in the issue of loans to people who were clearly unable to pay back their debt. This created vast amounts of toxic loans which the taxpayers (in the UK at least) have now had to buy off them. If stricter regulations were in place then maybe we wouldn't be having this debate now. I'm all for a largely free market but I do feel that certain laws should be in place to prevent unregulated greed and risk taking (especially as it us who pays the price). Without any regulations I fear boom and bust economics will forever be associated with capitalism.

If you don't like how a bank operates, take your money to a different one.

Perhaps the problem here is not what the banks are doing, but the average person's knowledge of what they're doing.

Words of Wisdom litterally speaks the words of wisdom in this case :).

You shouldn't be blaming only banks, you should also be blaming milions of idiots who took loans they wouldn't be able to pay back thinking it will all be cool becouse house prices are going to rise.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
CrazyHorse said:

Really? I don't claim to be an economics expert but I would argue that governemnt hasn't been involved enough over the last few decades. Unregulated banks have been able to gamble with our money in the pursuit of continued high profits resulting in the issue of loans to people who were clearly unable to pay back their debt. This created vast amounts of toxic loans which the taxpayers (in the UK at least) have now had to buy off them. If stricter regulations were in place then maybe we wouldn't be having this debate now. I'm all for a largely free market but I do feel that certain laws should be in place to prevent unregulated greed and risk taking (especially as it us who pays the price). Without any regulations I fear boom and bust economics will forever be associated with capitalism.

If you don't like how a bank operates, take your money to a different one.

Perhaps the problem here is not what the banks are doing, but the average person's knowledge of what they're doing.

Words of Wisdom litterally speaks the words of wisdom in this case :).

You shouldn't be blaming only banks, you should also be blaming milions of idiots who took loans they wouldn't be able to pay back thinking it will all be cool becouse house prices are going to rise.

If you read my other two posts made after that, I addressed both those points.

akuma587 said:
HappySqurriel said:

The value of the stock market is not representitive of the state of the economy good or bad, and movement within the markets in the short to medium term are much more related to emotional speculation than the fundimentals of the economy.

The spin that "Unemployment is the last thing to improve" so any signs of stabilization of unemployment are automatically a sign that things are getting better is 100% bullshit. When you're facing a longer term and deeper economic slowdown there are always plateaus and local mamimums in most economic indicators before something changes (for the worse) and then the indicators all become negative for awhile again. The reason for this is simple, and is (basically) the same reason why people claim unemployment is the last thing to improve ... no one knows what the economy will look like a year from now, and most companies and individuals are likely going to maintain their spending level at their new adjusted level until they see a sign that the recession is truely behind them unless they need to change it. Companies tend to only increase their workforce after they have seen dramatic improvement in their bottom line.

Generally speaking, the massive consumer orgy that drive the American economy is not going to recover until people have access to the extremely moronic levels of credit that were available prior to the beginning of the recession and consumer confidence returns. Right now consumer confidence does not show signs of returning to its previous high levels, and as long as more and more mortgages are underwater it is unlikely that consumers will have access to the credit levels they used to.

In other words ...

The recession is not over, we could easily be in the eye of the storm and after people evaluate the back-to-school shopping season and adjust expectations for the holiday shopping season we could see reduced orders from companies, higher unemployment, and lower profits for companies.

That's all well and good, but everything you are saying is way too speculative.  Lets make some predictions.  You tell me where you think GDP growth will be in Q3 and Q4 and where unemployment will be at the end Q3 and Q4.  You act like you know a lot about this stuff, so I am going to put you to some hard numbers that you can't wiggle your way out of to test how valid your predictions and methodology really are.  I'm more than willing to make predictions that you can hold me to.

My predictions:

Q3:

GDP Growth: 3%

Unemployment: Will not go above 10%, will settle around 9-9.2%, maybe lower.

Q4:

GDP Growth: 5%

Unemployment: Will drop down to around 8.5%.  I would be surprised if it went below 8%.

I know enough about economics to know that there is far more to making a prediction than pulling numbers out of your ass, so I don't expect my numbers to be amazingly accurate ...

Now being that GDP shrank at an annualized rate of 1% in July, and same store sales indicate that the back-to-school shopping season will be much more modest this year, I would expect the decline in GDP to be at an annualized rate between 0.75% to 1.25%. On top of that, for the past couple of months the number of people who have been giving up looking for employment because the job market is so bad has been (roughly) equal to or greater than the number of people who lost their job, and I don't see any reason why this will change dramatically in either direction, so I expect unemployment to be between 9% and 10%.

Back to school sales are heavily used by the retail industry to predict how the holiday shopping season will go, and with sales down between 5% and 10% I expect their orders from suppliers and the number of part-time/temporary staff hired will be down from last year; which will work its way up the food chain to suppliers, manufacturers, and so on who feel the pinch. On top of this, I suspect that the year end clearance sales for automobiles will be awful this year because many of the people who would be lured to these sales because of the deals just bought their cars earlier (due to the cash for clunkers program). With this all taken into account I would expect GDP to decline at an annualized rate between 2% and 3%, and for unemployment to inch up to be between 9.25% and 10.25%.

All this obsession with predicting one or two short term data points makes no sense. There are all kinds of fluctuations which can affect GDP and unemployment one or two quarters forward. The best example is of course inventory slumps after a period of low production, which can immediately cause a boost in production to a much bigger level... of course, that level of growth is a one time thing, not to be continued in the next quarter.

What really matters are the fundamentals behind the economy. In the case of the US, economic growth has been driven by the expansion of credit. This crazy expansion of credit is not ongoing any longer (except by the government), consumers are (slowly) paying down their debt or defaulting on it. How this leads to anything but an economic slump, I really can't see.

Some food for thought:

http://finance.yahoo.com/retirement/article/107500/debt-burden-to-weigh-on-stocks;_ylt=AiDI1r5WyB0BvOBxh7f9kjm7YWsA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1cnZvbWhhBHBvcwM2BHNlYwN0b3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawNkZWJ0YnVyZGVudG8-?mod=retire-401k&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

While I agree with you guys that focusing on short term data too much is a bad idea, one of the whole reasons why people come up with theories is to make predictions for the future. Think of it like a scientific model. All the theories in the world are great, but not worth very much unless they are actually useful and actually predict future behavior.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 that's why my predictions are for a decline or a flattish economy in the foreseeable future. An improvement in one or two quarters isn't really important if the economy gets worse immediately or stays flat.

It's all about whether there will be a sustained recovery or not... I don't think there will be one soon.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I'm (generally) not a fan of specific short term predictions because there are countless factors which can make "large" differences in the outcome; and I tend to favour talking about the underlying factors which will impact the economy for the next couple of years. One thing that does bother me about most mid term predictions for the economy is how everyone makes the assumption that it will either collapse or recover at a very rapid pace; and I believe one possible outcome is what I would describe as a "Zombie" economy ...

Essentially, when the fundimentals of the economy have not been corrected and most of the effort is focused on the symptoms it is possible for the economy to continue to fall at a steady pace for a long period of time followed by a very slow recovery to previous levels. Imagine an outcome where the economy falls at (roughly) 1% to 2% per year for the next 2 or 3 years, and then recovers with GDP growth of 0% to 2% for 5 or more years.