By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kotaku asked about the BC and got a reply

@NJ5
Suppose you're right , I've seen way worse 

Around the Network

It depends on what you define as a value, routsounmanman.

I'm only speaking for myself here obviously. ;)

(+ is good, = is meh, - is bad) :p
+ Great Backwards compatibility
+ Play games with non-gamers (I have lots of family who aren't gamers, so the ability to play a few games with them is a big thing for me)
+ Affordable games, hardware, and accessories (my entertainment budget is small, and has to cover all of my needs)
= Media Center capability
= Online Functionality (I can't get real broadband, downloading a few small games on the Wii's virtual console is about my limit, gotta love satellite internet) :-/
= Blu-Ray functionality (I have no plans to switch off of DVD's anytime soon)
= HD Displays (my 27" SDTV works just fine, and will hopefully continue to do so for many years)
- Unreliable Hardware (I'm not looking forward to replacing my 2nd PS2 already (7 months beyond warranty), but at least the hardware isn't too expensive)
- Expensive games, hardware, and accessories.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Then we almost agree

(+ is good, = is meh, - is bad) :p
+ Great Backwards compatibility
+ Play games with non-gamers
+ Affordable games, hardware, and accessories
= Online Functionality
= Expensive games, hardware, and accessories.
= HD Displays
- Media Center capability
- Blu-Ray functionality
- Unreliable Hardware

If only Wii supported HD, even 720i... But the it and its games would cost more... Better this way :)

mancandy said:
routsounmanman said:
rage4dorder said:
routsounmanman said:
Give some credit to Sony ppl; at least the lose money in order to make you buy the console, whereas Nintendo steals from you in open sight.

lol, steals from you?

lol.

lol.

i think it's standard to sell things for more than it costs to make them to make a profit. not everyone uses the loss-lead model.

When you sell older technology ( processin-wise ) for an insanely high price, you're stealing. I once read in a magazine ( NGamer UK) that Nintendo ( and in particular Shigeru-san) wanted to price Wii at about 100$ but two factors contributed to the high pricepoint:

1) High cost parts ( Flash memory etc)

2) Big-chain retailers complaining about the low-margin profit from each unit sold.

Holy shit!!! Coca Cola has been selling me their old ass classic formula for years and has been making profit. Those damn crooks.

Funny how neither the PS3 nor the 360 has that old motion control technology and yet charges only a meager $499 and $349, respectively.

I once read on a napkin (McDonald's) that Sony wanted the PS3 to be $100 dollars too, but several factors contributed to the high pricepoint:

1) Blu-Ray Drive

2) Cell

3) what was your point again?

Pure freakin genius, that is so hilarious!!!

But, I do have to agree that Sony is trying to do all that they can do to get people to buy the console.  I believe that this will show that sony does care and maybe push some consoles.

You're right that Sony is really trying to fix their situation, but they themselves are the ones that set this up into such an undesirable mess. ~_~

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

I know... they screwed themselves over

routsounmanman said:
@mancandy & rage4dorder:

From my point of view:

Gamecube (at the moment): 99$
Wii : 249$

Wii > Gamecube but not enough to warrant a ~150$ difference...
Yeah because marketing, new production lines and patents don't add any cost to things...

wenlan said:

But you do have more choices now, don't you?  All the companies are the same, they want your money.  It's called business!

More choices isn't always a good thing. If I gave you the choice of eating a shit sandwitch, the testacles of a rotting dog carcass or a bowl of tape worms, does the fact I gave you a choice really matter?

Not all companies are the same, wanting my money is not enough to make them desperate, wanting my money doesn't make them the same beast. It's just one simplistic aspect of business that you're using to try and lump everything together to force your simplistic views of the matter, you're still just kidding yourself and trying to make the situation look better for what you want to believe.

wenlan said:

Microsoft also released multiple SKU and now all the SKU have HDMI.  That's not desperation?  That's not rectifying the problem of their product?  Be subjective, please!

Microsoft's SKUs were not released under the pressure to sell a flopping console though. None of the 360's SKUs were ever desperate bids to make the 360 more cost effect, none of the 360's SKUs were in direct response to the system failing.

Do you mean OBJECTIVE? not Subjective?

wenlan said:

How did you know the only purpose that Sony IPO their insurance business is to save PS3?  What is your source?  Yes, Sony made some stupid judgement in multiple arms of their core business before (first LCD TV, then MP3 player, now PS3), but they are trying to catch up.  They are doing very well with their LCD TV, aren't they?  Whether they will do it again on their Playstation business, we will see.  I do see PSP doing pretty well lately.

You ask for a source but then admit it yourself in the very next scentence? You're not very good at this are you? If Sony is doing so well, why are they being forced to sell off assets, why are they being forced to downsize? Why did the creator of the PS3 have to resign in shame? Why has Blu-Ray yet to make any real headway? Why are Sony execs constantly releasing contradicting press reports on the PS3 to the media in desperate bids to bolster its image? The PSP is doing pretty well lately because they just released a new SKU for it, but unfortunatley its software sales haven't increased any outside of Crisis Core which was incidentally released for it around the same time. Face it you're just trying to kid yourself.

wenlan said:

Back to the topic, I don't see anything wrong with their multiple SKU strategy.  Do you hear people complaining when they buy a computer or a car for too many choices.  If you want something more, pay for it.  Here I quote:

LeonGama says:
BC is a luxury, not a necessity...

The PS3 is not a car, and the video game market is not the car market. The video game market is also not the PC market so that defense is shot too. Listen you're obviously a kid, you obviously have little experience in arguing, and you're obviously naive about how the world works. If the PS3 is doing just fine, why don't you take a look at this websites main page, unless of course you're one of those fanboys from the beginning of the PS3 launch who tried to argue the PS3 is a luxury item so its okay for it to sell less, lol.

routsounmanman said:
Give some credit to Sony ppl; at least the lose money in order to make you buy the console, whereas Nintendo steals from you in open sight.

That's not stealing. It's called normal business as usual.  No one in their right minds would do business at a loss if they do not have other ways to make a profit off consumers.  It just depends HOW they do it.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

wenlan said:

Microsoft also released multiple SKU and now all the SKU have HDMI.  That's not desperation?  That's not rectifying the problem of their product?  Be subjective, please!

You're actually comparing MS adding features at the same price point to Sony removing features and slashing the price?

I wouldn't have such a problem with this if Sony would stop lying to the public... BC is important to us, we'll never have multiple SKUs again, etc.

I'm fed up with their lip service. They're treating us like morons.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/