By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Puzzle Quest this Wednsday: are you buying the best XBLA game ever?

I didn't realize how much awesome was in the premise of this game, till I heard alot of hype surround it's console-side debut.

Yes, lets get it out: this game is multiplatform. It's released on the PSP and DS already. However, the Xbox 360 is the first console to get it (it's slated for a later Oct. release on PC, and a mid-Nov release on Wii and PS2).

A full, definitive guide to what the game is about is at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puzzle_Quest:_Challenge_of_the_Warlords

(forgive me if the pictures aren't loading up)

Basically, the game combines addictive puzzle action (2pplayer), and RPG-style elements with tactical strategy. So there's alot of thinking to the game. Your character can get level ups ala Puzzle Fighter. The strategy is similar to something like Hexic or Bejewled: you make one move (via turn based combat), and use this turn to try and gain Mana tiles for attack spells, accumulate EXP, Gold or offensive Melee attacks.

The game features over 150 quests, between the main and side quests, plenty of battles, gold, levels and all that. Also, the game has been fairly highly reviewed, recieving a 86% average on Gamerankings for the PSP version.

Now, what makes it so unique other than being 2p on XBLA? The Price. The ironic thing is, Puzzle Quest is the CHEAPEST on the Xbox 360. The DS and PSP versions are retailing for $19.99 currently, whereas the XBLA version is a mere 1200 points ($14.99, or $5 less).

IMO, this looks like a must-buy for RPG fans, and people that enjoy puzzles.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

That sounds great, but I still won´t get it... the only time I tried to connect to XBox live I put a network cable into my 360 stared it and saw a big red ring... could have been the cable (I think it gives me a shock sometimes) still I never tried again... thats the only problem I´ve had with it and I´m not crazy about online so I don´t care... when Castle Crashers comes out I´ll try again....

I bought it on the DS for 25 bucks (Canadian, when dollar wasn't so high).

Got a good 30 hours out of it Very fun. Though classes are ridiculously imbalanced, I was 1hit KOing (Well, a setup move and an attack move) the last boss with my Warrior. Which is about 400 damage, and once you've played the game, you'd know that is a lot.

And multiplayer is kinda ruined by that, using a warrior or someone using the web ability (Yay, miss 8 turns, and guess what? You can use it again long before they get another turn!) kinda takes away the fun and strategy and just comes down to luck for spell resist or who goes first. Although they may have modified it from the DS version.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Cureently playing it on DS and it's excellent but seems not widely available.
It's like a massively scaled down WOW but just as time consuming and addictive.
I wouldn't want to play it on anything other than a handheld however.

Is this going to be the same as the Wii version?
I was thinking about which version to get.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

Around the Network

I *think* the Wii version is similar, but I haven't heard if the Wii version is featuring online MP.

mrstickball said:
I *think* the Wii version is similar, but I haven't heard if the Wii version is featuring online MP

I'm asking like content-wise. Like Geometry Wars is way more stuff than Retro Evolved.

If it's the same content with no online MP and more expensive, I might as well get the 360 one. 

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

gitanil - as far as I know, content-wise, it's the same thing for every version - DS, PSP, Wii, X360, PS2. Except for the fact that the X360 version has the MP.

That and I know with the later ones (Wii, X360, PS2) they fixed some balancing issues and glitches.

So IMO, I'd go the X360 route if you had an X360 - you'll get MP, and the fact that I just don't see a disk-version debuting any cheaper than $20 USD, and 1200MP is a bit cheaper....So why not pay less and get more?

gitanil said:
mrstickball said:
I *think* the Wii version is similar, but I haven't heard if the Wii version is featuring online MP

I'm asking like content-wise. Like Geometry Wars is way more stuff than Retro Evolved.

If it's the same content with no online MP and more expensive, I might as well get the 360 one.

Geometry wars isn't way more on the wii. They just broke up the gameplay into levels. When you play Retro evolved you're basically playing a ton of levels worth in a row with increasing difficulty with no stoppage. I don't think Bust-A-MoveING the gameplay will make that much of a content difference. It's the same way you cut up a huge slice of pizza into 4 little slices, you feel like you're eating a lot more than you are.

At least they added some little multiplayer thing for it, that was nice of them. 

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

Will wait for the Wii version (hope its a download?), although if I had a 360 would splash out on this.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099