By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New Poll - why do you visit VGChartz?

Also I think we have missed a very important point.

Since our site is mainly about sales, isn't it obviously going to be negatively affected when we are in a recession and the sales are the 'usual' every week?

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Taz! said:
ioi said:

So ok, back to what we do best:

- Sales charts
- Forums / community (you guys to thank for that!)
- News - both getting general news up quickly and original articles - two very different things really though and maybe we need a better way to seperate the two
- Game database (although maybe we're trying to do a little too much with cheats / extras / user reviews unless we can promote it more as a stand-alone game db)

So maybe focus on these four core areas?

I don't think there needs to be any major emphasis put on the forums and community. Those aspects will just keep rolling along smoothly, and us (the members) are going to continue posting.

If we focus on Sales data (most importantly), News, Reviews and the Database - then hopefully the site will expand and more people will be tempted to join the forums. 

Wrong. NeoGAF is at a higher rank than us, and from what I've seen, they work on community alone. Community is very important to a gaming website. The site hasn't been expanding, even with all these additions. Working more and more on the issue just won't solve it. We need to make major changes, and we need to bring back the kind of community that this site used to have. Where the trolls were truly CRAZZY, and the comedians were actually funny.

Well in that valid case - how are you supposed to promote the forums, and make them a key reason to join the site if you are not a member?

hatmoza said:
because I'm stuck at work 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week.

i lol at this but I'm in the same situation.

News and sales. It used to be the other way, but lately I'm losing my interest over sales actually because of the PSP Go. The software for the system - which already is undertracked - will be completely useless very soon. At least the hardware is still very interesting.

Thousands of people lurk on this site. They watch the community, and they read the forums. A lot of members will tell you that they lurked a lot before joining the site. The more we improve the community, the better it will look on visitors. They will join the site, and word of mouth will bring more people to the site. It's how communities grow. You don't advertise when you're small, you rely on word of mouth. That's what we need, and that's why we need a great image.

Around the Network

I voted latest news.

The only gaming site IMO that has the latest and greatst as far as PlayStation goes is PSU.com, other then that The Chartz > ALL.

ioi said:
@MontanaHatchet - good points but I wouldn't exactly say we're small Our traffic is now higher than NeoGAF and many other game sites.

That said, I agree that we need to grow the community and attract more people to the site.

Oh, well I was going by the Alexa rankings. I don't know then, I'm just trying to help the site I love. I'm willing to help the community so long as everyone else puts forth a good commitment of their own. Vgchartz, at its core, kicks major ass. We need to get pumped now, we're too much into the moment.

Yeah!!!

VGChartz - B_E_L_I_E_V_E - VGChartz

If you want to compete with the big boys, you're gonna need money. Investing in oil would be a good place to start, those prices will be sky rocketing over the next few years, get 'em now, whilst they're low.

Or, we could break down the other sites using crowd breakers, like the ones they used in the 20s.

http://www.nohomers.net/content/fun/quotes/onion.wav

I'm glad to see you so pumped, I feel like we're making real progress here.

I'll do everything I can to help the site (my output is slower right now, I shouldn't have taken summer classes!), and I hope others will do the same.

Alright, now for the mushiness.

When I first joined this site in 2007, I didn't know if any videogame site would suit me. Gamefaqs was too dumb, Gamespot was too chaotic, and IGN was a bad combination of both. But this site presented great numbers, something I never thought I could find. It also presented a community that I finally felt I could be a part of. And most of all, it was led by an ambitious young buck who cared for his site and his community. I grew to love the site, and I shall remain loyal to you and this site so long as it retains its greatness.

You have my hatchet.

Now, *cough*, enough of that! Much work to do...