By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I love RPG's but i hate grinding - a little rant

i dont like a grinding a whole lot. If its like 2 or 3 levels to be on par with a boss for instance its fine. But for game that require me to grind for more than 10 levels just to get past a cetain point is an annoyance for me. Fortunately most RPG's ive played dont have this problem

Around the Network

I don't like games that represent my skills or abilities with nothing more than statistics. Yes, some things need to be statistics, which make sense to be modified by your actions in the game (for example 'strength'), but as much as is reasonable should be based on actual player skill rather than stats.

That's why I prefer action (or 'visceral') rpg's than turn based ones, and I'm also quite optimistic about what motion plus will do for rpg's, since attacks will be more based upon your actual actions than button presses, reducing the need for stats.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

ya I dislike grinding, but I got through Chrono Trigger ok without gridning at all

don't like it either, sometimes i totally lose track of the story and get bored, and then lose all interest...

Most games don't ask for a lot of grinding but a good strategy. If you don't like grinding then please don't play games as SMT nocturne. I like grinding if it goes fast like Tales of vesperia but not in games like Lost Oddyssey.

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:
Most games don't ask for a lot of grinding but a good strategy. If you don't like grinding then please don't play games as SMT nocturne. I like grinding if it goes fast like Tales of vesperia but not in games like Lost Oddyssey.

Ah so that's why i put it down only halfway through.

Lucifer's call that is. (nocturne)

I think that Oblivion's leveling system (along with FFVIII's made me realize that although grinding does suck, the main joy a
and theme of an RPG is starting as a weak character and developing into a powerful one).

I think that instead of changing the leveling system, dvelopers should simply make combat more unique, and also add an abundance of side quests and exploration. I just love to sometimes hop on a horse and explore every new dungeon I encounter in Oblivion. Although I may be facing the same exact enemies in yet another identical dungeon, playing as a stealth character allows me to feel like every assault is a new situation. Whether it maneuvering towards the perfect sniping spot, scouting where the enemies are, who to kill first (the mage who can summon an annoying pet, or an melle character that probably won't die with one arrow?), whether or not to apply poison, etc.

So my point is, don't worry so much about the system. The developers only need to have a foundation that allows every battle to feel unique, to encourage random exploration (instead of just running in circles), and IF possible more side quests (although XII's side quests were a bore...)

Persona 3's grinding can annoy me at times. Mostly because I feel it's a waste of time (in-game) if I don't fight until my characters got fatigue.. and that can take hours of farming when you got great condition and got 7 party-members to choose from.. :/
Also FFXII's farming ruined some of the storytelling for me..

Other than those two, I haven't really had a problem with it. I usually come up with a good strategy to compensate.

FFXII needed grining??? come on that was one of the easiest RPG's ever...I'm ashamed how easy it was to complete that game.

Easy mode times X 10.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Grinding is just a boring and easy way to add challenge to a game. At least they should hide it, or make it optional.