By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to discontinue 60GB PlayStation 3 in Europe

double post.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Gazz said:
A new sku has already been registered by Sony.

* Code: CECHG06 (SPECIFICATION)
* Sony PlayStation 3
* 160gb 2.5 SATA 5400rpm HDD
* CELL Broadband Engine (65nm process) @ 3.2ghz
* PPU x1, SPE x8
* RSX GPU (65nm process) @ 550mhz
* Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive @ 2x
* Memory Card Reader- Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash, Secure
* Digital
* 6x USB 2.0 ports
* HDMI 1.3 port
* 2x Gigabit ethernet ports
* DUALSHOCK 3 controller

This sku will be released along with a 60 gb version of the PS3 that will be like the current version, but without the extra controller and games and will retail at 449,- Euro.

All of this will be kept "secret" of course till the current 60 gb dries out, then they will do the Sony-Style-backtrack™.

@NJ5, ever heard of the core version of the 360?

That's a rumor.

The 80 Gig for USa was also a Rumor.
The 40 Gig for Europe was also a Rumor.

I think a lot of people believe that this rumor will come true.

NJ5 said:
Gazz said:

As far as I know, there's no territory where you can only buy the core version.

I thought that my post was quite explicit since we're talking about the possibility of a single model being available.

There also isn't a territory where you can only buy a 40 gb version of the PS3. There will be another version of the PS3 so the "what if" scenario is irrelevant. You asked the following "I mean, have you ever seen a console getting downgraded to a lower-specced model?" Not really explicitly clear on the availibility of a single model, actually it had no reference at all to it.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Gazz said:
NJ5 said:
Gazz said:

As far as I know, there's no territory where you can only buy the core version.

I thought that my post was quite explicit since we're talking about the possibility of a single model being available.

There also isn't a territory where you can only buy a 40 gb version of the PS3. There will be another version of the PS3 so the "what if" scenario is irrelevant. You asked the following "I mean, have you ever seen a console getting downgraded to a lower-specced model?" Not really explicitly clear on the availibility of a single model, actually it had no reference at all to it.

That's because you didn't read the post I was replying to (and which I quoted by the way). That post was specifically asking "what if this turns out to be the case".

You have to read things in the context they're said.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Words Of Wisdom said:
johnlucas said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Sony is doing this so that people will suddenly start buying the 80Gb models since the 40Gb won't have BC.

Once they get their sales increase, they may roll out a new model that does full everything.

But shouldn't they have done that from the beginning, W.O.W.?

John Lucas

It's hard to say. Maybe that's an approach they were trying to take with the 20Gb. Did it work there? It's becoming harder and harder to rationalize some of the decisions being made on Sony's part. This one looks straight forward, but looks can be deceiving.

It's confusing the hell out of me, I know that. They're scrambling, man. They're trying to make something happen. Sony INTRODUCED integrated built-in backwards compatibility to the business with the Playstation 2 in 2000. This is why the Game Boy Advance of 2001 plays old Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. This is why DS of 2004/2005 plays old Game Boy Advance games. This is why Wii of 2006 plays old Gamecube games.

Sony made built-in backwards compatibility an industry standard, a great one I might add. To see them in this kind of confusion is troubling. Because all these different units will find themselves in other regions eventually. The internet made the world more connected. You can't do this kind of thing. They're cannibalizing their own sales and thinking that hard drive size configurations are the key to boosting sales when it is really lack of popularly compelling game selections and a ridiculous price that keeps people away.

By doubling from PS2's $300 US to $600 to the PS3 they stopped most of the transfer of old audience to the new machine. Many people are sticking with their PS2's instead or are picking one of the competition's 7th gen offerings 360 or Wii in lieu of that development. PS2 is cannibalizing PS3 and all these changes only make it worse. It was a bad setup from Get-Go and really there's nothing they can really do to reverse this. I'd say it's best to stick with their guns and stay with original setup they had at launch and just try to get the games in. But that's impossible, isn't it, when hardware bases won't allow for sizable enough software bases. Dang.

They're screwed. It's just that simple. But doing all this mess will only screw them quicker. I'd try to slow the pace if I was them. Bundles might be their only option at this point. Not all these spec changes.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

@John lucas

Nobody wants to waste 600 dollars on a video game system no matter how many games it brings!!!!

They needed to reduce the cost. Hopefully they obtain europe again.

mM

This seems to be a move to the middle of the road (from higher end to budget) for console owners. I think that this is probably a good thing, I mean the Cell is the only thing that you really need. I wish that they would include a ethernet cable, for Home and updates but so what? That's a minor issue.

Secondly, this is not an insult to European gamers.  Instead of looking at this as an insult, look at the Wii.  That is priced even cheaper.  What does that say about the European consumer?  

If Sony only offers the 40GB SKU in Europe then I will go along w/ the Wii/Xbox fanboys and say Sony is making a really bad decision.

I see a lot of over-reaction to this. If things are going to go as bad as you people say, then Sony will simply bring back the 60g and bundles.

Im glad your happy I dont think any one is saying the PS3 is a bad machine just wondering how the marketing plan works and whats next.

I dont know if owning a wii makes me a fan boy. I do want a PS3 for the Blue Ray and Hdef games but I cant afford it. so long may the war between the 360 v ps3 continue because I want to pay less.

The other problem for me is, I have lots a friends with 360's so do I get it for Xbox live, I have some friends with PS3 but is there enough for online play, Halo, when do I buy a PS3 because Sony keeps on changing the models. and im waiting for more games at the moment anyway