By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Confirmed: the 40GB $399 PS3 arrives in the US

Wojtas said:
Well i won't be buying the 40Gb sku. And if i get to the point that i'll have the cash to get a ps3, and it turns out that there are only 40GB skus out there, then i won't be getting a PS3. Why? BC is something that is a must for me, so no dice for this sku.

I'm in the same boat.  No BC = No Purchase...

Besides at the rate Sony has dropped PS3 since release, I'll be able to get one next Christmas for under $200...

Started at $599 (60 Gb) and $499 (20 Gb)...  Then, drop the $499 SKU (20 Gb) forever...  Reduce the $599 SKU (60 Gb) to $499 and introduce a new $599 SKU (80 Gb) and let the $499 (60 Gb) die slowly...  Now, $599 SKU (80 Gb), and a $399 SKU (40 Gb), and $499 SKUs (60 Gb) are still kicking around...  Then, they'll probably drop $599 SKU to $499 (80 Gb)...

This is really becoming a joke.  All this in just less then a year.  When they get it together I'll buy one...  Until then, my NextGen collection sits with a Wii and 360.  There is plenty of content on both to keep me busy until Sony figures out what product they really want to sell me.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
JMan said:
hmmm, I was reading an article about how the software emulator for the PS3 sucked compared to some other software PS2 emulators and there and I got thinking...what about using PS2Emu on the PS3? It's a PS2 emulator for Linux, and as I recall, PS3 can do Linux. I wonder if PS2Emu can read PS2 CDs. That would make this 40 GB model a little more appealing.

I imagine that PS2emu uses the PC's GPU for emulating the PS2's GS, so forget about it. On the PS3, you don't get access to the graphical card in Linux, it's restricted so that people can't make games for linux on the PS3 which would kill their licensing fees.

BTW, can you give me the link to that article you were reading please? I'd like to read it.

:(  That's too bad. I guess I'll have to keep waiting for the other PS3 to drop into my price range.

Looking back at the article, I see I misinterpreted it.  It was comparing hardware PS2 emulation on the PS3 vs software emulator on the PS3.  My bad.

this will sell.

^^^^ Thank you

Finally, someone sees the light.

I have three seemingly obvious questions about the 40GB PS3, I haven't seen them anywhere, though.

1) This is more likely. Sony removed the memory card slots and two USB ports from the 40GB.  Do USB hubs and MC readers work on the PS3? I was at CompUSA many moons ago and picked up a "laptop kit" for $10 that had a USB hub, USB multi-MC reader, ethernet cable, modem cable, and carrying case. I can't believe that USB hubs or MC readers are even that expensive now. Particularly, are they compatible on boot, since the only time I ever used the MC readers on the PS3 was to install the otheros bootloader.  (Not that installing Linux is going to be a deciding factor for anyone but me and maybe five other people)

2) This is less likely, but could be easily answered by anyone with a 40GB PS3. Is there any unusual bus connector? Such as one that could be used for a future addon like an external GS. If not, Sony made a mistake here, as I see it, it would be trivial and add (almost) no cost to provide an expansion slot which would allow a GS or EE/GS card to be added, to permit PS2 compatibility. 

3)  Here's the VGChartz fodder. What I don't want is to start an argument about is the PS3's reliability. The failure rate is very low, even compared to normal consumer electronics, and particularly the PS2, if you disagree, fine, but it's not what I'm asking about. What I want to know is what will happen to the value of the original 60GB PS3 with the hardware EE/GS after it gets sold out. Will it ever become valuable? To the point of its original retail value? Or has the reliability of new PS2's come to the point where this is irrelevant? 

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
@Dodece

one of them has R& C bundled
& yeah SP 3 was TERRIBLE

BUT BUT

it made more than the 1st two (unusual for a sequel)

SPIDER-MAN

Domestic Total Gross: $403,706,375

SPIDER-MAN 2

Domestic Total Gross: $373,585,825

SPIDER-MAN 3

Domestic Total Gross: $336,530,303

I am not even going into WW sales the diffence is even Worst. Spiderman 3 opened to the highest grossing Weekend ever and then fell off the map pretty fast. Most sequels open larger but finish with a lower total. Nothing unusual here.

@Redspear

WORLDWIDE!!

It's grossed 900 Million +

go to IMBD n see

More than SP 1 - 850 Million

n

SP 2 - 760 Million

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

I'll be buying this 40GB PS3. I'm going to hook up my ps2 in the living room. I don't trust any version of the PS3 for BC.

^^^ If only everyone else had your mentality...

DMeisterJ said:
^^^ If only everyone else had your mentality...

The mentality of not trusting Sony hardware to do what the box says it can?

Sure, sounds awesome. Let me know how far you get with that.

Quote DMJ was responding to:

Mighty_Douche said:

I don't trust any version of the PS3 for BC.