By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps3 on the brink of 24million Console's sold Worldwide

Graves said:
perpride said:
Graves said:
Good for Sony, it'll surpass the PS1 and PS2 in no time.

/thread.

It's not exactly a good thing that it took PS3 this long to (almost) hit 24 million. Still, for a console who people thought would not make it to 2008, especially considering it is still at a very high pricepoint, this is not bad news.

You act like the console has been a success since 2008. Sony keeps pissing money away in hopes the system doesn't look like a failure.

Success is hardly the word. But I am saying that it can no longer be called a failure. It is about to hit 24 mill and soon pass Xbox, and this is still at $400 a pop. It has much room to grow if anything, especially with hardware development costs coming down. The console also has a stellar library of games and is recieving quite a bit of great third party support.

Around the Network

There's really no point in trying to argue that the PS3 is not doomed.  Fanboys won't or can't listen.  Systems sold so far since Q1 2009 for 360, I believe was reported to be 31.4 million.  For Sony, it's 23.89 million.  That's a difference of 7.51 million.  So that 8 million lead has actually declined.  What's really incredible is listening to the X-Bots try and spit out this fictional 9 million lead the 360 has over PS3.  What also is interesting is how VGChartz reports the 360's sales number as what Microsoft reports it to be, but doesn't report what Sony has the PS3 at.

All companies report their numbers as how many have sold to stores, so why aren't they all held by the same standard?

perpride said:
Graves said:
perpride said:
Graves said:
Good for Sony, it'll surpass the PS1 and PS2 in no time.

/thread.

It's not exactly a good thing that it took PS3 this long to (almost) hit 24 million. Still, for a console who people thought would not make it to 2008, especially considering it is still at a very high pricepoint, this is not bad news.

You act like the console has been a success since 2008. Sony keeps pissing money away in hopes the system doesn't look like a failure.

Success is hardly the word. But I am saying that it can no longer be called a failure. It is about to hit 24 mill and soon pass Xbox, and this is still at $400 a pop. It has much room to grow if anything, especially with hardware development costs coming down. The console also has a stellar library of games and is recieving quite a bit of great third party support.

Well that's fantastic! I'm sure Sony's ultimate goal was to outsell the original Xbox, come in dead last this gen, and lose all the profits from the PS2. Sony actually hurt the Playstation brand and allowed Microsoft to grow. How is it not a failure?

It still may be getting 3rd party support but it doesn't get all the exclusives like previous Playstation consoles and its not the primary software mover. I get it, you're fanboy and if the PS3 had a vagina you would marry it. But this console is a complete and utter failure.

Graves said:

Well that's fantastic! I'm sure Sony's ultimate goal was to outsell the original Xbox, come in dead last this gen, and lose all the profits from the PS2. Sony actually hurt the Playstation brand and allowed Microsoft to grow. How is it not a failure?

All that matters is what your point of reference is. If it is one or all of those things you mentioned, then it's a catastrophic failure. But if you use other references, such as customer satisfaction, the console price or comparing it against less successful consoles (Gamecube, Xbox or Dreamcast) you get an entirely different picture. Just to answer the questions of how it is not a failure.

This is invisible text!

Killergran said:
Graves said:

All that matters is what your point of reference is. If it is one or all of those things you mentioned, then it's a catastrophic failure. But if you use other references, such as the console price or comparing it against less successful consoles (such as Gamecube, Xbox or Dreamcast) you get an entirely different picture. Just to answer the questions of how it is not a failure.

Well the Gamecube actually generated money and they still produce it, its called the Wii.

The PS3 is amongst the Xbox and Dreamcast. Obviously Sony is oblige to keep the PS3 alive to avoid tarnishing the Playstation brand even more so.

Around the Network

The Ps3 is not a failure it is on the brink of 24million consoles sold, soon to be ranked No. 10 in "The Bestselling Video Game Consoles Of All Time".

For it's price thats very impressive it took the orignal Xbox around 5yrs to sale 24million consoles, the Ps3 has done it in 3yrs not to mention the Ps3 was around $450 dearer (on launch) than the original Xbox.

The List

No.1) Sony PlayStation 2 2000 {140 million}

No.2) Sony PlayStation 1994 102.49 million

No.3) Nintendo Nintendo Entertainment System 1983 {61.91 million}

No.4) Nintendo Wii 2006 {52.62 million}

No.5) Nintendo Super Nintendo Entertainment System 1990 {49.1 million}

No.6) Nintendo Nintendo 64 1996 {32.93 million}

No.7) Microsoft Xbox 360 2005 {30.2 million}

No.8) Atari Atari 2600 1977 {30 million}

No.9) Sega Mega Drive/Genesis 1988 {29 million}

No.10) Microsoft Xbox 2001 {24 million}

No.11) Sony PlayStation 3 2006 {23.89million}

Thanks.

Well it has a change to hit the 6th or 5th best selling console atleast

mM

@ TrevDaRev
Is this what it has come to? A Playstation console being compared to another console that didn't generate a profit?

Graves said:
Well the Gamecube actually generated money and they still produce it, its called the Wii.

The PS3 is amongst the Xbox and Dreamcast. Obviously Sony is oblige to keep the PS3 alive to avoid tarnishing the Playstation brand even more so.

I guess I should have said 'consoles that have sold less'. All I tried to show was that success is based on a number of parameters and your frame of reference, and which ones you think are important is up to you. Once you grasp that it will be pretty easy to see how this entire discussion is actually running on parrallell tracks.

This is invisible text!

leo-j said:
Well it has a change to hit the 6th or 5th best selling console atleast

Well every console this gen is finding a place on that list. If the Xbox 360 can double its sales it could end up being #4. Clearly more people are buying consoles.