By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When did you notice a division in sides in gaming.

For me it was with C64/Spectrum/MSX.

And I was at the Spectrum side at first, but switched to C64 when I realized it was superior.

Around the Network

Ummm I'd have to say I got big on fan-bias last round, Before the X-box it was Playstation or Nintendo, but I coulden't really base a bias off that, it was like comparing Fish to Cow, they both offered protien just whichever happened to taste better was all preference. I kind of changed my view on video games and got really into Surealistic, Epic cinematic type games (started with Chrono trigger then moved to FF7, Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Cross, Etc.) So going with Sony was a no brainer for me. That and the fact that at the time Sony offered things like multi-use hardware, backwards compatiblilty, and a crapload of RPG's which I'm really big on.

But then Microsoft -_-;;; First off let me state that I HATE Microsoft. I've dealt with there buggy software for sooo many years >< But but but! I have no real gripes with the first X-box, looking back at it in retrospect it introduced  a new concept to console gaming (Hard drive) and it was a fairly solid system, I hated the controller but that was about it, I just couldent buy it because it was MS.

And then the 360, they busted, a friggin MS on they're own console...  They put out a very strong first product, got the fanbase hook, then BAM they release a HORRIDLY unreliable piece of hardware, one SKU of which didnt even include what EVERY owner of the first gen loved about it in the first place! 33 percent failure rate was WAY to high for ANY HARDWARE manufacturer, and I would have understood if it was like, a reader, or a battery in a controller, but it was the friggin processer/graphics card ><. Then rumors of the "disk eating" which sad to say, are definately not rumors ;-; (My roomates lost 3 to the beast ), then consoles bricking durring a RROD durring an update, etc etc etc. I couldn't believe that MS did this to the world AGAIN. 

So as far as playing games go, I'll play games on the 360, I just wont buy them, and its only been a few so far that I just had to play (Bioshock is pretty 1337 :P )  

ANYWAYS back to the point at hand, I noticed a fan-boy war last gen with the introduction of the Xbox. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Harvey Birdman said:
jhlennon1 said:

I joined gaming with Sony in the Playstation first launched, so my loyalty has never really been anywhere other then with Sony.

I did buy a Gamecube though. I only bought 4 games for it, Metroid Prime 1 & 2 and Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero. I have bought a Wii since then but again I usually buy PS3 games and ignore majority of Wii games. I own Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 and I intend to get Galaxy and that's it for the Wii.

So yeah, I am a Sony fan since I own a lot of PS1, PS2 and many PS3 games.

I completely refuse to touch anything that says "Xbox"

Same goes for me. Not that I think the Xbox brand is bad, but I don't see the diversity of games compared to the Playstation and Nintendo brands.

That is because you are not looking. Because you don't want to look.

Seriously, saying what you just said, at this moment in time is just... I don't want to call it fanboyism, but you just see what you want to see and nothing else.

I first noticed it in the Super NES / Genesis era, like others said. The thing is, without the internet, people had to talk and get along in real life...I don't know about you guys, but I don't see such heated, "I hate console X" debates in real life...people want to get along. On the Internet, nobody cares about getting along so they can say whatever they want.

Had the Internet been available, I'm sure fanboy rantings would have been just as bad back in the 16-bit era as they are now. I remember after Mortal Kombat came out, magazines started getting flooded with "envelope" art of Mario and Sonic performing gory fatalities on each other. It's pretty funny in retrospect.

Stevetrop said:

When did you notice sides in the console wars and when did you started taking sides in it.

For me gaming started out as just gaming when I got my Atari 2600. Then things changed for me when I saw my cousin get a Sega Master System and not to long after my mom bought me a NES. I started becoming a huge Nintendo then and I kinda was against Sega.

My cousin would get sonic games and I would get mario games. He got Phantasy star and I got Final Fantasy and it went on like that. Im not to much of a fanboy now I got just about all the systems as years went on. Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft I got all their systems.

When did you start seeing sides in gaming. And what part if you did become a fanboy did you become one?

There was some in the Genesis vs. SNES but it wasn't as rabid as the Playstation Vs. Dreamcast... That one was the first one, in my opinion, that seemed to have people so galvanized that they would support one or the other to the death.  Clearly this generation takes the cake, though, because of the ease of access to the internet...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.