By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3rd party sales math games!

thanks robjoh, and about my calling the Wii the second choice system. I didn't mean it in terms of user base or sales. I meant that 99% of households that have 2 systems, one will be a Wii. Or many people the first opt to buy a ps3 or X360 will later also buy a Wii(hence calling it the second choice system). I still think many people will soley own a Wii, and many will purchase a Wii prior to another system. But my main point is Nintendo designed a system worth buying, for a first choice or a second choice(in this case it avoids the console war all together), while the pricing of the other two systems don't make it an easy pairing. So they can easily sell more, because people will either buy it alone, or buy it along with another system. usually Nintendo will have a few titles most people just can't say no to.

Around the Network

fooflexible said: thanks robjoh, and about my calling the Wii the second choice system. I didn't mean it in terms of user base or sales. I meant that 99% of households that have 2 systems, one will be a Wii. Or many people the first opt to buy a ps3 or X360 will later also buy a Wii(hence calling it the second choice system). I still think many people will soley own a Wii, and many will purchase a Wii prior to another system. But my main point is Nintendo designed a system worth buying, for a first choice or a second choice(in this case it avoids the console war all together), while the pricing of the other two systems don't make it an easy pairing. So they can easily sell more, because people will either buy it alone, or buy it along with another system. usually Nintendo will have a few titles most people just can't say no to.
ok thanks for the clarifications then I totaly agree.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

I don't like the whole "360 = 10 million, PS3 = 500,000" thing If there making a game and selling it on both 360 and PS3 then there splitting the development cost on both. Or if you really wanna go fanboyist, you could spin it and say that a PS3 game cost 10.5 million (10million + cost of porting) and that the 360 version is $500,000 cheaper. Woo hoo another win for the 360! My job is done here!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

robjoh said: I actuly think that one of the reasons the 3rd party support will be better for Wii than GC is the higher sales which actuly indicates that it might be the dominating system for this gen!
I agree with what you said so far, but I think this is a bit far fetched. I would more tend to say, that they mioght dominate the market for 2 to 4 years, but then they will probably be overwhelmed by the raw horse power of the Xbox 360 and the PS-3 and gradually drop in sales below these plattforms. Then it will be time for Nintendos next console. The Wii was probably the best possible move Nintendo was able to achieve, but then it will no longer be able to compete it woulkd not be too hard for Microsoft or Sonmy to come up with an additional controller to implement the Wii features, but Nintondo can not add to the Wii graphics that they would look as good as the Xbox 360 or PS-3 But then Nintendo will have the cpacity to develop an improved Wii, that can compete with the Xbox 360 and PS-3 for a smaller price.They simply realized that the whole underpricing of the console doesn't add up. It is much more sensible to wait till the technology is readily avaoilable afnd then produce a suitable and cheap console, than to build it with totally new technologies and sell it with heavy losses in the beginning to a price that is still to high for normal people.

kars said: robjoh said: I actuly think that one of the reasons the 3rd party support will be better for Wii than GC is the higher sales which actuly indicates that it might be the dominating system for this gen! I agree with what you said so far, but I think this is a bit far fetched. I would more tend to say, that they mioght dominate the market for 2 to 4 years, but then they will probably be overwhelmed by the raw horse power of the Xbox 360 and the PS-3 and gradually drop in sales below these plattforms. Then it will be time for Nintendos next console. The Wii was probably the best possible move Nintendo was able to achieve, but then it will no longer be able to compete it woulkd not be too hard for Microsoft or Sonmy to come up with an additional controller to implement the Wii features, but Nintondo can not add to the Wii graphics that they would look as good as the Xbox 360 or PS-3 But then Nintendo will have the cpacity to develop an improved Wii, that can compete with the Xbox 360 and PS-3 for a smaller price.They simply realized that the whole underpricing of the console doesn't add up. It is much more sensible to wait till the technology is readily avaoilable afnd then produce a suitable and cheap console, than to build it with totally new technologies and sell it with heavy losses in the beginning to a price that is still to high for normal people.
This might be a sin to say this... But for those who think Wii Sport is one of the funniest games for ages graphics doesn't matter and if Nintendo can win enough support early it wont matter is xbox360 or PS3 is stronger. For the avarage Joe it is about how fun the games is. I don't say that this will be true, but you must agree that Wii sport is a system seller and the graphics for that game is so old that I personally think that this: Just wait for the PS3 and xbox360 crush Wii with raw horse power. Well guess what they already do that. So waiting some more months or years wont matter.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

robjoh said: But for those who think Wii Sport is one of the funniest games for ages graphics doesn't matter and if Nintendo can win enough support early it wont matter is xbox360 or PS3 is stronger. For the avarage Joe it is about how fun the games is. I don't say that this will be true, but you must agree that Wii sport is a system seller and the graphics for that game is so old that I personally think that this: Just wait for the PS3 and xbox360 crush Wii with raw horse power. Well guess what they already do that. So waiting some more months or years wont matter.
They will crash it, simply because the Wii can't really display HD Graphics and SD Displays are currently dying out. While you are correct that the gameplay is more important than the graphics especially in games that are targeted at groups of gamers, that interact through the console with each other this is not quite as simple in single user games. The Wii right now sells because it is something new for an acceptable price. Its competitors are currently out of this price range, but their prices will decrease. The production costs for the Wii will decrease too but unfortunatly at a much slower pace. And when the Xbox 360 only costs 20 to 30 bucks more it will be a no brainer what you buy. Currently the expensive alternatives are not worth their price but in the long run the Wii must use to something like the Xbox 360 that is totally designed for low production costs.

kars said: They will crash it, simply because the Wii can't really display HD Graphics and SD Displays are currently dying out. While you are correct that the gameplay is more important than the graphics especially in games that are targeted at groups of gamers, that interact through the console with each other this is not quite as simple in single user games. The Wii right now sells because it is something new for an acceptable price. Its competitors are currently out of this price range, but their prices will decrease. The production costs for the Wii will decrease too but unfortunatly at a much slower pace. And when the Xbox 360 only costs 20 to 30 bucks more it will be a no brainer what you buy. Currently the expensive alternatives are not worth their price but in the long run the Wii must use to something like the Xbox 360 that is totally designed for low production costs.
Well, what happens if the Wii has twice as many games developed for it as the XBox 360 or PS3? Will it be a no-brainer to spend $50 more when they game you want isn't available for the PS3 or XBox 360? The fact is that if the Wii gets to a point where it dominates in terms of third party support the 360 and PS3 don't stand a chance ... You need strong sales today in order to have strong sales tomorow

I doubt HD will have that much of an impact during this generation of console wars, at least not until near the end. North America HD penetration is expected to increase to about 25% this year from 18% last year, the Japanese don't seem to care about HD at all (I believe their HD penetration is much higher though, mainly due to smaller displays), and Europe is, from what I've heard, way behind North America for HD penetration. And then there will always be people who care more about playing the games than admiring the pixels. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said: and Europe is, from what I've heard, way behind North America for HD penetration.
It is, but where do you find an SD Display now? In Europe this gets more and more difficult. Nowe even smaller Displays are all based on LCDs. The normal tube is pretty much extinct. And I don't think that the Wii will totally overwhelme the Xbox 360 and PS-3 due to easy cross plattform development for 3 plattforms: the PC, the Xbox 360 and the PS-3. Especially Microsoft will take care that the cross pülattform support for the PC and the Xbox 360 will be easy, to get better support for Live... While I am sure that in the short run the Wiii will dominate due to this fact the Xbox 360 and the PS-3 will hnot be dropped by 3rd party developers. It will not dominate so totally that it would make the other markets negligable.The basic hardware of the Wii is in a much later development stage. In fact I find it bad that the Wii isn't generally available. It would be really interesting to see how the Wii sells compared to the 300 Euro Xbox 360s. Will the 50 Euro difference still be big enough fore the Wii to outsell the Xbox so easily? I must admit that I don't really believe that Media markt will raise the prices of the Xbox 360 again. I think first the new shrinked Xbox 360s will be there andf Microsoft will declare a price cut. (Which will probably force Nintendo to cut its prices too.

I have 3 things to say about HD 1. The fact almost all TVs are LCD/Plasma now. Wii looks noticebly worse on them. Meaning in 2 years when CRTs are gone. You will have to buy used TVs to get the best graphics out of your Wii. 2. Have you seen 300? at the movies? The trailer looks better at 1080p than the movie looks at the theater. (this is sheer detail. 1080p has more detail than a film theater) 3. I dont know anyone who has experienced HDTV at home, that a HDTV is *not* on their 'to buy' list. I watch Greys Anatomy, Ugly Betty, Men in Trees, and such in HD. When I go visit my parrents... they dont have HD. And I watch it in SD. And I sit there for the first 15 minutes. Cussing saying. "This looks like CRAP. CRAP!!!! Get a real TV." When my 26inch HDTV looks better than their 27inch SDTV from 10feet. You can Notice the diffrence... that far away... It is a MAJOR diffrence. 1080p is the future of HD. But in all honesty, I dont care if it's there yet or not. 1080p is what the *new* digital theaters run at. They look 2x better than a film theater. Well not quite 1080p They are 68pixels taller. I feel HD will be very imporant starting next year. 2007 is the year of HD... at least that's what every retailer, and manufacturer is saying. 720p is enough for me. Why the Wii cant do it. I dont know.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!