By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 160GB PS3!! European size is getting smaller, the Japanese bigger...

darthdevidem said:
@shambolic

it's only confusing to us VG geks who know these things

the random tom, dick or harry

WON'T know or care about models in different continents, he'll want the cheapest model he can get in his walmart/Gamestation/whatever JAP shops sell games

I think there's plenty of confusion even without leaving one continent. Especially with Sony threatening to discontinue the best models as they're doing in Europe.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@NJ5

their not "threatening" anyone

stop using melodramatic words to degrade SONY

their giving people a cheap PS3 with no BC

I know many people who don't give a _ _ _ _ _ for BC

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Umm, 2 HDMI ports and 3 Gigabit ports? Unless you plan on running this as a centralised media server, I can't see any point in this (and even then, how are you going to saturate 3 gigabit with a slow hdd anyway).

Shambolic said:
This is all going to get rather confusing for most buyers, it's pretty hard to keep track of what's going out and coming in and where and for how much.

People won't know whether to wait for something better or cheaper to be released or buy up old stock with bc.

Thank you for understanding me! I don't bash at Sony in general but for making it so confusing with these models. Its making "me" insane. I want to buy the JP version (I own 60+ JP PS2 games and my PS2 is "dead" and waiting to buy the PS3 "with" BC) and keep on waiting and waiting and waiting. Not knowing what will happen next and "what" rumor to believe. I was also waiting for the 65nm cell with hopefully a cheaper version... and if this turns out to be true... I can get the 65nm Cell PS3 version but then I pay 100 Euro more *eeks*.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

The Japanese customers have more to compensate for? =P

Seriously though, I can't figure out a single reason why they'd do this. I'm not an expert on this (and neither are the guys calling the shots at Sony for all I can tell), but for that reason I don't believe this rumour at all. Surely there is no one on the planet who seriously thinks the thing holding back PS3 sales is the lack of bells and whistles?

Around the Network

Darthdevidem - I don't think it will work that way. The casual audience will probably be unaware of all the differences between models, however as it is still a fair wad of cash to put down for a games console many of them do some research and will have a look at game websites and magazines and be confused.

Sure people want the cheapest but they don't want a console which is lacking, they don't want to pay all that money and be missing out and then have to pay more to get the console to the standard they want, as in the case of the 360 core.

darthdevidem said:
@NJ5

their not "threatening" anyone

stop using melodramatic words to degrade SONY

their giving people a cheap PS3 with no BC

I know many people who don't give a _ _ _ _ _ for BC

I'm sorry but when Sony tells Europeans that the only model they can get in a few months is a gimped one without Backwards Compatibility, that counts as threatening in my book. They basically want to scare gamers into buying the more expensive model now...

Stop using dishonest arguments to defend Sony.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I was just about to post in another thread:

Say Sony... next time when you release a console, put a full manual for each version console in the stores, so people can take a peak in it and understand what they'll get....or not.

The people who're totally not aware of this, will find out about these misfortunes as soon as they have their console for a few months. Believe me, I'm talking from experience.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Maybe they think the PS3 is only selling in Europe for it's new games (thus the cheaper version with no BC) wheras the Japan version might be seeling for it's non-game features, so they put out one with even more.

Ok now I am a little confused. Aren't Europe getting the 40gb model and a more expensive 80gb or something model with the same bc as the 60gb had? Or are we just having the 40gb?

I get that some people just want a PS3 at the cheapest price they can and don't care about bc, fair enough. But surely they will have a model for those that do won't they?