By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Backwards Compatibility: How important is it?

Andir said:
Chadius said:

Take online gameplay on consoles, for example:

Innovation: Microsoft had it first

Here I though the Dreamcast had it first... Yeah, it was an add-on, but it was console online play. Even if we ignore this, the PS2 supported it and it came out before the XBox. I'd say the 6th gen was pretty close to saturation (besides Nintendo.)

DC had it first, but it never really stuck out enough to save it from the PS2's marketing wrath.
Microsoft imitated it and made it the selling point of the console.

When Microsoft whooped out XBox Live, Sony and Nintendo weren't prepared, at all. Sony said "um...we made some modems?" tossed Twisted Metal Online and ran for the hills, never to touch it again. Nintendo flat out said it wasn't profitable (yet) but they'll release some modems anyway. The real difference was how Microsoft footed the bill for the servers, which was a huge upkeep cost for publishers. So they lept aboard the XBox, talked about how awesome online service was, and Sony/Nintendo were forced to imitate the new feature.

It's another example of the true innovator (Sega) unable to utilize their unique strengths before the big guy (Microsoft) took credit. I apologize. 

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network

Important for me? 0% I didn't by a next gen console to play last gen games, after wall thats what all the last gen consoles are for.

Not important for me

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

BTW, here is a quote from Phil Harrison from 12 months ago:

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3."

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099