By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Backwards Compatibility: How important is it?

Figure BC's selling point is at console launch because gamers can play new last gen games as next gen games build up. Now its basically a moot point. With the PS Store having the ability to download games anyways it really doesnt matter.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

It's very important to me. IMO b/c is Sony's greatest contribution to the modern industry. It always bothered me that the GC wasn't. I still play my PS2 just as much as any other system. Hell I still play my PSone games on a regular basis. I just finished playing FFIX again like a week ago. So yeah, it means a lot to me. I was elated to find out that the Wii would be GC b/c. I still play GC and PS2 games more often than current gen games haha.

I would say it was extremely important. I never bought a N64, Gamecube, Saturn, or Dreamcast because I couldn't play classic games on them. The main reason I bought a Wii was for the Virtual Console. All the classic games you could ever want on one system. The problem there is the price and disk space. I can play all the GC games and VC games I want while I wait for new decent Wii games. The BIGGEST thing that I love about the PS2 is that it has the most games collections. You can get the Namco Museum, all the Midway titles, most of Sony's titles, a lot of Capcom titles, etc for really cheap. That really isn't backwards compatibility, but it is the great nonetheless. It is a shame you can't play those on the cheaper PS3.

If Sony had started with no BC, then it wouldn't be a huge deal, but since they started with it and then start taking it away then it's a big deal. Even more so that most systems coming out have backwards compatibility.

makingmusic476 said:

Edit: Hell, I still have my n64 hooked up, lol.

That's Hardcore, man.

Thinking about the issue some more, BC is great during the transition period inbetween consoles. HappySquirrel had a nice summary, but I feel this is important only for the first year or so, before momentum can't be changed.

Developers get to keep working on their old projects, instead of cancelling them the second the new system is announced. But afterwards they finish the projects and move on to the new system.

Retailers can spend the year burning out their old store stockwhile getting the new stuff. Then they sell new games and toss the old ones in the bargain bin.

Consumers, hmm. Looking back at my playstyle, there are only a handful of uber classics I hold onto while I trash everything else. While the new system builds a library the consumer can play the old stuff. Once the library is large enough most consumers switch and never look back.

For the console manufacturers, BC helps quickly build up a massive userbase for the new system. This is important during the critical first year, when a console has to establish itself.

I feel that BC is very important, but only for the first year, during the transition. Thanks for the innovation, Sony.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network

^
Capcom announced that they will shift their focus from the the PS2 to the PS3

Here is the link:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163417

Other developers will end up doing the same soon. Shifting their focus to current gen consoles.

I'll take the case!!!

It's not important to me. Sony is not doing anything that hasn't been done in the past.

Once Hot Shots Golf 5 comes out, I'll lose the only reason I play a PS2 game with HS 4.

This whole thing is being blown way out of proportion IMO.

So what do you win if your prefered console sells more than another?

It's very important to me.  I have a veritable arsenal of old games (roughly 30-40 games per system with the exception of the NES which is around 50-60).

I love all my old games.  Even today I can still enjoy a game of Star Tropics 2: Zoda's Revenge (NES) or Vectorman (Genesis).  Backwards compatibility is one of the most awesome features developed in the last few generations and I really want it to continue.

Shrug, apparently the reasoning is "There will be 65 games out on the marketplace for people to play, and we are dedicated to bringing the future".

The future, she comes slowly! But some people care, some don't. Technically, wasn't ps2 one of the first backwards compatible systems, this is only the second generation that has it.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

You know at first I didnt really give a crap out bc. Example, I was thinking if they sold a cheaper PS3 with no bc that would be fine and I'd scoop it up real fast.

But then I thought about it and I have alot of PS2 games. It would be nice to not have so many consoles hooked up to the tv. Plus I could give the old PS2 to my bro or something, or sell it on Ebay.
Also, I do play older Xbox games on the 360 (Fable comes to mind). There's always the chance I'll want to play a last gen favorite.

So yay for backwards compatibility.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )