By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's official: Bungie is no longer owned by Microsoft.

Legend11 said:
naznatips said:
W29 said:
I thought Microsoft bought the Halo license.

They did. I'm pretty sure the next Halo won't be made by Bungie.

I think it would be highly unlikely that Bungie would refuse to do another Halo game sometime in the future considering how lucrative the franchise is. Also in an interview done with Bungie's Frank O'Connor they ask him if they have grown tired of the Halo franchise and he had this to say:

"No. We love the Halo universe and still have projects going on within it, like the Peter Jackson collaboration and dowloadable content. If we ever return to the Halo universe, I'm sure we'd have cool stories to tell. The universe is, after all, infinite."*

*source: http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17682

Maybe they'll resurrect Halo DS!?! :O

Around the Network

Take2 owns the IP rights to Myth and Oni so they would have to buy either one back if they planned on making another one of them. They seem to be more interested in creating new IPs based on interviews they have done.

makingmusic476 said:
Actually, Nintendo owned 49% stock in Rare, but did not sell that stock to MS. They just sold it, who knows why. Then MS came in and bought Rare for $375 mil. Nintendo didn't really make any money from the deal. All they did was lose a AAA developer. Games like Kameo and PD0, while not as good as previous Rare games, still could've helped Nintendo during the GC era.

Think about it, the Wii could be getting more games like Banjo 3 to make up for the shovelware that will inevitably plague the console like it plagues the ps2.

If Nintendo sold 49% of the share of that company I'm sure they made a small fortune. The GC was a very successfuly console for Nintendo financially. I'm not saying Rare couldn't have made some more good games, but the only good game they have made since they left is Viva Pinata, which would have been admittedly much more successful on the Wii. I'm more interested in what they are going to have Monolith make than in Rare's development future.

Legend, I really don't think they want to make Halo anymore.  As you yourself said all their interviews imply interest in new IPs rather than more Halo.  The only thing Halo they ever say they are working on is the colaboration with Peter Jackson, which they are contractually obligated to work on since before they bought themselves back.  Their interview is worded nicely, but reading between the lines it doesn't seem like they want to make Halo anymore.  They Finished the Fight.  They are leaving it to Microsoft to milk it and start another fight. 

BenKenobi88 said:
So I don't understand why Halo DS got cancelled...maybe it's in the works again?

I'm not a huge Halo person...but it's totally different on a handheld.

Halo DS was never really in design proposal. What IGN showed was a working concept, used by a company to try and get the Halo license - and that stuff happens all the time when companies want access to a franchise.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
BenKenobi88 said:
So I don't understand why Halo DS got cancelled...maybe it's in the works again?

Halo DS was never really in design proposal. What IGN showed was a working concept, used by a company to try and get the Halo license - and that stuff happens all the time when companies want access to a franchise.

Matt C. always hinted that somebody big was behind the Halo Ds proposal. Personally, I doubt it. A spec demo like that is unlikely to come from an established company. It reminds me of the no-name Europena outfit that was going around claiming they were making a Ghostbusters game, when all they had was an unlicensed demo.

Around the Network

Oh if only another Myth game were to ever come out I would . ........ buy it. Thanks alot take2.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12834

Bungie is very diplomatic here considering their new found freedom.

However, "... Bungie is like a shark." I'm not sure I'm getting the imagery here. 

Desroko said:
sieanr said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Matt C. always hinted that somebody big was behind the Halo Ds proposal. Personally, I doubt it. A spec demo like that is unlikely to come from an established company. It reminds me of the no-name Europena outfit that was going around claiming they were making a Ghostbusters game, when all they had was an unlicensed demo.

He didn't hint.  He outright said there were big names behind it.  I think it's kind of ridiculous to think he's lying at this point after he has shown the footage.  If there weren't big names behind it he wouldn't have said that.  He's not some giant BSing retard.  He's a journalist.

naznatips said:

Legend, I really don't think they want to make Halo anymore.  As you yourself said all their interviews imply interest in new IPs rather than more Halo.  The only thing Halo they ever say they are working on is the colaboration with Peter Jackson, which they are contractually obligated to work on since before they bought themselves back.  Their interview is worded nicely, but reading between the lines it doesn't seem like they want to make Halo anymore.  They Finished the Fight.  They are leaving it to Microsoft to milk it and start another fight. 

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12834

"As you have no doubt read on the web today, Microsoft Corp. and Bungie Studios, have reached an unprecedented and exciting agreement – starting immediately, Bungie will become an independent company and will retain a long-term publishing agreement with Microsoft Game Studios for “Halo” titles.  The new structure became effective on Oct. 1, 2007.   The official blurb follows, but since you’re a valuable part of our community, we thought we’d sum it up simply and concisely."

Kotaku: In the Microsoft press release, Microsoft mentions the possibility that someone else could perhaps work on Halo titles. Is that something that bothers you?

Brian Jarrard: Not at all - in fact, this is already happening with Ensemble Studios and their work on Halo Wars. And, Peter Jackson and his team have a big role in the Halo project that we are collaborating on. Fortunately Halo attracts the best talent in the industry and Microsoft isn't going to run the franchise into the ground or jeopardize the quality bar and fan following we've already established.

Obviously if someone else can make Halo games they don't have a long term publishing agreement with Microsoft on the Halo series. Also, again the interview implies that Bungie isn't necessarily directly involved with the creation of the next Halo game.

naznatips said:

Kotaku: In the Microsoft press release, Microsoft mentions the possibility that someone else could perhaps work on Halo titles. Is that something that bothers you?

Brian Jarrard: Not at all - in fact, this is already happening with Ensemble Studios and their work on Halo Wars. And, Peter Jackson and his team have a big role in the Halo project that we are collaborating on. Fortunately Halo attracts the best talent in the industry and Microsoft isn't going to run the franchise into the ground or jeopardize the quality bar and fan following we've already established.

Obviously if someone else can make Halo games they don't have a long term publishing agreement with Microsoft on the Halo series. Also, again the interview implies that Bungie isn't necessarily directly involved with the creation of the next Halo game.

I'm done arguing, Bungie itself has stated they have a long-term publishing deal for Halo titles with Microsoft and I have no reason to think they're lying.  It said nothing in the deal about it being the exclusive developer of games in the Halo franchise but if Microsoft has a deal in place with them why would they go to someone else to work on main installments of the franchise when Bungie has done so well for them in the past?  Why would Microsoft risk the main installment of their franchise with another developer?