By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Super Mario Bros. Wii is history getting ready to echo

New Super Mario Bros. Wii will start the next 2D revolution!

Platformers like Gex, Bug!, and Clockwork Knights will all suddenly appear again. Plus console Sonic games will finally be tolerable again.

After that we might see some other 2D genres come back like the Beat 'Em Up, Shoot "Em Up and Fighting games. We might even have a Mortal Kombat that doesn't suck!

I only wish that sprited 2D made a comeback. *sigh : (

Around the Network
liquidninja said:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii will start the next 2D revolution!

Platformers like Gex, Bug!, and Clockwork Knights will all suddenly appear again. Plus console Sonic games will finally be tolerable again.

After that we might see some other 2D genres come back like the Beat 'Em Up, Shoot "Em Up and Fighting games. We might even have a Mortal Kombat that doesn't suck!

There's not much a financial movitation for 2D sprited.  It will be seen as lazy, especially @ a 50 USD price point.  Also, they will just be compared to classics that people are so nostalgia-stroken by.  In short, the movitation to buy it would be low.

Pixel Art can be fun.

I hope this can move Sonic back to 2d...

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

I'd like a Live Arcade/WiiWare Sonic game in the style of the Brawl Sonic and Green Hill Zone. Sonic in Brawl controls better than any other Sonic outside of the Mega Drive/GBA/DS games.

Personally I can't believe that there isn't anybody at Sega who saw NSMB climb it's way to 20 fucking millions in sale and didn't get up at a company meeting and say "So, are we making Sonic 4 yet?". Especially as the jump to 3D wasn't always smoot sailing for the poor hedgehog.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

Around the Network

I don't see retail games being released in 2D unless they have a TON of content or user created/online like Little Big Planet.

Now on the other hand, Nintendo is absolutely crazy for not re-imagining their classic games for Wiiware. Can you imagine how well Super Mario Bros. 3-2 with 4 player online co-op and voice chat would sell?  Or perhaps a Link to the Past 2 that played like an online 4 swords?  Hop online anytime and continue your adventure with up to 3 other players.  Their actions affect you and the story etc.  It could be amazing, but Nintendo will never do it.

Sadly, Nintendo is marching to a drumbeat that I get more and more annoyed at as the years go on.

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

SmokedHostage said:

liquidninja said:

There's not much a financial movitation for 2D sprited.  It will be seen as lazy, especially @ a 50 USD price point.  Also, they will just be compared to classics that people are so nostalgia-stroken by.  In short, the movitation to buy it would be low.

I'm sorry to ask Smokey, but have you seen or heard of King Of Fighters 12? That's motivation.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

i thought the speed levels in sonic unleashed were ok. they werent that good, but they were better than past console sonic games.

OT, that would be great but i dont see it happening. if gex were to ever be revived, i doubt it would be 2D.

I would jump on board in a flash.

I hope you're right.