By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - OFFICIAL: 40Gb Announced!!!

Ok... so future updates to the PS3 will NOT have backwards compatibility? Because I would like to have a PS3 for... well I would like to have a PS3, I never played some classics on the PS2 because I never had one, but if Sony is dropping the BC from future SKUs then I should buy it now.

What do you people think? Or should I get a used PS2?

Around the Network

@fazz

unless 80GB is dropped in USA later on, ye don't need to worry

or get the 60GB now for $500

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Onna76, chill out a bit. Do you already have a PS3? If so, you don't have to worry about it, you have BC in yours. If not, well then you will have to go and pick one up that does have it.

And just because they removed the GS from the 40gb doesn't mean that they could figure out a software emulation that could work at a future time. Of course if it's something they are working on, they will not state that someday it will have it just in case they can never figure out how to do it with 100% software.

But being that Sony is only to have the 40gb version, i would guess to say that they are fairly close to having a reliable software emulation without any hardware that could work. They may want to spring it on people like a "Surprise! Remember how we said that the 40gb wouldn't be BC? We found a way around it! TA DA!" Of course then the Wii fanboys would go off and curse Sony because they "lied" about not having BC and they are sick on Sony's lies for offering something they took out!

I have the 60gb PS3 (US Version) and honestly, I only played one ps2 game on it. Socom 2. And that was until I went out and bought a new game for the PS3. Guess how many PS2 games I've played on it since then? None. Do you know what I did after I played Socom 2 on my Ps3? I hooked back up my PS2 and used that for the game. With my 360, I have never put in any of my old Xbox games in it. Ever. I have no desire to really.

Keep in mind that MOST of us here are Hardcore gamers and are not similar to casual gamers. We want stuff like BC, just in case we get nostalgic and want to play an old game that we haven't played for years. Many gamers may keep their old consoles and put it in storage, or have it hooked up and sit there waiting to be played if they choose to do so.

Those complaining about space, come on. The PS2 is not the size of a couch or chair. If you could not possibly fit a small game console in your living room, it is far too crowded already as it is whether you had it or not. Why would I want to go and trade in my PS2 for $30-$40? I'll keep it for that amount.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

WiiStation360 said:
The current PS3 bundle in Europe got a price drop of €100. €599 -> €499
They added a new model for people that do not want BC: €399

So if you want BC you are paying €100 less than before.
If you do not want BC, you get a PS3 with no bundle for €200 less.

Am I missing something? How is this a bad thing for the consumer? Are they getting rid of BC all together?

Finally sense reaches the thread.

This is in no way a bad for the consumer despite how many people will try to spin it, and make it look like a bad move.

This is great news for many PS fans who were on the fence, waiting for a pricedrop.

I have a question, do any of you think that the general consumer who has a PS2 would care if the 40gb PS3 has BC?

Didja get that thing I sentcha?

Around the Network
Peter Potamus said:
I have a question, do any of you think that the general consumer who has a PS2 would care if the 40gb PS3 has BC?

Short answer. No. Go and make it your mission to go and ask someone you know that isn't a big hardcore gamer and has a PS2 if they care if they wouldn't be able to play their PS2 games on a PS3 if they bought it. Some of you may be a bit surprised by the answers.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

@Peter Potamus

NO!

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

I DO NOT support Xbox

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

@jjseth

been there done that

my friends don't care

one of them had an xbox & he doesn't care

Because they WANT NEX-GEN GAMES

their not gonna ignore a £299 price point

just cus you can't play some frikkin ps2 games on it

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

I DO NOT support Xbox

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

@jjseth

I just don't understand, the people complaining about this

1. Already have a PS3

2. Have a Next Gen console and never planned to get a PS3 in the first place.

3. Fanboys to their respected consoles.

About that mission, i'm on it!

Didja get that thing I sentcha?

@Peter

thats why 12345 got Stressed out

n guess what - HE GOT BANNED

so if anyone points out the problem, they get banned

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

I DO NOT support Xbox