By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Wii SKU spotted

jjseth said:
**wonders if ultraslick saw my post on this page with a black wii**

I saw it, it was my inspiration for the statement

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

Woot.... I was thinking it was a heck of a coincidence, or that you did see it. ;)

Just wait till they release black and blonde colored Wii's.... They could just call it Blacks on blondes.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

I don't think removing Wii Sports from the bundle is a good idea.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

~NeonFire372~ said:
I think white is the best color for the Wii, but that's just my opinion. As for the new SKU, it's probably just the Wii along with some game bundled in that's better than Wii Sports.

That would require there being a game better than Wii Sports. 

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

dschumm said:
~NeonFire372~ said:
I think white is the best color for the Wii, but that's just my opinion. As for the new SKU, it's probably just the Wii along with some game bundled in that's better than Wii Sports.

I would say that Nintendo should just keep Wii Sports in and pack-in Smash Bros. along with it. People would go insane for that.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Dolla Dolla said:

Care to explain why releasing a new color for the Wii would be foolish?

White is a very clean, very simple, very elegant color. Stronger colors like black are often considered more intimidating and sometimes less friendly. For example, are the walls in your house black? How about in any house you've seen recently? What color walls do you most often see in houses? For the simpler portion of the market of which color would make a difference, a softer color is a better choice. Does the consumer want the little white Wii or the large black PS3?

The next factor is similarities. Microsoft is riding high on the Wii60 idea and Nintendo is cashing in on it too to a point. Keeping the Wii and the 360 the same color reinforces this perception of two on one. Switching the color from white to something else puts distance between the Wii and the 360 that may not be beneficial.

Finally, it's another SKU difference. The less informed buyer will look at one white Wii much the same as another white Wii. Is there a difference? Maybe, maybe not. After all, they look the same. What about a white Wii and a red Wii? Oh the colors are different, what's the difference? Which is better? The customer suddenly has another dilemma in purchasing the Wii. The fewer choices the customer has to make and the easier it is to simply "buy a Wii," the better.

These are all marketing tricks and strategies. To an informed buyer who knows the differences between SKUs and prices, it may make little or no difference. I'll wager that not everyone is as informed as those who frequent this board though.

I'm sure my response was slightly longwinded, but does that answer your question?

These are some pretty good points, but I don't think that they constitute sufficient reason to avoid different colors, or black in particular, at all.  

Black is also seen as clean, simple, and elegant.  (That is, as long as it's not a dust magnet that scuffs as soon as you breathe on it like my PS3 -- but even that gets two out of three.)   I don't know about the "less friendly" bit but I will back up what others have said by saying that every last one of the many pieces of equipment in my main home entertainment center is black or dark grey and I didn't plan it that way at all.  Many of the walls in my house are white or off-white but there is also a lot of dark wood and dark brick, which is true of my friends' homes as well.  And I don't think color is anywhere close to the main reason Wii is selling gangbusters and PS3 is not.  

Microsoft may be benefiting from a Wii60 effect but I don't think Nintendo will until supply comes closer to demand in the States, and it won't be a big factor then either.   

As for color differences, this may indeed cause a certain degree of uncertainty in weak-minded consumers (who are legion) but I don't think that many people have trouble with the concept that they can buy a new car in any color they want (except of course a Model T) so I don't know why a second or third color option for the Wii would send them screaming for the hills, especially when five seconds with a non-idiotic salesperson will set them straight.   

Personally, though, mine's been wearing an NES-like skin ever since last Christmas.  Sometimes I almost forget it was originally white.  I think it looks quite handsome.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

EVIL-C said:
dschumm said:
~NeonFire372~ said:

I would say that Nintendo should just keep Wii Sports in and pack-in Smash Bros. along with it. People would go insane for that.

One problem with all these pack-in suggestions is that these are popular full-retail games people are proposing be pack-ins.  That's just not going to happen without a price hike, which would be counterproductive.  (Although I suppose Wal-Mart and others are already doing this unofficially.)

The biggest thing, though, is that Wii Sports is simply the perfect pack-in game.  Maybe not for you or me, but for the people who might actually need convincing to buy a Wii.  I still remember -- several months ago, now -- seeing some guy in a computer store, who looked like he might retire in a few years, sucking horribly at one of the Wii Sports games and grinning like a maniac the whole time. 

Wii Sports is a system seller, and there is no other game better at getting more Wiis out the door than would have sold with just the bare system.  That's the bottom line.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Interesting info on what the new SKU might include:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/rumor-nintendo-.html

Rumor: Nintendo To Get Educational With Wii Play 'N Learn

By Chris Kohler October 08, 2007 | 2:14:17 PM

Is Nintendo planning an educational Wii package aimed at younger players? The blog Codename Revolution dug up a UPC code for a new Nintendo of America product that its anonymous retail source says is a new Wii console SKU.

Wired News looked up the code on a UPC database and found that the data attached to it has been modified just today. The product name is Wii Play 'n Learn.

Perhaps some signals have been crossed and this product is an educational game. Or maybe it will indeed be bundled with Wii hardware in an attempt to bring in parents buying Wii as an early-learning device.

UPDATE: Or maybe, as a couple people have suggested on GAF, they're bundling existing games with thc console, like Big Brain Academy or Wii Play. That also sounds possible.

Wired News has requested comment from Nintendo.

Rath said:
I would be sorely tempted by a Jet Black Wii.

Do you know what I think they should release? A $349 Wii+DS bundle.

Nintendo could do that for one of two reasons!!!

-To promote the DS Downloading station feature from the Wii to DS

-When Wii/DS sales are really falling BADLY (PS3 numbers), this might boost sales up again!!! 

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY