By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
lestatdark said:
okr said:

@Lestat: I understand your frustration and I would feel the same way if it was GER that had lost the game tonight due to an offside goal, but you have to admit that POR still had plenty of time (30 min.) to equalize. I still don't understand why Almeida was taken out, the Spanish defense had problems with him.

Oh I completely agree, Portugal's second half was way bad. I never denied that. And I don't understand Queiroz's choices too, Almeida was being one of our best players on the field. Heck, on minute 52 he had that amazing sprint which almost gave us a goal. 

We lost the game partly because mistakes we did too, especially on the offensive side, but if it wasn't for that refereeing mistakes, Spain wouldn't have another chance to score, since Portugal defense was top notch during all the game. 

Anyway, i'm still fuming with a bit of rage from the way we lost. It's not like Spain isn't a better team than Portugal, but they didn't need to win like this. If it had been the other way around, there would be a massive amount of outrage. Pretty much like Barcelona's hypocresy in the CL, when they complained about being robbed with Inter but somehow didn't see anything wrong when Chelsea was robbed against them.

I agree with the bolded parts. Eduardo and the Portuguese defense were excellent once again (like in all matches before) and especially these guys would have deserved at least a draw and extra time. I feel for them.

Around the Network
okr said:
lestatdark said:
okr said:

@Lestat: I understand your frustration and I would feel the same way if it was GER that had lost the game tonight due to an offside goal, but you have to admit that POR still had plenty of time (30 min.) to equalize. I still don't understand why Almeida was taken out, the Spanish defense had problems with him.

Oh I completely agree, Portugal's second half was way bad. I never denied that. And I don't understand Queiroz's choices too, Almeida was being one of our best players on the field. Heck, on minute 52 he had that amazing sprint which almost gave us a goal. 

We lost the game partly because mistakes we did too, especially on the offensive side, but if it wasn't for that refereeing mistakes, Spain wouldn't have another chance to score, since Portugal defense was top notch during all the game. 

Anyway, i'm still fuming with a bit of rage from the way we lost. It's not like Spain isn't a better team than Portugal, but they didn't need to win like this. If it had been the other way around, there would be a massive amount of outrage. Pretty much like Barcelona's hypocresy in the CL, when they complained about being robbed with Inter but somehow didn't see anything wrong when Chelsea was robbed against them.

I agree with the bolded parts. Eduardo and the Portuguese defense were excellent once again (like in all matches before) and especially these guys would have deserved at least a draw and extra time. I feel for them.

Yup, Eduardo was my favourite player during the entire WC run of Portugal, by far. I was watching the game in an packed auditorium in my college, and after the game ended and the images of Eduardo crying passed on the screen, everybody stood up and clapped. He's a national hero for us.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

The referee was superb though until that red card in the 87th minute. Did anyone see the situation properly that gave the red card? Because to me it looked like the Spaniard faked an eye injury.

Anyway, the ref was fantastic until that point. He showed from the start that he wasn't going to allow no filming, no cheating, no dirty tricks. And we got a very clean game without any manipulation by the players (except for the 87th minute red card, the Spanish "eye injury" in the penalty box). Okay I wouldn't have mind if he had given Ronaldo one free kick but a couple of the times when Ronaldo fell it was him diving more than Spanish faults.

Slimebeast said:

The referee was superb though until that red card in the 87th minute. Did anyone see the situation properly that gave the red card? Because to me it looked like the Spaniard faked an eye injury.

Anyway, the ref was fantastic until that point. He showed from the start that he wasn't going to allow no filming, no cheating, no dirty tricks. And we got a very clean game without any manipulation by the players (except for the 87th minute red card, Spanish "eye injury"). Okay I wouldn't have mind if he had given Ronaldo one free kick but a couple of the times he well was him diving more than Spanish faults.

Referee had a pretty high amount of bad foul calls for both sides. Some tackles against Ronaldo were way too harsh, and he faked some way too much. Xavi and Iniesta were tackled too often as well. 

This was pretty far from being a superb refereeing. It this were to be considered a good refereeing, then I cringe at the state that FIFA has let the quality of the referees drop. If you want superb refereeing, see the match between Brazil - Chile or Holland - Slovakia. Those two had amazing referees, with almost no bad calls.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Ahhhhh, thank you Very Demotivational, you just made my day now

Current PC Build

Around the Network

the red card was for intent,thats what seedorf said on the bbc anyway,

didn't look like he touched him to me,but they didn't have any good replays over here

Above & Beyond

lestatdark said:
Slimebeast said:

Anyway, the ref was fantastic until that point. He showed from the start that he wasn't going to allow no filming, no cheating, no dirty tricks. And we got a very clean game without any manipulation by the players (except for the 87th minute red card, Spanish "eye injury"). Okay I wouldn't have mind if he had given Ronaldo one free kick but a couple of the times he well was him diving more than Spanish faults.

Referee had a pretty high amount of bad foul calls for both sides. Some tackles against Ronaldo were way too harsh, and he faked some way too much. Xavi and Iniesta were tackled too often as well. 

This was pretty far from being a superb refereeing. It this were to be considered a good refereeing, then I cringe at the state that FIFA has let the quality of the referees drop. If you want superb refereeing, see the match between Brazil - Chile or Holland - Slovakia. Those two had amazing referees, with almost no bad calls.

I disagree. Most refs call far too much and fall for player manipulation and it all just looks like a comedy with all that diving and faking by grown up men. It's become like a culture of itself, a phenomenon where teams calculate that they're gonna have x amounts of free kick situations no matter if the game actually is dirty & rough or not. That culture must be suppressed and stopped. It's not football.

Today we got an amazingly clean game where they actually played football. No interruptions and that annoying shit which ruins the tempo of games (although Portugal might have had use for some interruptions tonight, to get chances to change momentum, but that's not the point).

It was a very fair game, and both teams "got" or understood the ref and played along his rules, xcept for that red card situation which came like a shock,totally unexpected and ridiculous.

LA FURIA ROJA!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1-0!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHRISTIANO RONALDO IS OUTTTTT :DDDD

lestatdark said:

Yup, Eduardo was my favourite player during the entire WC run of Portugal, by far. I was watching the game in an packed auditorium in my college, and after the game ended and the images of Eduardo crying passed on the screen, everybody stood up and clapped. He's a national hero for us.

Yes, it was shown on German TV as well and our commentator said that everyone understands Eduardo's disappointment and feelings. He didn't deserve to lose that way.

Plus the culture with diving and all the repeated whistle blowing is a culture that favors the strong teams - exactly those teams that FIFA wants to go far in tournaments. It's the main thing how FIFA executes it's corruption, through the frequent referee calls.